Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Phone for Navigation- Size?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-24, 06:02 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

So I want a separate phone to run Osmand on that will be mounted to my handle bars. We are going on a 3 month tour and I want to protect my "real" phone and keep it in the handlebar bag.
So my question is what size or capacity is necessary? This is a question coming from a "tech challenged " cyclists!
Old 04-01-24, 06:37 AM
cyclomath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I would suggest getting a phone with a smaller resolution screen (700-something pixels by 1600-something pixels, on those all icons look bigger) and as large a battery as possible (5000mAh, for example), because the screen is the main battery drainer. Also, remove and/or block all apps and services that are not of direct use or benefit to you during the tour. Basically, remove and block everything except GPS and maps, everything.

I took an old phone of mine (from 2018), replaced its battery two years ago, removed everything I could and blocked or turned off everything else, and it lasted me on average four touring days before I had to recharge it. But, all it had to do was record the track and nothing else (I also used offline maps, so no internet connection was necessary, and I didn't use navigation).
Old 04-01-24, 10:05 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
If you might be buying a used phone for this, make sure you get one that is new enough for the version of the app you are using to load onto the phone. I have not used Osmand, do not know what version of software you need.

I mention this because my Android version 7 phone that I regularly use is no longer able to load some apps.
Old 04-01-24, 10:54 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 268 Posts
On my third gen of iPhone using a Quad Lock stem mount. Guessing over 60k miles there, without issues.
I attached a small rechargeable two-battery extension to my handlebar, allowing me to keep my screen & strava on for hours.
This extension also gives me the ability to affix a headlight to it, thereby freeing up valuable bar space.
For long rides, I carry two fully charged proprietary batteries, should the unit poop out.
Quad Lock sells a clear rain cover for a few bucks, too. Only used mine a couple times.
My setup enables me to see incoming calls, read/answer texts, and get Ring camera alerts.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 04-01-24, 12:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,442 Posts
Are you sure you want to use a phone? How about a bike computer instead?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-02-24, 01:30 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Are you sure you want to use a phone? How about a bike computer instead?
I am stunned! Why would one want to use a bike computer instead of a phone?! I know people do that, but then you will find people doing many strange things . Actually, I am absolutely serious.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 04-02-24, 01:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,487 Times in 1,442 Posts
Hey, I use a phone, but that's because I don't want to spend the money on a computer. The computer has some advantages, such as longer battery life and ease of use. @Tandem Tom is looking to buy a new device, so that's different.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-03-24, 05:11 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I am stunned! Why would one want to use a bike computer instead of a phone?! I know people do that, but then you will find people doing many strange things . Actually, I am absolutely serious.
My phone is unreadable in bright sunlight. Sure, I could buy a $1000 phone that is easier to read, but my phone is almost always off or in airplane mode, I have not made a phone call since last week. So, as long as I can communicate on my phone, and as long as it keeps working, I will keep using it. The 3G no longer works, but the 4G does. At home, my VOIP landline is my primary phone.

My GPS that I also use for kayaking and backpacking runs on a pair of AA batteries. I recharge the NiMH batteries from my dynohub and USB charger, probably takes me an hour of charge for three hours of riding. Works great for touring and for brevets. Yes, it needs a cable to communicate with my computer, but that is good enough for me.

Several months ago someone explained to me in great detail what I am missing by not using a cycling specific GPS, and I am grateful that they did. By seeing that list of benefits that I have no interest in using, now I know with certainty that I have no reason to buy a newer GPS, will keep using my general recreation model, Garmin 64. I think the first tour I did with that one was in 2017.

I do not understand people that want to use a phone on their bike instead of a GPS, but they exist and they apparently have their reasons. I am cool with that.
Old 04-03-24, 06:38 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I do not understand people that want to use a phone on their bike instead of a GPS, but they exist and they apparently have their reasons. I am cool with that.
My phone's charge state is replenished from the dynohub during long rides. The power from the dynohub runs through commercial circuitry with additional battery backups and can be charged by a USB charger. That's about the power.

