Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Campione D'Italia

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-23, 10:30 PM
PTL011

Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts

Hello Bike Forum experts,

I recently got myself a well kept 87 black Formula 2 Bianchi Campione D'Italia at a decent price. However, I am not sure the quality of this CD'I vs. a 84 CD'I. In 84, the CD'I seemed to be considered part of the Reparto Corso and was #5 or 6 in the lineup from the top according to their catalog. But in 87, it became part of the Sport Series. Is this still the same bike from 84 minus perhaps minor component changes? The 80s seemed like a messy, confusing time for Bianchi based on their naming and logo sticker system...

What were the specific differences between their 'professional', 'competition', 'performance', and 'sports' series in 87....as in intention, function, and lineup other than the component differences?

Thanks.

Last edited by PTL011; 04-06-23 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-07-23, 04:48 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,249 Times in 1,641 Posts
Originally Posted by PTL011
Hello Bike Forum experts,

I recently got myself a well kept 87 black Formula 2 Bianchi Campione D'Italia at a decent price. However, I am not sure the quality of this CD'I vs. a 84 CD'I. In 84, the CD'I seemed to be considered part of the Reparto Corso and was #5 or 6 in the lineup from the top according to their catalog. But in 87, it became part of the Sport Series. Is this still the same bike from 84 minus perhaps minor component changes? The 80s seemed like a messy, confusing time for Bianchi based on their naming and logo sticker system...

What were the specific differences between their 'professional', 'competition', 'performance', and 'sports' series in 87....as in intention, function, and lineup other than the component differences? The difference is in the quality of the frame materials and components. a Prifessional level is of course very similar to what the Pro riders are using. Competition is the is the next level (price point) down and geared for serious ametures. Competitions level is more for weekend warrior types.

Thanks.
Good Morning and welcom to the forums. A black Campione de Italia (CdI) would more likely be an '89 but in the US market that was a usually a CroMor frame. Does the Bianchi decal have a line running through it? What components are on it? No it is not the same bike as the '84 CdI but still a very good bike. The CdI name, like others, came and went and moved up and down the lineup from year to year.

Any pics?

Here is a pic from the '89 Bianchi USA catalog.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 04-07-23 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-18-23, 01:21 AM
PTL011

Bianchigirll My apologies for the delay, but finally had some good pics today of my newly picked up Formula II Bianchi Campione D'Italia. Like I said, it's black, but from the logo, I highly doubt it's a late 80s. It's not a Chromoly but a legit Formula II at least from the sticker.

Any thoughts on this model, the year, which series, and if it's any good at all?

And please pardon me for the mismatched components and the ugly color choice. I got it that way...

Likes For PTL011:
Old 04-18-23, 01:22 AM
PTL011

This thing basically felt like a more center-balanced, 'grounded', stiffer version of my 84 centurion ironman.

I like it...accelerates fast...but makes me work hard to get there..harder than the Ironman

Last edited by PTL011; 04-18-23 at 01:37 AM.
Likes For PTL011:
Old 04-18-23, 08:46 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Liked 3,631 Times in 1,170 Posts
This thing basically felt like a more center-balanced, 'grounded', stiffer version of my 84 centurion ironman.

I like it...accelerates fast...but makes me work hard to get there..harder than the Ironman
Looks like a pretty nice bike to me.
The "work harder" may have more to do with the lower end tires, tire pressure, and the fact that the bike is too small for you than anything else.
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 04-18-23, 09:20 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Liked 1,401 Times in 884 Posts
My 1981 Campione d'Italia is a blast to ride.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-18-23, 04:20 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,249 Times in 1,641 Posts
Bianchigirll My apologies for the delay, but finally had some good pics today of my newly picked up Formula II Bianchi Campione D'Italia. Like I said, it's black, but from the logo, I highly doubt it's a late 80s. It's not a Chromoly but a legit Formula II at least from the sticker.

Any thoughts on this model, the year, which series, and if it's any good at all?

And please pardon me for the mismatched components and the ugly color choice. I got it that way...

Good Evening. Where are you and the bike located? That script model name was, to the best of my knowledge, only used on 1987 models. The group is different from the US bike and there is the color thing. This might be a Canadian model bike that would explain the color and possibly the components but they could also have been changed.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk