Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

To build a fixie or not to build a fixie - that's the question . . .

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07, 04:00 PM
ryanspeer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For those of you with fixie's, how/when do you typically whip 'em out of the garage/house and ride them? Jaunts to the corner store? Constant-pace rides on a bike-friendly trail? During the off-season from racing only, or do you incorporate it into your year-round training, too?

I have a 35mi RT trail very near my house that's basically level the whole way, and have started thinking recently that it might be fun to build up a fixie for jaunts out there - just something different for a change of pace. The possibility that it might be a relatively inexpensive build makes it more appealing.

What would be a good starter fixie to start thinking about? Perhaps an older steel bike of some sort?

I'm basically just starting to entertain the idea and am wondering what ya'all do.
Old 02-26-07, 04:06 PM
Da Tinker
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My fixie conversion is used for short rides, late-night rides, bar runs, bad weather, and the occasional run to the store.

It's built up from an old steel Bianchi frame I got off Ebay for $40, a set of 27" wheels for $45, and so on. The Crank Candy C pedals & Brooks B-17 are over 1/2 of the total budget.

I've got very long legs, so a fixie my size has proven very hard for just anyone to ride off on. Hence the use on rides where I don't want to risk one of my road bikes.
Old 02-26-07, 04:20 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Base season training, recovery rides, and just for a change of pace now and then.

Kinda fun to show up with the Fixed Gear on a group ride with people that aren't as fast as they think they are on $5,000 CF bikes.
Old 02-26-07, 04:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Mine is my daily commuter so 90% of my rides are under 10 miles, but I'll occasionally take it out for a 25-30 miler. It's geared pretty low (42-16 = 69 gear inches) for the stop and start of city riding but out on the open road, it requires a high cadence (110 rpm to go 20mph). And that's not a bad side effect.

I converted an '89 Trek 660. It probably cost $250 out of pocket. I set it up so that my fit is nearly identical to my Trek 5200. I run both front and rear brakes, standard road drops, full fenders, and Mr. Tuffy tire liners. It's certainly not the lightest bike in the stable, but when you get spinning it develops a momentum of its own. I love this bike.

Old 02-26-07, 04:25 PM
steaktaco
bannned

Bikes: black bike, white bike, blue bike, yellow bike, silver bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2 fixies—one at 48x14 for track use only, one at 39x18 for gettin' around. before I worked from home I would commute 16 miles round trip (I know, not far, but within the city of chicago that seems far).

Old 02-26-07, 04:49 PM
ryanspeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's another question: how much time did it take you to get used to not being able to freewheel? I imagine that'd be the hardest thing for me to get used to - especially needing to apply reverse pressure to help slow myself down (although I'd certainly add brakes just for safety's sake). I work in downtown Seattle and see messengers every day with fixies and they don't seem to have many problems, but it just seems like it'd be so akward to get used to.
Old 02-26-07, 04:55 PM
hairlessbill
Daily Rider

Bikes: 89 Bridgestone MB-3, 93 Bridgestone RB-1,93 Bridgestone MB-1, 95 Klein Fervor, 02 BikeE AT, 06 Surly Cross-check, 8? Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use mine for commuting and around-town rides. 42x16 gearing. It's a converted Panasonic DX4000 I got for $60.00. Bought a fixed rear wheel from IRO cycles, replaced the bars, pedals seat, and reused parts (cranks, headset, brakes) that came with the bike. Build details.

1993BstoneRB1
2007IROSSBFGS
1986PanasonicDX4000
2014E-JOE
Old 02-26-07, 04:56 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i use mine as part of my regular training schedule. for me it just adds variety to the routine. if i'm doing a flatish ride for 2 hours or less i usually grab the fixed gear. it doesn't take much time to get used to not coasting, the bike will remind you when you forget.
put a front brake on and use it. i have road bars with hoods and my position is relatively close to my geared bike position, so it's easy to switch between the two.
Old 02-26-07, 04:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

There's definitely a learning curve. I think it took a week or two (or say 100 miles) before it felt natural to me. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I remember spending a lot of time whispering to myself, "Don't stop pedaling! Don't stop pedaling!" And then you'd forget because you would go over a rough patch and your instinct is to stand up and bunnyhop or at least try to float over it. That's when the bike would remind you, immediately and quite forcefully, to keep pedaling.

