Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What ID do you carry with you on rides?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What ID do you carry with you on rides?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-23, 09:48 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10237 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
This is why I won’t buy or wear a jersey that doesn’t have a zipping valuables pocket. Also why I started buying more cargo line bibs to stuff important things (phone) in either the cargo pocket on the legs or the mesh pocket on the back
The sandwiches always get ejected out of my team kit. Super tight and not deep pockets. No excuses for my other jerseys.
Old 03-27-23, 05:56 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
This is why I won’t buy or wear a jersey that doesn’t have a zipping valuables pocket. Also why I started buying more cargo line bibs to stuff important things (phone) in either the cargo pocket on the legs or the mesh pocket on the back
The only times I ever lost something out of a jersey pocket, it was either because I pulled it out by accident (along with what I intended), or I was flying through the air at 30mph. Technically I guess, it was when I landed....
Old 04-19-23, 01:25 PM
biglmbass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Reading this thread has given me a few ideas on what I need to start carrying. I typically only carry a small packaging tape reinforced zip lock bag as a makeshift wallet. Taping the sides & bottom w' clear packaging tape enables the bag to last approx 4-5 months of use. It holds the following & rides in my left back jersey pocket.

House key
Scrap of paper w' my name & emergency contact on it
A few dollars ($6-8 at most)
A few loose coins
Presta to schrader adapter (might need to use coin op compressor at a gas station)
Valve core removal tool
Two or three extra valve cores

I put my phone & a pair of folding reading glasses in a slightly larger zip lock bag and it rides in my middle back jersey pocket.

I'm pretty religious about wearing my RoadID bracelet & opt to wear that in place of taking ID or DL with me. Reading this thread has me thinking I should carry a photo copy of DL & health insurance card.

More times than not, I'm riding from my house & I want to travel light. Can't imagine carrying my full wallet like some of you. I never carry a credit card, mostly because I don't want to lose it & the few dollars I have will by a soda or candy bar should I need/want it. The local brewery has my payment info saved on their POS system, so that works well for me.

Anything else not mentioned above & related to flat repair, extra tube, levers, etc is carried in a small saddle bag