Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixed Gear in the Ironman Tri.?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Fixed Gear in the Ironman Tri.?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 01:36 PM
lemurhouse
carpe napum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, you're entitled to your opinion just like everybody else. But maybe you shouldn't be so quick to call BS. I've done penty of triathlons - at all distances, and plenty of open water swims too, at distances 2 and 3 times longer than ironman swims. A wetsuit is an artificial aid. Everyone goes faster wearing a wetsuit. Poor swimmers are helped proportionately more than good swimmers. Everyone can and will get hypothermia if they are in the water long enough. Runners' bodies are typically more susceptible to it than swimmers' bodies. Cold water swimming is nothing new, and there was plenty of it in the early days of triathlon. Sorry if you disagree. Peace.
Old 10-31-06, 03:06 PM
vomitron
ya'll can't mush me

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lemurhouse
OK, you're entitled to your opinion just like everybody else. But maybe you shouldn't be so quick to call BS. I've done penty of triathlons - at all distances, and plenty of open water swims too, at distances 2 and 3 times longer than ironman swims. A wetsuit is an artificial aid. Everyone goes faster wearing a wetsuit. Poor swimmers are helped proportionately more than good swimmers. Everyone can and will get hypothermia if they are in the water long enough. Runners' bodies are typically more susceptible to it than swimmers' bodies. Cold water swimming is nothing new, and there was plenty of it in the early days of triathlon. Sorry if you disagree. Peace.
Yeah, I agree. Try going body surfing with and without a wetsuit at least once in your life and this becomes painfully obvious.

I'm sure tri wetsuits provide an even more evident advantage since they're probably trying to emulate things like those speedo fastskins (if you're not sure what I'm talking about, take a look at just about any olympic swimmer. Those full leggings reduce drag considerably).
Old 10-31-06, 07:26 PM
remorashadow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most tri wetsuits are not designed to emulate a shark's skin as is the case with the speedskin, though it does add buoyancy and makes your body go into a more efficient form by raising your hips, and a few I may not have conveyed it well but I was more calling BS on the fact that wetsuits are more for conformity and something else to spend money on. I believe that going sans wetsuit is more hardcore and all but the sport of triathlon would definitely not be as big or popular without the accessibility provided by wetsuits. The available amount of the year to race as well as the geographical range of races is much larger with the use of a wetsuit, it allows people to do them for fun and exercise, instead of just for competition or sick pleasure. There has to be a relative assurace that there won't be injuries or scores of people going to the hospital due to the race and a wetsuit helps that for cold water. Even sometimes wetsuits aren't enough, last spring for collegiate triathlon nationals, the swim was completely cancelled and the race turned into a du because of the threat of hypothermia.
Old 11-01-06, 06:26 AM
stevo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lemurhouse
[
[open-water hasnt (read: cant) suffer the same fate.]

Even open-water swimming has been compromised. Wetsuits were prohibited until the mid-80s. There was a huge debate then whether or not they should be allowed. The swimmers were generally against. The runners were generally for. Wetsuits make you significantly faster and reduce the hypothermia challenge. The poorer of a swimmer you are, the greater the speed benefit relative to the strong swimmers because of improved body position. The skinnier you are (think marathoners) the more they help reduce hypothermia. Once they allowed wetsuits, you had to wear them to be competitive. (But of course everyone wears them whether they are competing for podium spots or not.) More money, more gear, more conformity, less purity of challenge.
sorry, should have been more clear.....i didnt mean the open-water leg of a tri; i meant open-water events. Wetsuits have been allowed in (most) tris since i started....but to this day (at least in my area) wetsuits have always been illegal in open-water swims. Even if the open-water community did succumb to wetsuits (which i doubt since the community is very different-minded than tri), we're talking 200 bucks in equipment. Its impossible to spend $5k+ like you can in tri.
Old 11-01-06, 06:43 AM
stevo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by remorashadow
Bull****, you ever try swimming in open water for half an hour or more at 65degrees F? it isn't pleasant. The chances of hypothermia are pretty significant.
I find 65 degrees VERY pleasant without a suit after about 15 minutes. Gotta wear two caps though to survive the first 15.

and yeah, anything below 65, or below ~68 for a sprint, my suit goes on.
Old 03-30-10, 09:04 PM
avisualperson

Bikes: black magic stripper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
swimming is the hardest part of a triathlon/ironman; biking is easy, running is easy but proper swimming is all about technique, so much more so than athleticism. you could do the 2.4m but would you really want to do most of it backstroke because you got all winded from the first quarter mile? much respect to the swimmers; I was in the pool this weekend and it was damn hard.
Old 03-30-10, 09:14 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Pretty sure the op isn't really that concerned with this nearly 4 years laters
Old 03-30-10, 09:24 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by wadajoobadude
not to hijack the thread or anything, but has anyone ever heard of a cross-country tour on a fixed? not quite as extreme as an ironman on a fixed, but it would be impressive none the less.
Chris from NY rode 4200 miles CC last summer