Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Old cast steel lugs, who made them?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-24, 10:58 AM
Wiel

Bikes: Home made

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I bought a batch of old cast steel lugs from the fifties. Very elaborate but not investment casted. They are numbered (probably for the catalog).
This is a set for a ladies bike toplug 69 and lower lug 101.
Maybe they were made by EKLA ? Does some one have a catalog? I only have found a page on fork-crowns so far.....

Cast steel from the fifties
Old 02-14-24, 12:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
That's interesting, I don't think I ever saw cast lugs before the IC era. Crowns and bb shells only.
Old 02-14-24, 03:14 PM
Wiel

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The Fonteyn whole salers catalog from 1950 had these :
Old 02-14-24, 03:44 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
Sand cast fittings have been used and have a thicker/cruder look (usually) compared to IC/lost wax ones. Of course this is dependent on the maker's willingness to take the time to file/finish the "rough" castings. But in general sand cast weigh more and are made at a slower rate and/or with more workers to begin with. I think I have a sand cast fork crown in my stash.

This ID question might be of interest to the C&V sub forum members. classic-rendezvous-lightweight-vinta...oglegroups.com is another on line group of older lightweight bike collectors that might be able to help. On this forum Doug Fattic might be the most knowledgeable. Andy
Old 02-14-24, 04:40 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
I have a box of old Hetchins lugs, that spans the era where sand-cast lugs were giving way to formed sheetmetal, welded lugs, so some of them are cast, some welded. The cast ones are the coolest but definitely require thinning. I think the older casting process didn't allow such thin fine features — molten steel might now flow all the way into the thin parts? So they had to start out thicker. They were also machined on the bores for the tubes, so the fit is very nice. But some of the bores are a bit off-center relative to the cast outside suface, so the walls are thick on one side and in some cases vanishingly thin on the other. I assume that's why these lugs survived — they are seconds that were not considered good enough to make into a frame.
Old 02-14-24, 05:40 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
Now that I've thought about it for a while, I'm having flashbacks of some really awful sand cast lugs. The ones in the OP don't look too bad, but they do look like they would take a lot of work to clean up.
Old 02-15-24, 09:48 AM
Wiel

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Searching through old Brown Brothers catalogs showed EKLA as most probable maker.
I have more numbered lugs, and as Unterhausen says they can be ugly.

Brown Brothers catalogs 1939 and 1952

Cast steel lugs made in Belgium in the 50's