Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

French Thread Fixed Cup

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

French Thread Fixed Cup

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-13, 07:42 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 2,104 Times in 1,106 Posts
French Thread Fixed Cup

First ride over 5 miles with my rebuilt '76 Grand Jubilee and the fixed cup unscrewed itself. Originally it was so seized I gave up and repacked the bearings without removing it - and yes I know it's right-hand threads. I suppose there's a chance I freed it up while trying, but it seemed quite stuck.

Sheldon says the only prevention is to make sure it's really tight, and maybe use a thread adhesive.

This is to be my commuter, but it's so comfortable I'd like to try it on a 200k brevet. If my commuter breaks down, walking is no big deal. Depending on the brevet, it might be a big deal.

Questions:

Can this really be tightened down enough to confidently go on a long ride?

If I buy the Velo Orange French thread cartridge BB, would it be any more resistant to unscrewing?

VO also makes an expanding threadless cartridge BB for just a bit more... good option?

Last edited by downtube42; 03-24-13 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-24-13, 08:27 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
i'd do the following.
1. now that it's free, remove both cups and clean the shell and cup real well. some would say to tap and face the shell, but i'm cheap and lazy. use boeshield on the inside to clean and prevent rust.
2. reinstall the fixed cup with adhesive (blue locktight) and tighten it like your life depended on it (which it might at that).
3. pack and adjust the bb.
4. commute.
5. if it works, go on a century or two. it it doesn't, use red locktight. i don't like using red locktight on anything, so i'm a bit averse here.

are you sure it's a '76? i have a '76 moto, and its bb is swiss with the left hand thread on the fixed side.
Old 03-24-13, 09:31 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The first time I road I put together a bike with an Italian BB I tightened the BB as I would normally tighten an English BB. I rode about 200 miles and fixed cup came un-fixed half way through a 40mi ride (it was stop, tighten finger tight, ride 2-3 miles stop tighten finger tight, etc..). When I got home I removed and re-greased the the bottom bracket and tightened the fixed cup, best effort with a 24" breaker bar (no loc-tite). I've got about 1000 miles on the BB and it's stuck solid (that's a good thing!). I don't know why your French BB came loose if you couldn't loosen it before, but as eschlwc said
tighten it like your life depended on it
Old 03-24-13, 09:41 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42

If I buy the Velo Orange French thread cartridge BB, would it be any more resistant to unscrewing?

VO also makes an expanding threadless cartridge BB for just a bit more... good option?
Yes it can be tightened enough to stay tight. My UO8's right-side cup has be removed a few times, our Peugeot tandem's has been removed. After being tightened properly they've gone a few thousand miles each. Neither has Loctite or other bonding material.

Any threaded BB might loosen up the same way a bearing race, but I suppose there could be styles which don't. The reason they loosen is that the rotating pressure from the spindle makes the race try to roll around the inside of the BB. A cartridge system is subject to the same forces.

I've read good and bad things about the threadless units. Their primary application is a BB with damaged threads.

Be aware that Italian BB's are threaded like French, but with different threads and a larger diameter. In theory they are subject to the same loosening. You don't hear complaints though.

Many French races (Stronglight?) use a 38mm wrench. I've re-assembled out tandem with a high-quality 12" adjustable wrench. Do it carefully so it doesn't slip off, but it can be done.
Old 03-25-13, 05:23 AM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In addition to what was said above, once you get everything back together, mark both cups with a marker so you can check to make sure everything has stayed tight.
Old 03-25-13, 06:50 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 2,104 Times in 1,106 Posts
Originally Posted by eschlwc
...are you sure it's a '76? i have a '76 moto, and its bb is swiss with the left hand thread on the fixed side.
Not certain, no; I should have said 'mid 70's'. I picked up the frame and fork at the local bike co-op, so there are no components to use for dating. The color scheme matches the red/black bike shown here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/2826722...n/photostream/
which is identified by the owner as the '76 catalog.

Reynolds 531, Nervex lugs. Sheldon says Moto was kind of all over the map with BB threading, and I've read they made mid-year changes.
Old 03-25-13, 07:32 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Go to the Trek website to learn how you can more precisely date your GJ from its components. Hubs (if original) are the easiest place to start.

In any case, French fixed cups CAN stay put, if they're properly installed. Check out Sheldon Brown's fixed cup tool. It will help you attain the necessary torque upon installation.
Old 03-25-13, 07:59 AM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I recall BBM (and others?) recommending teflon plumber's tape on the threads of Italian fixed cups before...
Old 03-25-13, 09:24 AM
spacemanz

Bikes: Frejus/Bertin/Cannondale

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is an issue I'm a little nervous about. In the last 6 months, I've aquired a French bike and 2 Italian bikes, with no previous "real" experience with either. Lucky for me, I read about this issue, before getting too crazy on upgrade-itis, and I've just left the fixed cups alone, where possible. If they're really stuck in place, that's a good thing, and there's no sense tempting fate, by trying to rework them. But I think I'll look into Loc-Tite, for the ones that need it, mostly being the Miele, which had no BB when I got it.
Old 03-25-13, 09:28 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 234 Posts
I said earlier that I've had no trouble with two different French fixed cups. I should also add that the Italian fixed cup on the Masi has been no trouble either, though it hasn't yet seen the mileage of those French bikes. If you get them tight enough they do stay put.
Old 03-25-13, 10:06 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
One trick is....don't remove them. Unless you have to.
Old 03-25-13, 10:30 AM
spacemanz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rootboy
One trick is....don't remove them. Unless you have to.
Yep. I kinda think "fixed" implies they don't need any fixing. One just needs to figure out which cup is non-fixed, for re-packing, or any other fixing.
Old 03-25-13, 11:43 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Questions:

