Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Another Tire Thread Schwalbe HS368

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 06:47 PM
elkootcho

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Rival, 2009 Fuji Roubaix pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anybody have experience with the Schwalbe Marathon HS 368? What's your opinion?

I ride through lots of glass and crappy roads (San Fernando Valley anyone?) and am looking for good flat protection but don't want bricks. Will these fit the bill or should I spend a few extra bux and get the Ultra Gatorskins?
Old 04-07-10, 07:24 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Schwalbe Marathons are tough tires that have been widely praised. You can't go wrong with them and the Schwalbe representative on the forum here can answer any questions you might have about them.
Old 04-07-10, 07:27 PM
MilitantPotato
Subjectively Insane

Bikes: '09 Rodriguez Adventurer Custom, '08 Trek 7.3Fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're OK. Main gripes are: Flat protection layer is hit and miss, when the tire is molded it squishes the layer in some areas (tread gaps) so there's less. My tires had heaps in the middle, my ex wifes had most of it at the edges (useless.) I only know this because some ass cut our tires when we stopped for coffee.

The tread gaps get pretty crazy on sizes bigger then 32C.

Low TPI, stiff sidewalls, and far from slick tread also are issues.

Good parts? They're VERY durable, wet grip is alright, mostly worth what they cost, and weight is acceptable.

I prefer vittoria randos which can be had for 25-45 bucks depending where ya shop and the size ya need. They ride smoother, roll better, and have much better wet grip. There's a folding version that is very light for a tire with good flat protection, but there's been talk of them not fitting well on some rims.

Last edited by MilitantPotato; 04-07-10 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-09-10, 08:29 AM
robkmaeda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not the best

I was commuting on 700X25 Marathons this winter and had three flats over the last month and a half. Before this, I had a pair of Armadillos that I used for almost two years before I had a single flat. The marathons were heavier and a bit slower to top it off. After looking at each of my flats, I noticed that they always resulted from pieces of glass or metal getting caught in the tread and working their way, during my long commute, into the tire. I think the tires would be great without the tread. They seem pretty strong and I even once found a nail slowly working its way into the tire at an angle without quite puncturing the tube (once again caught in the tread). Perhaps a wider tire would perform better from the durability standpoint as the tread spacing might be wider and the pressure at the point of ground contact might be lower.

Rob
Old 04-09-10, 08:37 AM
ortcutt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden the 368s (700x28) for six months on fair- to poor-quality urban streets (gravel, potholes, broken glass, the works). No flats yet, and barely any discernible wear. Total weight I put on them ranges between 190 and 200 lbs.
Old 04-09-10, 10:13 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set on my recumbent 20x1.5 and 26x1.5 (I think), a couple of thousand miles an no flat (yet). I also have a set newly installed this week on the LHT 700x40. I like them. They're cheaper and lighter than the Marathon Plus, but still plenty durable.
Old 04-09-10, 10:46 AM
interested

Bikes: Kinesisbikes UK Racelight Tk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elkootcho
Anybody have experience with the Schwalbe Marathon HS 368? What's your opinion?

I ride through lots of glass and crappy roads (San Fernando Valley anyone?) and am looking for good flat protection but don't want bricks. Will these fit the bill or should I spend a few extra bux and get the Ultra Gatorskins?
The Ultra Gatorskins aren't the most puncture proof tires around. They have quite decent puncture protection, but their real selling point is their really low rolling resistance.
Gatorskins are a good mixture of low rolling resistance, low weight, great grip, and good puncture protection (compared to dedicated racing tires). The new Gator Hardshells have better puncture protection, but are heavier too.
A 28mm Gatorskin is around 320 gram while a 28mm Marathon HS 368 is 520 gram. quite a difference.

--
Regards
Old 04-09-10, 10:54 AM
sm1960

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bontrager h4-700 32, about 1500 miles, some rough roads, no flats. Hard walls
Old 04-09-10, 11:07 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by MilitantPotato
They're OK. Main gripes are: Flat protection layer is hit and miss, when the tire is molded it squishes the layer in some areas (tread gaps) so there's less. My tires had heaps in the middle, my ex wifes had most of it at the edges (useless.) I only know this because some ass cut our tires when we stopped for coffee.

The tread gaps get pretty crazy on sizes bigger then 32C.

Low TPI, stiff sidewalls, and far from slick tread also are issues.

Good parts? They're VERY durable, wet grip is alright, mostly worth what they cost, and weight is acceptable.

I prefer vittoria randos which can be had for 25-45 bucks depending where ya shop and the size ya need. They ride smoother, roll better, and have much better wet grip. There's a folding version that is very light for a tire with good flat protection, but there's been talk of them not fitting well on some rims.
that fits my experience in the 26"x1.50 size.
Old 04-10-10, 07:42 PM
warriorphan
ORTrekguy

Bikes: Trek7.5 FX disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over 5800 miles, one flat, zero complaints.