Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why do people reduce their cadence on hills? Doesn't this imply inadequate gearing?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why do people reduce their cadence on hills? Doesn't this imply inadequate gearing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 09:40 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
All this talk of power and torque and gravity is stupid. It's psychology.

Your brain says "I can hold this pace in this gear" because you're delusional. You paid $8k for a bike, $2k in gear, and you think you're frickin Pantani. So you don't downshift. You hang on to the delusion far too long, then it's too late to shift.
right...
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 09-09-09, 09:42 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sign up for a race with your triple and see what happens on the hills. If you can hang with the fast guys...more power to you. I've seen it done, although somewhat rare.

Overspinning on hills makes my HR go up too high and limits my total speed output, hence the slower cadence. That works for me.
Old 09-09-09, 09:43 PM
rumatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
OP, the problem you're having is your staunch belief that every rider has an "ideal" cadence that should be maintained, if possible, under all riding conditions, uphill or flat. For reasons that umd has explained pretty well, that's really not true.

I also think that you might be misreading statements you've seen or are referring to an argument that you've had with someone else, because I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread argue that a low cadence is better for climbing. You seem to be kind of locked into a prescriptivist mindset, and seem to be attributing that same mindset to others. The fact of the matter is that most cyclists are more comfortable when climbing at a lower cadence than they would use on the flat. This is more likely to be the case when someone is trying to climb fast. When I've climbed big hills on my touring bike, I've been perfectly happy spinning a low gear and just toodling along, but when I want to climb fast that just doesn't work well, even if I'm putting out similar power.

Of course, if you're spinning along at a nice, pleasant pace next to someone who is just grinding along at 45 RPM and insisting that they are doing everything right, well, they're doing it wrong. Most of us are probably climbing at a cadence noticeably below what we would use on the flats, but still much higher than 60 RPM. I'm generally comfortable at about 80 RPM when climbing seated (if I'm really cranking, my cadence will be higher), if I get below about 75 or so I really start bogging down.

And as Brian Ratliff says, there are compromises to be made when gearing a race bike, though it's not too bad with 10-speed cassettes. But I still won't choose my gearing around one or two steep 200m sections and end up sacrificing a cog that I might put to more use during the rest of the ride. I ride a 12-25 cassette most of the time, and that turns out to be all that's necessary 90% of the time.
I agree with everything you wrote. We may have crossed posts (I wrote a long explanation a couple posts up from yours, but just to clarify.. the two things I wasn't getting right (and UMD and others helped hammer home) were:

1) your ideal cadence isn't constant, but varies based on power output, and

2) putting down more power on hills is beneficial (if you have the fitness to do so) because of the different characteristics of gravity vs wind resistance

I'm happy to admit where I was wrong and misguided. But before anyone tells me it was all obvious, nobody actually explained #2 with the key being that wind resistance is quadratic with your speed. And there were definitely a lot of incorrect explanations in this thread! And to be fair, the original post does ask the question, not declare that others are wrong.

OK,with that disclaimer, I'm ready to be flamed. Bring it on.

Last edited by rumatt; 09-09-09 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-09-09, 09:48 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Again, let's just call umd's explanation good and move on. Much more important things like Fredism and Lance doping for the 41 to discuss.
Old 09-09-09, 10:12 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rumatt
UMD was right and I was wrong when I started arguing that both are the same.

But this doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of dumb asses who have the wrong gearing and are slower because of it.
of course
Old 09-09-09, 10:25 PM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well for me, i have a 53-39 front and a 12-27 rear, i usually climb 39 front 24 rear, with a cadence of about 60, on the flats my cadence is usually about 75-85. I can increase my cadence in 39 front 27 rear, but i go faster for a bit, and then lactic acid builds up and i end up going slower.
Old 09-09-09, 10:44 PM
lemurhouse
carpe napum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think UMD covered the issue and I don't want to re-ignite the debate. But I'll go ahead and be the one to say that riding up hills with taller gearing and lower cadences does indeed make you faster.

I'm not saying that it is itself "faster" or "better" than spinning up hills, simply that there is a big up-side to it and that folks who automatically go to the granny gears miss out. I'm talking relatively lower cadence, not absurdly staggering up some mountain at 30 rpm.

1. It makes you strong, able to push (or spin if you like) a bigger gear up that hill, and therefore faster,
2. It gives you confidence and trains you mentally to use bigger gears and go up faster, whether you mash or spin.

So often I see guys drop down to low gears as soon as the road tilts up. Lower and slower than they need to go to. Maybe they think they have to maintain some mythical perfect cadence, or want their CV systems to do most of the work, like Lance. But usually I think they just go low because the gears are available to them and because using them involves less pain. Or less intense pain, anyway. I personally think there's less total pain in getting to the top quickly and not dragging it out. Riding fixed gear up and down hills trains you for power (up) as well as spinning (down) so you become better equipped to go up those hills fast, whether you spin or mash, either one.

