Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Furnace Creek Bike Choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-06, 01:03 PM
slisk
old and slow

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Roubaix, 2005 Cervelo P3 SL, Union Freetime, 2006 Look 585 Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Furnace Creek Bike Choice

Howdy,

I'm a newby to ultracycling and think it is the direction I am heading and will end up on the starting line in one of the next few Furnace Creek 508 races. I have been searching the net for info from riders about past bike and equipment lists. I'm only interested in what multiple bikes they brought for the race, and how they set them up. I'm building another bike soon and might make a descent specific bike for the real tough roads. I'm a bit of a technoweenie, so I like to hear about hi tech special weapons built for a purpose. Thanks!

Slisk
Old 10-27-06, 01:57 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by slisk
I'm a bit of a technoweenie, so I like to hear about hi tech special weapons built for a purpose.
This guy just finished the 508 on a very purpose built hi tech special weapon:

The Long Haul Blog

He talks about descending at 50mph+.
Old 11-02-06, 02:07 PM
ronsmithjunior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was the crew chief for a solo, rookie rider on this year's 508. He had a Scott bike for the climbs and a Cervelo TT bike for the flats. Honestly, it was a bit of a PITA to switch between the two. The terrain of the 508 is such that even on the climbs you want a cross between the two. Ideally he would have had aero bars on the Scott. The Cervelo had tri style handlebars and a disk wheel. Who knows if it made any difference.

Take a look at the pics from the 508, note what types of bikes the solo riders have, and then note whether or not they are veterans. I'd say that they veterans would go for comfort first. Any compromise for aerodynamic efficiency doesn't mean much once you body gets too battered to get into the position.

A few riders had mountain bikes with slick tires for the rougher roads. That is taking it a bit far. Having a bigger tire choice for later in the race is a good idea.

My opinion is to have a good all around bike that you like to ride. Avoid bike changes because they take up time if you are in follow-car mode (at night and optionally the second day), and it interrupts your rhythm.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 11-05-06, 10:58 AM
lemurhouse
carpe napum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any views on the guys who did it fixed gear? I saw before the race that there were four or five guys who were riding fixed...there is a separate fixed category now. They all seemed to have chosen to ride around 73 gear inches. How did they fare, any any lessons learned there?