Yes. Italian thread has the same issue. If your fixed cup is a Campy clone design you can use the professional fixed cup tool with a cheater bar if your LBS has this:

Otherwise, the Sheldon Brown homemade fixed cup remover tool can also be used to install a fixed cup:

Alas, yes.

I've not tried this unit, but my experience with threadless cartridges (i.e. EDCO "Grip") has not been entirely satisfactory. IMHO, if you have usable threads, you may as well use them.
Old 03-25-13, 01:33 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
I wonder if you can drill a small hole at the fixed cup flange (if it has enough material sticking out past the BB shell) and safety wire the thing to the chain stay near it so it does not loosen up.......
I just hate the idea of tightening the thing like crazy or using thread locking compound on it...then end up having a big problem later trying to remove it from the frame if you have to replace it.....

Chombi
Old 03-25-13, 01:48 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by Chombi
I wonder if you can drill a small hole at the fixed cup flange (if it has enough material sticking out past the BB shell) and safety wire the thing to the chain stay near it so it does not loosen up.......
A better idea would be to drill and tap the BB shell for a set screw to bear against the fixed cup's threads. But if you can get the cup tight enough in the first place, further measures shouldn't be necessary.
Old 03-25-13, 01:56 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
A better idea would be to drill and tap the BB shell for a set screw to bear against the fixed cup's threads. But if you can get the cup tight enough in the first place, further measures shouldn't be necessary.
Would you really want a set screw possibly buggering up the threads on your fixed cup and then possibly damaging the threads on your BB when you remove it??..........
Anyway, I'd rather just goof around with the easier to replace fixed cup only, if any physical modifications like drilling is done, and not screw around at all with the frameset's BB if it can be avoided.......

Chombi
Old 03-25-13, 04:33 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by Chombi
Would you really want a set screw possibly buggering up the threads on your fixed cup and then possibly damaging the threads on your BB when you remove it??
No. My preferred solution would be to crank the SOB down good and tight. But wiring the cup to the chainstay seems even more primitive than a set screw and less likely to be successful.
Old 03-25-13, 04:38 PM
Chombi

No. My preferred solution would be to crank the SOB down good and tight. But wiring the cup to the chainstay seems even more primitive than a set screw and less likely to be successful.
"...........and less likely to be successful"????
Dang, they still safety wire all sorts of things even in the most modern of race cars and motorcycles. They continue to use safety wire since anyone can remember on race vehicles cause it works, and works very very well......
I wouldn't doubt if some of the components in rocket motors sent out by the space agencies have safety wiring. I'm sure they must still have it in jet engines too.
IMO. If safety wiring is done correctly, it does not have to look bad. I betcha I can make it look good If I had a bike with a French threaded BB..... Anyway, not too many people will even see it behind the crank spider......

Last edited by Chombi; 03-25-13 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-25-13, 07:55 PM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
I use a bit of blue Loctite, tighten it like my life depended on it. Afterwards I always mark the 12 o'clock position on both sides with a small dab of red paint. Don't use a marker as it my be more permanent.
I own 2 Super Mondia's (french Thread) both of them have had this done. After a few hundred miles you can flake off the paint marks if need be.
Old 03-25-13, 09:18 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
if you go the blue locktight route, you might want to screw the cup in first with lube on both sets of threads, then remove it, wiping some of the excess lube away with a napkin, then finally add just a few dabs of the blue stuff before locking it down with all your fierce manliness.

a little line of paint on the outside at 12:00 is a great idea.

i kinda like the teflon tape idea too.
Old 03-25-13, 10:44 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
No. My preferred solution would be to crank the SOB down good and tight. ...
^ This.

- And if you're still worried about it, you can always weld the SOB.
Old 03-26-13, 02:08 AM
spacemanz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by auchencrow
^ This.

- And if you're still worried about it, you can always weld the SOB.
LOL. What about super glue?
Old 03-26-13, 05:09 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by eschlwc
if you go the blue locktight route, you might want to screw the cup in first with lube on both sets of threads, then remove it, wiping some of the excess lube away with a napkin, then finally add just a few dabs of the blue stuff before locking it down with all your fierce manliness.
If I were doing it, I'd put it on dry threads. I do, in fact. I would think a light coating of oil would sort of negate the effectiveness of the Loctite.
Old 03-26-13, 08:20 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
If I were doing it, I'd put it on dry threads. I do, in fact. I would think a light coating of oil would sort of negate the effectiveness of the Loctite.
+1
Old 03-26-13, 08:58 AM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 31 Posts
I've never had a fixed cup problem on my UO8 and it's my daily rider. I just grease the threads lightly and tighten the sucker down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.