Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Anti-theft idea

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Anti-theft idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-09, 01:34 PM
bokes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anti-theft idea

Ok, so you know how a lot of car stereos have a removable faceplate? The theory is a thief won't bother stealing the radio because it's too much hassle to get a replacement faceplate.
What if folding bikes had a similar concept? Let's say the hinge needed a small metal part for the bike to stay securely folded. Without it, the bike just won't stay together. You would take this part with you when you lock up.
I'm sure you're thinking that the thieves wouldn't know about it until the bike is already stolen. I agree, it would take years before word got around that a particular folder isn't worth stealing. But I think so what. Eventually we wouldn't have to worry as much about our folders getting stolen.
[Yes I know, folders can go with me everywhere I go, but often I like to just leave the bike outside]
Good idea?
Old 12-20-09, 01:57 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
the R20 had something like that.

that lever in the middle keeps it from folding in on itself. but actually the hinge on the R20 is so strong, that you can ride it without that little piece.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/org/rale...wenty-8-01.jpg

what prevents you from locking it up properly?
Old 12-20-09, 04:12 PM
bokes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AEO
what prevents you from locking it up properly?
Nothing, I always lock properly, it would only be an additional layer of defense
Old 12-20-09, 04:51 PM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if u plan to lock ur bike outiside...y ride a folder? y dont u get a full size bike and lock it outside? what is ur particular reason of getting a folder?
Old 12-20-09, 05:00 PM
AEO

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
hmm, then I see no reason not to have a sort of additional key to your bike.

Originally Posted by vincentnyc
if u plan to lock ur bike outiside...y ride a folder? y dont u get a full size bike and lock it outside? what is ur particular reason of getting a folder?
some people don't have room to store a full sized bike...
Old 12-20-09, 05:08 PM
feijai

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AEO
some people don't have room to store a full sized bike...
Misunderstood. He's saying that if you have a folder, you shouldn't ever need to lock it outside. Sort of defeats the purpose.

Indeed, I've purposely never had a lock on my Tikit. Even in *Rome*, land of bike theft.
Old 12-20-09, 05:37 PM
AEO

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by feijai
Misunderstood. He's saying that if you have a folder, you shouldn't ever need to lock it outside. Sort of defeats the purpose.

Indeed, I've purposely never had a lock on my Tikit. Even in *Rome*, land of bike theft.
well, what if you're shopping and have to leave the bike outside?
Old 12-20-09, 05:50 PM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO
ever see a video of a tikit or a brompton with a front bag and use as a shopping cart? do a search on youtube. unless u have a dahon or any folder...u get what u pay for.

Last edited by vincentnyc; 12-20-09 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 05:56 PM
AEO

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
ever see a video of a tikit or a brompton with a front bag and use as a shopping cart? do a search on youtube. unless u have a dahon or any folder...u get what u pay for.
touche, I do have a dahon, that's my problem.
Old 12-20-09, 06:45 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bokes
Ok, so you know how a lot of car stereos have a removable faceplate? The theory is a thief won't bother stealing the radio because it's too much hassle to get a replacement faceplate.
What if folding bikes had a similar concept? Let's say the hinge needed a small metal part for the bike to stay securely folded. Without it, the bike just won't stay together. You would take this part with you when you lock up.
I'm sure you're thinking that the thieves wouldn't know about it until the bike is already stolen. I agree, it would take years before word got around that a particular folder isn't worth stealing. But I think so what. Eventually we wouldn't have to worry as much about our folders getting stolen.
[Yes I know, folders can go with me everywhere I go, but often I like to just leave the bike outside]
Good idea?
Better yet, do it with a nonfolder that needs to be locked all the time: I have a nonfolder with seat stays which can be opened up and I'm currently devising a way to lock them shut so I can lock the rear triangle around things without the weight of a u-lock. Sure the stays could always be cut and replaced, but I think the hassle is great enough to deter almost all thieves.

I mean, when you think about it not matter how good your lock a thief could always just cut the frame and repair it if he were willing to go through the hassle.

Because most times you don't know whether it's best to lock or take inside (or if you even have a choice) until you arrive at your destination. So it's nice to have a bike that can be either locked or taken inside as opposed to a bike which is limited to only one or the other.

For example, when I went to lock my bike up the other day I found the lock was corroded shut. When I folded it up and went to take it inside the security guard wouldn't let me. Ultimately I was able to get the bike in by lying and saying I needed it for the study I was going to, but lady luck could have just as easily allowed the lock to work and made the security guard unrelenting. You just never know.

Spending more money on a "better" folder does absolutely nothing to solve the problem because you the more you spend the more you stand to lose when you eventually need to lock it (and you will eventually need to lock it, when you fill up the front bag, when you are denied access, etc, etc).

Last edited by chucky; 12-20-09 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 07:49 PM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was never denied access to any office buildings, restaurants, supermarket, museum, cafes...this is in nyc. i always take my folder inside. maybe it is my look of confident? who knows.
Old 12-20-09, 08:59 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was never denied access to any office buildings, restaurants, supermarket, museum, cafes...this is in nyc. i always take my folder inside. maybe it is my look of confident? who knows.
I'm sure you weren't, but it's only a matter of time before you are and when that day comes you will be left with a choice of canceling your (possibly very important) plans or leaving $1000 sitting on the streets of NYC completely unprotected.

Technically I've never been denied access either. I've been told I'm being denied access, but in the end I always win (just like the other day when my lock failed, which was also in nyc). However, I still appreciate the ability to lock my folder because it is by far the easier, more predictable course of action.

Just sayin' it's perfectly reasonable for people to want to lock their folders and there's absolutely no reason to poo poo it. Even if you can get your Brompton in, carrying it around isn't exactly a rewarding experience.

Last edited by chucky; 12-20-09 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 09:34 PM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chucky
...Even if you can get your Brompton in, carrying it around isn't exactly a rewarding experience.
fyi...i dont carry my folder...i roll/wheel with it. the only times i carry my folder is up or down a stair. like i say...u get what u pay for.

also i dont bag my folder or own a bag for my folder. but one thing i can guarantee u...if i ever get a bag or bag my folder, no one will ever say anything to me to my face.

Last edited by vincentnyc; 12-20-09 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 11:27 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO

All my folders go with me....including the Dahons. The make or brand does not inhibit me in the least as you can see from the photo.

Originally Posted by AEO
touche, I do have a dahon, that's my problem.
I don't understand what owning/using a Dahon would limit you from exercising your folding feature any year or model of Dahon's folding or fold-up bikes have, no matter how primitive or advanced it is. My little Piccolo is not quite so compact as the Brompton, but it can just fit into the cart/trolley all the same.

Better yet, do it with a nonfolder that needs to be locked all the time: I have a nonfolder with seat stays which can be opened up and I'm currently devising a way to lock them shut so I can lock the rear triangle around things without the weight of a u-lock. Sure the stays could always be cut and replaced, but I think the hassle is great enough to deter almost all thieves.

I mean, when you think about it not matter how good your lock a thief could always just cut the frame and repair it if he were willing to go through the hassle.

Because most times you don't know whether it's best to lock or take inside (or if you even have a choice) until you arrive at your destination. So it's nice to have a bike that can be either locked or taken inside as opposed to a bike which is limited to only one or the other.

For example, when I went to lock my bike up the other day I found the lock was corroded shut. When I folded it up and went to take it inside the security guard wouldn't let me. Ultimately I was able to get the bike in by lying and saying I needed it for the study I was going to, but lady luck could have just as easily allowed the lock to work and made the security guard unrelenting. You just never know.

Spending more money on a "better" folder does absolutely nothing to solve the problem because you the more you spend the more you stand to lose when you eventually need to lock it (and you will eventually need to lock it, when you fill up the front bag, when you are denied access, etc, etc).
My bikes are not usually so "naked" out in public like in the photo above. When I take them with me into shops, stores, restaurants, and the like, I always use a soft opaque cloth bag-ready to use hooked on the saddle's end in it's own little saddle bag. End of problem and discussion with the bike hating prejudiced public (mostly store clerks & security guards).
Attached Images

Last edited by folder fanatic; 12-20-09 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 11:59 PM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
I don't understand what owning/using a Dahon would limit you from exercising your folding feature any year or model of Dahon's folding or fold-up bikes have, no matter how primitive or advanced it is. My little Piccolo is not quite so compact as the Brompton, but it can just fit into the cart/trolley all the same.
i'm not saying u can't...but some folder like the brompton (if u upgraded to a razor scooter wheel or ez wheel) would make it easy to wheel/roll ur bike once it is folded. also the compact smaller fold doesn't hurt either. so some folders are easier to take inside an office building, restaurants, supermarket etc. than others.
Old 12-21-09, 12:17 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 97 Posts
I ride a Phillip's Twenty... it deters thieves by it's appearance alone (it has drop bars) but despite that I still lock it up properly.

Unscrewing the hinge bolt on the bike might be a deterrent (and you can ride without it) but the bike does get a little weebly without that and the lower nut being secure.

I don't see a need for complicating a folder by adding a feature that disables the bike when a good locking strategy can do just that.
Old 12-21-09, 08:25 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fyi...i dont carry my folder...i roll/wheel with it. the only times i carry my folder is up or down a stair. like i say...u get what u pay for.

also i dont bag my folder or own a bag for my folder. but one thing i can guarantee u...if i ever get a bag or bag my folder, no one will ever say anything to me to my face.
In that case I guarantee you will eventually be denied access. Rolling attracts attention, gives everyone full view of your package, and seems to subconsciously facilitate identification as a bicycle (first they hear the wheels rolling, then they look at the wheels, then they see the chain, and then their little brains say "aha that's a bicycle").

...you get what you pay for until you fail to prepare for the inevitable, have to leave it on the street, and then someone else gets what you pay for.

My bikes are not usually so "naked" out in public like in the photo above. When I take them with me into shops, stores, restaurants, and the like, I always use a soft opaque cloth bag-ready to use hooked on the saddle's end in it's own little saddle bag. End of problem and discussion with the bike hating prejudiced public (mostly store clerks & security guards).
Yeah, but have you ever considered that for the same size, weight, and ease of deployment you could be carrying a lock instead of a bag? I tried a bag for a while and it was a lot bigger and heavier than I expected. Even a plastic lawn and leaf bag (which gets ruined after one use) is a bit of a nuisance.

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
I ride a Phillip's Twenty... it deters thieves by it's appearance alone (it has drop bars) but despite that I still lock it up properly.

Unscrewing the hinge bolt on the bike might be a deterrent (and you can ride without it) but the bike does get a little weebly without that and the lower nut being secure.

I don't see a need for complicating a folder by adding a feature that disables the bike when a good locking strategy can do just that.
To me, the idea here is that one saves weight by integrating instead of adding on. However, I would never use a lock which just disables the bike without attaching it to a permanent fixture, integrated or not, because if all they have to do is walk off I think most thieves would steal the disabled bike anyway. Now if they have to actually destroy the bike themselves AND then walk off with it AND then fix it or try selling it disabled then I think we're onto something.
Old 12-21-09, 08:31 AM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In that case I guarantee you will eventually be denied access. Rolling attracts attention, gives everyone full view of your package, and seems to subconsciously facilitate identification as a bicycle (first they hear the wheels rolling, then they look at the wheels, then they see the chain, and then their little brains say "aha that's a bicycle").

...you get what you pay for until you fail to prepare for the inevitable, have to leave it on the street, and then someone else gets what you pay for..
nah....never been denied. and if i do...i will bag it then like i said.

hey folder fanatic...what happen to ur brommie? dont see it anymore...was it stolen?
Old 12-21-09, 08:37 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nah....never been denied. and if i do...i will bag it then like i said.
How are you going to bag it if you don't have a bag? And why carry a bag when for the same size and weight you can carry a lock?

Since your whole plan hinges on your look of confidence I have to ask what did you pay for that? You keep saying you get what you pay for...
Old 12-21-09, 08:42 AM
vincentnyc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How are you going to bag it if you don't have a bag? And why carry a bag when for the same size and weight you can carry a lock?

Since your whole plan hinges on your look of confidence I have to ask what did you pay for that? You keep saying you get what you pay for...
sorry...i'm not gonna answer any more of ur trolling posts.
Old 12-21-09, 08:51 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry...i'm not gonna answer any more of ur trolling posts.
Sorry...but pretending I'm trolling and ignoring the legitimate concerns I'm raising is only going to hurt you, not me.

Last edited by chucky; 12-21-09 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-21-09, 09:23 AM
photoassign
velotaffer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bokes
Good idea?
In a word, NO. that won't work.
Old 12-21-09, 11:50 AM
feijai

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AEO
I have a tikit. This has never happened. I either roll it about while shopping or take it in covered and give it to the person at the register to put behind the counter (which they *always* do). I think they're too stunned by the coolness of the bike to realize I'm bringing a bike in the store.

This is one of the reasons why I think folding bikes which don't roll well when folded (or aren't easily picked up when covered) aren't all that useful as folding bikes.

BSpending more money on a "better" folder does absolutely nothing to solve the problem because you the more you spend the more you stand to lose when you eventually need to lock it (and you will eventually need to lock it, when you fill up the front bag, when you are denied access, etc, etc).
Year and a half and counting. Including lots of shopping in urban DC and five months in downtown Rome (!). I have never locked it; indeed, it doesn't even have a lock.

So let's say that eventually there's a situation where I know I'll need to lock it. I bring a lock along. Then here's a math problem for you. Is total annual theft going to cost you more in the long run with a bike that costs $1K that you lock once in two years, or one that costs $500 which you must lock outside roughly every week (because it doesn't roll well)?

Take it from me, I already know the answer: I had a Dahon stolen in Italy. It was locked outside for 40 minutes.

This is another way of saying "What if I have an inferior bike?" I believe vincentnyc has a tikit as well. Tikits have the option of built-in bags attached the bike, and they weigh a small fraction of a lock. You can even roll with the bag "mostly on" the bike -- peel it back to expose the front wheel. I did that a lot while on trains in Italy.

Last edited by feijai; 12-21-09 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-21-09, 12:01 PM
AEO

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
it was sarcasm
Old 12-21-09, 01:48 PM
Joako

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Horrible idea...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.