Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

200 miles in two days ona fix?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-07, 03:23 PM
Rancid

Bikes: Chromoly Allez comp with Ultegra/DA, IRO Rob Roy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I want to do the seattle to portland ride this summer and I've been thinking about doing it on my fixie. I would do the two day version if I took the fixie and would start training for it soon, but it still kind of seems sketch just for the sheer distance in two days. Anyone have any experience in ultra endurance rides on fixies? Give me your thoughts and advice!
Old 02-20-07, 03:25 PM
TheRobbStory
Legend in my own bedroom

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Paramount,, Cinelli Unica, Colnago Sprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did Tampa to Orlando and back last April on a track bike; about 180 miles. Not the most comfortable way to do it, but it's definitely possible. The weird looks and comments from people riding the same route were the best part about it.
Old 02-20-07, 03:26 PM
humancongereel
live free or die trying

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rancid
So I want to do the seattle to portland ride this summer and I've been thinking about doing it on my fixie. I would do the two day version if I took the fixie and would start training for it soon, but it still kind of seems sketch just for the sheer distance in two days. Anyone have any experience in ultra endurance rides on fixies? Give me your thoughts and advice!
for sure. the 15th is my birthday, so i was going to do that, and i had no worries in my mind about making the trip on a fix.
Old 02-20-07, 03:26 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
i've never done it before, but i think you should go for it! some things to remember:

1. train with long rides.
2. get comfortable enough to spend that kind of time in the saddle.
3. eat during the rides - a bloody lot.
Old 02-20-07, 03:29 PM
humancongereel
live free or die trying

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i guess i was also thinking of it from the standpoint of doing most of my day in the saddle anyway, and just working harder at it...i wouldn't expect to be easy for anyone at anypoint, but i think that's part of the fun. the challenge. i think with enough leg muscle and, more importantly, enough heart or determination or whatever, it'd be just fine.
Old 02-20-07, 03:29 PM
Rancid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by humancongereel
for sure. the 15th is my birthday, so i was going to do that, and i had no worries in my mind about making the trip on a fix.
looking for a riding partner?
Old 02-20-07, 03:31 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Last year's route was mostly flat, as was the year before so it's do-able. There's some long, low rise hills so don't pick anything too steep for your gearing. Last year there was a long 7% grade.
Props to ya if you have the endurance to spin it out on a fixed.
Old 02-20-07, 03:34 PM
monsterkidz
monster

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am supposed to be flying out west to do this ride also. My friend is a personal trainer in Vancouver. He rode STP last year and had a blast, so this year I might do it with him. I was going to do it on my roadie, didn't even think about doing it fixed. I did the Montauk Century last year fixed (48x18) and that ended up being closer to 150 miles after all was said and done. It wasn't horrible, but I know I'd be more comfy being able to coast a little.
Old 02-20-07, 03:35 PM
scotthorrigan
Bikes Not Scott

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i organized a boston to providence race and it was just under 50 miles and everyone did it in 2 - 2 and a half hours. so in a day if you take it at your own pace, you could easily pull 100 miles a day.
Old 02-20-07, 03:39 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
i did the two-day 2005 STP on a fixie. for training i rode the lake washington loop weekly and threw in a century or two. i used 14x40 for gearing, which is just small enough to get up the 7% grade, and big enough that i could hang in the pacelines on the flats. i might try to use a bigger gear this time around since the course generally flat.

besides that one hill (in auburn i think) the ride wasn't too bad. on the 2nd day i had some knee-pains, but go figure, i was riding an f-in fixie 100 miles a day! i'm thinking about the one-day option for the 2007 STP, but i'm not sure that my knees can take it.

maybe i'll just bring some booze or advil, or both.

anyway, it's certainly doable, and we weren't the only fixies in the pack, although there weren't many. the biggest thing is that you want to get the right gear-ratio, you'll need to tinker with that on your training rides to see what's best for you.

my race videos
Old 02-20-07, 03:45 PM
sinkFLsink
Fixed Fight Alumni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's the "Ride Without Limits" benefiting United Cerebral Palsy...it's happening here in Tampa as well. The thing is, your entry fee is $80 and you have to commit to raise $1800. Obviously a good cause, but those are big numbers. Here is a link to the race site with more info... www.ridewithoutlimits.org
Old 02-20-07, 03:51 PM
BeantownFixed

Bikes: Peugeot PX 10, Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scotthorrigan
i organized a boston to providence race and it was just under 50 miles and everyone did it in 2 - 2 and a half hours. so in a day if you take it at your own pace, you could easily pull 100 miles a day.
When was this and will it happen again?
Old 02-20-07, 03:53 PM
humancongereel
live free or die trying

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looking for a riding partner?

i wish, dude. i'm living in columbus, ohio now...so that changed some of my plans, like riding to the naccc and doing the stp. i hear there are centuries aplenty out here, not to mention i'm closer to ragbrai, but...damn, i still want to do the stp. if i end up being able to traverse the country again to do a double century for my birthday, i'll let you know--i'd love riding with you.
Old 02-20-07, 03:54 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been kicking around doing a one day STP fixed this year. I did it in one day with gears last year and it wasn't too bad. I finished in just under 12 hours.

If we can get a group together I might be up for it. If anyone's down for a Lake Washington Loop training (or whatever) ride, see my post in rides & races.

*edit* Two days? Totally doable.
Old 02-20-07, 03:54 PM
sinkFLsink
Fixed Fight Alumni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Diego, CA Sep 8-9
Portland, OR Sep 29-30
**********???, NC Oct 13-14
Tampa Bay, FL Nov 17-18
Old 02-20-07, 03:55 PM
humancongereel
live free or die trying

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what are those dates?
Old 02-20-07, 03:57 PM
sinkFLsink
Fixed Fight Alumni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by humancongereel
what are those dates?
The dates this 200 mile race is taking place for the Ride Without Limits thing...different 200 miles, but somewhat related since it's in Portland.
Old 02-20-07, 03:58 PM
okpik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
depends on what kind of condition your in, ive done it, its no big deal, I will be doing it again for the TOSRV probably
Old 02-20-07, 03:58 PM
humancongereel
live free or die trying

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, the cerebral palsy ride. somehow it slipped past me that you'd posted that, so i didn't realize which post you were following up on.
Old 02-20-07, 04:00 PM
SamHouston
Good Afternoon!

Bikes: Various by application

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can do that ride just fine even w/out training, 2 days is a long time. 200 miles seems a lot at first glance, the way a first century seems a lot. A hundred miles is a lot when you're pushing to keep it at 5 hours or under, but 200 miles is a cakewalk when you divide it into 2 10-hour days of riding. That's just 10mph if you only take 10 hours a day, usually 12+ hours are available on tour & charity rides.

Do it, you'll love it.
Old 02-20-07, 04:00 PM
Ken Cox
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here in Oregon we have an organized ride that does 500 miles in seven days.

My wife has encouraged me to do this ride on my fixed gear bike, but I find the elevation gains too daunting.

I have considered a ride from Bend to Portland, about 165 miles.

My physical therapist has suggested I try Bend to Bachelor, and if I can do this I can do Bend to Portland.

I've started training for Bachelor, and I find the uphill part not that bad at 72 gear inches, but at a little over an hour my normally comfortable saddle starts to raise some issues.
I think I need to either spend more time in the saddle or consider getting off for a snack and a sip every hour.

The Seattle - Portland ride sounds very interesting.
Where can I get more info about this, and, on these kinds of rides to people get off their bikes and refresh themselves regularly?
Or, perhaps each organized ride has its own culture(s).

In any event, I would like to see more organzied fixed gear rides.
I do a training ride here in Bend of about 12.5 miles in 50 minutes (through traffic), and I often wonder how fast a really fit and skilled rider could do the same ride, and what gear inch ratio they would choose.

Anyway, on the Seattle to Portland ride, I could take the train to Seattle (a beautiful train ride) and ride my bike back to Portland and maybe on to Bend.

Hm.
Old 02-20-07, 04:03 PM
dirtyphotons
antisocialite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ken Cox
consider getting off for a snack and a sip every hour.
that's how i do long distance rides. the ms150 was downright pleasant on my fixed gear because i got off and walked around every ten or so miles.
Old 02-20-07, 04:09 PM
dr.mojo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
endurance fixie rides

I have done 6 doubles fixed, as have some friends of mine. Plus we rode across the country, fixed, averaging 135 miles per day (225 was the longest, Big Fix 2006) If you train, you can do anything. Start in lower gear--high 60's to mid 70's, work your downhill spin, then if you are strong enough, move up to high 70's, even low 80's (I have ridden over 140 miles in a day in 83", lots of climbing)
Get a brooks saddle tho!!! Chafing/sore bum is the worst of it all.
Cheers and good luck!
mOjO
Old 02-20-07, 04:09 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
STP info. The 2007 route map is not posted yet but should be similar to previous years. I'll look around.
Old 02-20-07, 04:10 PM
Rancid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Cox

The Seattle - Portland ride sounds very interesting.
Where can I get more info about this, and, on these kinds of rides to people get off their bikes and refresh themselves regularly?
Or, perhaps each organized ride has its own culture(s).
all the info in the world:

www.seattletoportland.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.