I know this is not what the OP was asking, precisely, but sometimes folks just think things too much. Ride more and attack the hills. Your legs and your lungs will figure out what works best for you. What works best for you won't be the same as for other people, or necessarily as yourself as you gain or lose fitness. Armchair physics won't do it. JMO.
Old 09-09-09, 10:52 PM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sirious94
well for me, i have a 53-39 front and a 12-27 rear, i usually climb 39 front 24 rear, with a cadence of about 60, on the flats my cadence is usually about 75-85. I can increase my cadence in 39 front 27 rear, but i go faster for a bit, and then lactic acid builds up and i end up going slower.
sounds like you need to find some bigger hills.

ive got the same combo. i think 12-27 is the best cassette for a double. i don't see the advantage of a 25. why settle for a 25 when its only the last two gears that are different? the bigger jump keeps the spacing more consistent, rather than tighter at that end.

12-25: 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25
12-27: 12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24-27
Old 09-09-09, 10:52 PM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HEy power geeks. Beginner PM user here with an ancient PT.

Why is it harder to maintain say 200 W constant uphill regardless of cadence or gearing, than maintaining 220 W on the flats. HR creeps up, you get more winded. Uphill means 7% plus.

If I can circumvent this, I could probably really spin up higher when climbing

They said power is power, but I am a bit confused what is going on. OK I'll go to the racing training sections but maybe this is related why most spin down a bit when on an incline.
Old 09-09-09, 10:54 PM
yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe sitting up allows for more force (torque) to be exerted. Not much wind resistance on the hills, so you can sit up and crank a lower rpm. On the flats, you are folded over at the waist more, so it pays to spin a higher cadence (lower torque).
I usually use a higher cadence for more strenuous efforts and a lower cadence to tool around. I think that umd said the same thing earlier. The idea that you lower your cadence to put out more power on the hills does not jive with that.
B/t/w - I typically ride 88 rpm on the flats, and am happy if it is 80 on the hills. I'm a puss, though, and run out of gearing on lots of sustained 8% hills.
Old 09-09-09, 11:10 PM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by logdrum

Why is it harder to maintain say 200 W constant uphill regardless of cadence or gearing, than maintaining 220 W on the flats. HR creeps up, you get more winded. Uphill means 7% plus.

They said power is power, but I am a bit confused what is going on. OK I'll go to the racing training sections but maybe this is related why most spin down a bit when on an incline.
usually the 7%+ stuff doesn't stay the same grade the whole time. Anyhow, if you want to win a HCTT, then you should put out more power (digging deeper) during the steep sections than you do for the non steep sections.
Old 09-09-09, 11:30 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Interesting, it's usually the opposite. On the google wattage group this comes up from time to time and I'm not sure of the reason but there are some people that can maintain power on flats or the descent better than on climbs. I think it may be due somewhat to motivational issues and muscle development (i.e. you use stronger muscles riding on the flats).
Old 09-10-09, 04:44 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Interesting, it's usually the opposite. On the google wattage group this comes up from time to time and I'm not sure of the reason but there are some people that can maintain power on flats or the descent better than on climbs. I think it may be due somewhat to motivational issues and muscle development (i.e. you use stronger muscles riding on the flats).
+1

Although I think it comes down to body postion. Try climbing in the TT position and see if you can exceed your FTP for 5 minutes. When I climb, I am pretty upright and non-aero in comparison.
Old 09-10-09, 05:17 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I agree with everything you wrote. We may have crossed posts (I wrote a long explanation a couple posts up from yours, but just to clarify.. the two things I wasn't getting right (and UMD and others helped hammer home) were:

1) your ideal cadence isn't constant, but varies based on power output, and

2) putting down more power on hills is beneficial (if you have the fitness to do so) because of the different characteristics of gravity vs wind resistance

I'm happy to admit where I was wrong and misguided. But before anyone tells me it was all obvious, nobody actually explained #2 with the key being that wind resistance is quadratic with your speed. And there were definitely a lot of incorrect explanations in this thread! And to be fair, the original post does ask the question, not declare that others are wrong.

OK,with that disclaimer, I'm ready to be flamed. Bring it on.
Here's the point you're not getting. Given identical power at 80 vs 100rpm on the hills, calculate the TORQUE at the rear wheels and the linear thrust at the contact patch. Plug this into f=ma and see what the difference in vertical-acceleration would be. While power may be an indicator of top-speed on the flats, because you're pushing aside air (a integration of force relative to distance vs. time), the only thing that matters on hills is the force that's pushing (accelerating) you upwards against gravity. It's possible to have two gears that lays down identical power, yet the force on the ground is vastly different.