But it's not awkward at all. In fact after you've been riding fixed for awhile, coasting starts to feel weird.
Old 02-26-07, 04:59 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I have one I used for almost all my training over this past winter. I have just recently switched back to mostly geared bike riding. I'm planning to gear it down a bit and use it around town and for the occasional recovery ride this summer.
Old 02-26-07, 05:02 PM
ryanspeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another thought . . . do you find them really useful on a trainer? I currently slap my rain/commuter on the trainer to avoid the wear on my race bike, but often still find that I just don't flip through a ton of gears. I'll up the cadence quite frequently, but the gears remain largely unused. I imagine a fixie could be useful here too, right?

I'm liking this whole idea more and more now. I always see old steel Trek's, Bianchi's, Giant's, etc., on Craigslist, and realize this really could be $250 or less. Probably even in the sub-$200 range.

Do/did most of you just buy single-speed conversion kits, have to buy single-speed-specific wheels, or just what?
Old 02-26-07, 05:12 PM
mezza

Bikes: Steel geared. Steel Fix.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My fix is a track conversion.

Cecil Walker custom build with bullhorns and a bmx brake lever. Schweet
Old 02-26-07, 05:15 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by ryanspeer
Another thought . . . do you find them really useful on a trainer? I currently slap my rain/commuter on the trainer to avoid the wear on my race bike, but often still find that I just don't flip through a ton of gears. I'll up the cadence quite frequently, but the gears remain largely unused. I imagine a fixie could be useful here too, right?

I'm liking this whole idea more and more now. I always see old steel Trek's, Bianchi's, Giant's, etc., on Craigslist, and realize this really could be $250 or less. Probably even in the sub-$200 range.

Do/did most of you just buy single-speed conversion kits, have to buy single-speed-specific wheels, or just what?
Funny you should ask. I have no idea. I built up my fixie as a rain bike specifically because I hate the trainer so much. I realize that there's a lot of training benefit to a good trainer workout, but I like to ride my bike to get out and see the world outside and I'd rather get wet.

As to building one up, you have a lot of options. Personally, I think a 70s or 80s road bike is a good way to go. You need to find one with horizontal dropouts, preferably the long Campy 1010 dropouts. And you need a rear wheel with a fixed hub.

Check out Sheldon's site: www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed
Old 02-26-07, 05:29 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I started with a Schwinn Le Tour for $40 on ebay. Then replaced the wheels and cranks. I rode fixed from the get-go, and didn't take me long to get used to it. The harder part is, initially, when you go back and forth. You'll try to coast for half a second on the fixie, and on the geared you'll forget to coast --or funnier-- go to backpedal to slow down.

I then bought a Kona Paddy Wagon and moved parts over. I ride it to work (28mi RT), to the bar (instead of my ex$pen$ive geared road bikes). I ride it on slower rides with the girlfriend or when I'm just loafing around, and I'll go do cadence intervals too. It's a great change-up and I don't reserve it for winter riding only. I'll ride it on the rollers, but I actually prefer the freewheel bike on the rollers so I'm not lazy on the upstroke.

Here's mine, total cost near $500ish (I think)
Old 02-26-07, 05:41 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got mine so I can ride with the wife...it keeps my under 26mph and that is her upper limit...

I also use it for a short runs or flat rides under 30 miles...it has a trackish set up that would kill my neck after more than 2 hours...

its ok to train with on rollers...

over all, I love the thing and I love that I got it new for 300 flat...
Old 02-26-07, 05:46 PM
jbhowat
@ Checkmate Cycling

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the benefit to training is that you will be forced to increase your cadence, and it can create a kind of "fartlek" training if you have any kind of rolling terrain near you. That said I don't think you are losing out if you don't incorporate fixed gear riding into your training - you just need to be sure you work on cadence and constant pedaling on the road bike. I think it could mix things up nicely though. I'm tired of commuting on my very aggressive (brakeless, big gear, HUGE drop, smallish frame) fixed gear setup - I use a Schwinn Suburban mostly now - fenders, gears, upright position - its great.

That said, next fall I have a frame that fits me that I plan on building into a fixed gear road bike. I'd like to get a saddle similar if not identical to what I ride with on the road, some cheapish dual pivot brakes, etc. I'll need bottle cages, clipless pedals, and some training tires. I'm going to set the gearing so that I will be spinning pretty fast on flat roads.

I plan to use it as part of my base training when I'm trying to keep the HR down anyway.
Old 02-26-07, 05:48 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a conversion pretty cheap, rode it a few times, and got something nicer. Now I have two fixed bikes - one for around town, and one set up like my road bike for longer road rides.
Old 02-26-07, 05:59 PM
Ghostman
Struggling at the Back

Bikes: Bianchi Virata, Gunnar Crosshairs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marqueemoon
I bought a conversion pretty cheap, rode it a few times, and got something nicer. Now I have two fixed bikes - one for around town, and one set up like my road bike for longer road rides.
Off topic: Marquee Moon: Maybe the best guitar album of all time....
Old 02-26-07, 07:12 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Here's another question: how much time did it take you to get used to not being able to freewheel? .

One ride. you start to coast at a high rate of speed, you learn yourlesson quickly
Old 02-26-07, 07:13 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

as long as people are posting their fixed gear bikes:

Old 02-26-07, 07:41 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
as long as people are posting their fixed gear bikes:

That's my size too. I hate you.
Old 02-26-07, 07:44 PM
terry b
Erstwhile Trogon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last year I rode my geared bikes on the weekends and my single gear bikes on evening rides after work. Made for a nice combination.
Old 02-26-07, 07:48 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
The real question is will I ever get my fixie or did I get ripped off.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Seller said his LBS would ship...then they hadn't so he was picking it up to ship it...then the LBS did ship it but they also shipped me another one of his bikes and can I ship that back to him. Meanwhile I don't have any tracking info or a bike...I have no clue if this thing is going to show up or not....I am thinking I may be out $520.
Old 02-26-07, 07:51 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Mine started life as a Raleigh Technium mountain bike. I threw away everything but the frame and fork, cut off the canty mounts and repainted it.

Then I built it back up with a Surley hub 700c wheelset and bits and pieces that I had around the house. I think that the only parts I had to buy were the hubs and track cog, front brake and lever, bottom bracket, and handlebar tape. Actually, I trade wrenching with a local bike shop for bike parts so I have zero out of pocket cost.
Old 02-26-07, 08:03 PM
pedex
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
Here's another question: how much time did it take you to get used to not being able to freewheel? I imagine that'd be the hardest thing for me to get used to - especially needing to apply reverse pressure to help slow myself down (although I'd certainly add brakes just for safety's sake). I work in downtown Seattle and see messengers every day with fixies and they don't seem to have many problems, but it just seems like it'd be so akward to get used to.
depends on how much you ride it, everyday for about a week and you will forget what a freewheel feels like

learn to skid and/or skip skid and brakes become pretty much irrelevant

2 weeks ago was the first time I rode a freewheel bike in months, it felt broken for the better part of a day when I was riding it, then got back on fixed gear today, fixed gear felt weird for about 2 hours this morning , now Im ok again

once you learn what each pedal stroke means distance wise and what cadence means speed wise, judging your stopping efforts gets to be pretty automatic, that only takes a few days for most it seems, other maneuvers some people never ever learn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.