Go back to the series of equations you posted earlier and plug in identical power, but vary the RPM and you'll see that force on the ground will be different.
Old 09-10-09, 05:56 AM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
I find myself in this boat too. Although I don't have a power setup, I do record ride mileages, times, and a subjective description of ride conditions. Apparently I'm getting stronger and faster on flats but my performance on hillier rides seems to not be improving. As you said, maybe to due unconscious motivational issues or technique but the ever so basic data I collect seems to support that conclusion.

Guess I need power huh?
Old 09-10-09, 06:37 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
I climb at a lower cadence than on the flats, usuallly 70-80 vs 90+, with gears to spare, so it's not a matter of running out of gears per se. My typical climbs are around 6%-9% and I have gearing suited to that. For steeper sections I don't mind grinding it out. I'm not going to carry gearing that I won't want 99% of the time.
Unlike almost most of the answers to the OP's question this one doesn't make the poster look an idiot or a braggart.
Old 09-10-09, 06:45 AM
timeedgevxr

Bikes: Time VXR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um.. no?

It was implied that "high cadence" == "slow". I'm disputing that very broad, and incorrect statement.

I really don't understand what everyone is so upset about by this thread. The answer to my question is not nearly as obvious as most are making it seem.
Nobody is upset about the thread - there might be some frustration with your ignorance, but...

On flats, you have momentum, less force is required, hence allowing you to work your more efficient muscle groups (they operate better with less force and higher rpm as previously mentioned). On a hill, the laws of flat ground get thrown out the window. There will always come a point that you can't possibly match your cadence. If you ever see video of Lance climbing Leadville on a mountain bike with a 22/34 (that's a .64:1 --- about as low as you can get), he's barely turning 50rpm on some of the steep sections.

Lets talk about your hill - a 7 mile, 6% grade with occasional 10's. Don't jump to conclusions delineating triples from doubles. Your triple is a 30/27? That's a 1.11:1 ratio. My wife went from a triple to a compact double running a 34/28 (1.21:1) and she can barely tell the difference. So if you see someone with a double, don't assume they're a hypocrite, their gearing might not be all that much different from yours.

Personally, I know what I'm climbing and I gear accordingly - If I'm doing a ride in the flats, I'll run an 11-23 cassette - or on something steep (like Brasstown), I'll run an 11-28. I can't turn a 23T up Brasstown, but on flats (where cadence is easier to control), I like the narrow margins because I'm going within 5-7mph of a certain pace the entire time. Not so on a climb - I want all the gear I can get just to get up the hill - regardless of cadence.

As metioned before - you are digging WAY to deep in to this. There's either some serious disconnect with what it really takes to get up 7mile / 6%+ hill, or I call "TROLL".

Last edited by timeedgevxr; 09-10-09 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-10-09, 07:07 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I get it. The answer to my question is that yes, there's a good chance reducing your cadence on hills makes sense. But why?

The key (and without this the whole thing changes) is that air resistances increases quadratically with your speed, but gravity is a constant force. UMD was right and I was wrong when I started arguing that both are the same.

In other words:

With gravity: If you're climbing straight up, if you double your power, you double your speed.
With wind resistance (flats): If you double your power, you do NOT double your speed. It becomes diminishing returns very quickly.
The relationship between power and air drag is a cube. If you neglect rolling resistance then you have to increase power by a factor of EIGHT to double speed on the flat.

The result is that it's better bang for the buck to put down power on hills. Thus, even in a time trial (where the break-away-from-the-pack aspect is nonexistant) you should vary your power output and increase it on hills to minimize total time.
No, it's not that simple. Time over "cruise" power will cost you more energy lost in recovery than the extra energy you put out.

More power does NOT require a lower cadence, but once you are changing your power output you might start hitting the limits of your cardiovascular system, thus the only way to go faster is to use more leg and sacrifice some of your fast twitch muscle (even though once used it's much slower to recover).
The key to riding a road race fast is positioning - and twitch muscle is your key to getting it. If you burn twitch muscle up doing a hill you've mis-played your hand.

But climbing a hill isn't just about power. FORCE is also important. If the amount of force a rider puts out is equal to the component gravity resolved along the hill (ie (total bike and rider weight) * sine(slope angle)) then he literally won't move - because the force pulling him back will be equal to his propulsive force. So a rider is rewarded not for the total force his muscles exert but the surplus over the minimum required to "hover". This increases the payoff for extra effort.

The fitter and better trained and genetically endowed people can make this effort without drifting too far from optimal cadence, but the less fit people are forced to go lower to exert the optimal amount of force, which is what matters in climbing.
Old 09-10-09, 07:08 AM
bitingduck

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Or training...

I spend a lot of time training at very high intensity on the track and as a result I think I find it easier to bury myself on the flats than most people do, though I can do the same in the mountains if I want, too (living at the base of some decent sized ones). But motivation and muscle development are both aspects of that training, so you're still right...
Old 09-10-09, 07:22 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timeedgevxr
Nobody is upset about the thread - there might be some frustration with your ignorance, but...
That would imply most of the posters know more than the OP. I would say rather most of them are resentful at being confused or the thought they might be doing something wrong. You sound very defensive.

On flats, you have momentum, less force is required, hence allowing you to work your more efficient muscle groups (they operate better with less force and higher rpm as previously mentioned).
And you have a lot to be defensive about. If you had said "On flats you don't have a force as strong as the force of gravity on a hill to work against" - which is what I think you meant to say - that would have been correct, although trite.

On a hill, the laws of flat ground get thrown out the window. There will always come a point that you can't possibly match your cadence. If you ever see video of Lance climbing Leadville on a mountain bike with a 22/34 (that's a .64:1 --- about as low as you can get), he's barely turning 50rpm on some of the steep sections.
Correct.

Lets talk about your hill - a 7 mile, 6% grade with occasional 10's. Don't jump to conclusions delineating triples from doubles. Your triple is a 30/27? That's a 1.11:1 ratio. My wife went from a triple to a compact double running a 34/28 (1.21:1) and she can barely tell the difference. So if you see someone with a double, don't assume they're a hypocrite, their gearing might not be all that much different from yours.
Is there really a need to use terms like "hypocrite"?

Personally, I know what I'm climbing
Splendid! You can recognize an uphill slope - this may be the next step in human evolution.

As metioned before - you are digging WAY to deep in to this. There's either some serious disconnect with what it really takes to get up 7mile / 6%+ hill, or I call "TROLL".
I call "DEFENSIVE!" If you're not interested in discussing this, then just don't read the thread. If you feel obliged to post denigrating the OP then you feel threatened. HTFU!
Old 09-10-09, 07:24 AM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow... this thread, talk about over-analyzing!

Personally, maybe it's my physiology, genetics, etc, but the better I stay in my happy cadence, which for the flats is around 95-105, but climbing, I noticed it drops to about maybe 85-95, the faster and more fluid I get up the hill. When I'm in a higher gear to save a few gears or whatever and my cadence drops below 80 or so, I burn out much faster.

*shrug*

Don't know... works for me. Chugga-chugga-chugga up that hill! Popovich that b*tch!
Old 09-10-09, 07:30 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by bitingduck
Or training...
Hey Chris, I hope you and all your animals made it through the fire O.K.
Old 09-10-09, 07:44 AM
Lamp-Shade
Bulimic Arsonist.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UMD > This thread.
Why are we even still posting in this OH SHI-
Old 09-10-09, 07:45 AM
logdrum
Headset-press carrier

Bikes: Kona with Campy 8, Lynskey Ti with Rival, Bianchi pista, Raleigh Team Frame with SRAM Red, Specialized Stump Jumper, Surley Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Yeah I know that it should be or at least the same. Motivated for sure and my highest recorded power is on climbs in spurts and surges. Yeah muscle development plus lung capacity. Just why I am getting winded on climbs when I try to push the same watts that I can hold for a long time in the flats ? Need to identify what muscle groups and train the lungs more but probably do that on the flats as you can do intervals there. My wife who read this said I am not using the core enough. She is a body worker and horse/vaulting trainer

I guess the goal is to lower all the physiological efforts (HR specifically) while maintaining what I can now on the flats. Use core use ass/glutes

Also even though I've lived here for a while now, some of our long climbs start at 7K going to 12K and the higher the altitude you can't put out a lot even on the descents. Need more lung. When I go over to my sister's in the East Bay, I can climb those hills faster the first days I am there, but that Cali pollution finally gets to me.

Last edited by logdrum; 09-10-09 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-10-09, 07:57 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also even though I've lived here for a while now, some of our long climbs start at 7K going to 12K and the higher the altitude you can't put out a lot even on the descents. Need more lung.
And that is one of the reasons I miss living in NM. I lived in Albuquerque and got over the hill issue by riding from my apartment to Sandia Peak every Saturday for two months, 70 mi round trip with ~6,300 ft elevation gain (Sun would be more rolling hills). I was getting about 12,000-13,000 per week.

When you think about it, in the saddle going up a climb, you're pushing differently on the pedals. You've leaned forward a little more and the pendulum has roatated relative to your position. Basically, in the pedal rotation, your knee is now further back in the stroke when the crank arm is horizontal. I find this forces me to use my glutes more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.