I do not have problems with screen readability, and during part of the year, I ride in equatorial parts of Africa—no problems there. This may depend on the phone, but as was mentioned, there are plenty of choices, including used.

I have a large selection of navigation apps. Some work better in some parts of the world, some in others. In parallel, there is a large selection of maps. Sand trails along the African Indian Ocean coast are there with a click of your finger. For one of the apps, I have the whole world downloaded, so I can fetch it locally no matter what the surrounding circumstances—on occasions, I have used that stash when sitting on the plane and wanting to figure out details of what is underneath.

The phone gives an integration of navigation with everything else. Most often, the most important thing was identifying and navigating to the points of interest (POI). They may be names different in different languages/cultures, and different people can perceive what POI is differently. The phone lets you sort this out and delegate it to the navigation app. There is integration with contacts, calendar, and travel apps, allowing you to transfer hotel locations, etc. You can integrate with Wikipedia for the places you visit. There is integration with the camera and OCR. The list goes on.

When connecting the bone conduction headset to the phone, I can simultaneously listen to music and navigation directives and make a phone call.

Well, the phone will not tell me the calories I burn or the power I develop—I can't think of more useless information when representing this other point of view.
Old 04-04-24, 05:16 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Problem solved! Picked up a inexpensive phone and loaded all the Osmand maps on I need. My wife has the Garmin Explore 2 on her bike. The only time I really want the map showing is when riding through big cities. Otherwise I just follow my wife!
Old 04-14-24, 09:23 AM
Fissile

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
On my third gen of iPhone using a Quad Lock stem mount. Guessing over 60k miles there, without issues.
I attached a small rechargeable two-battery extension to my handlebar, allowing me to keep my screen & strava on for hours.
This extension also gives me the ability to affix a headlight to it, thereby freeing up valuable bar space.
For long rides, I carry two fully charged proprietary batteries, should the unit poop out.
Quad Lock sells a clear rain cover for a few bucks, too. Only used mine a couple times.
My setup enables me to see incoming calls, read/answer texts, and get Ring camera alerts.
Except for the 'serious' cyclist, using a phone in place of a dedicated cycle computer/GPS will work for the majority or riders.

Yeah, I've heard all the reasons why 'real' cyclists use a dedicated cycle computer.

1) "A cycle computer is 'waterproof'." So are all flagship phones. For example, the Galaxy S24 is IP68 compliant. That means it will resist water immersion up to a depth of 5 feet for 30 minutes. A rain storm is likely to do nothing.

2) "If I crash my phone will be destroyed." If you crash and the phone is in your jersey it will likely be destroyed as well. Ask me how I know.

3) "The vibration from mounting the phone on the bars will damage the phone." True, if you use a janky Amazon Special mount. There are companies that make phone mounts for motor cycle bars. These mounts are shock protected. The vibrations coming through the bars of a some motorcycles are a lot worse than a bicycle.

4) "Leaving the screen on all the time will run down the phone's battery very quickly." True. Some bar mounts offer wireless charging. Attach the phone to the mount and its being charged. You can start and end your ride with a fully charged phone. Of course you need to power the mount. A power bank placed in a small frame bag does the job nicely. In addition to powering the phone you can also power a front light and tail light from the same power bank. Instead of removing the lights and phone and recharging all the stuff separately you just need to recharge the power bank or swap it out for a fully charged power bank.

Last edited by Fissile; 04-14-24 at 07:14 PM.
Likes For Fissile:
Old 04-14-24, 10:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 3,330 Posts
Originally Posted by Fissile
2) If I crash my phone will be destroyed. If you crash and the phone is in your jersey it will likely be destroyed as well. Ask me how I know.
And you are basing this on how many crashes?

I've been knocked off my bike at least 3 different times in the last 7 years and my phone survived in my center rear jersey pocket.

Certainly for either of us, we can only make anecdotal and circumstantial assumptions about this.
Old 04-14-24, 10:35 AM
Fissile

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
And you are basing this on how many crashes?

I've been knocked off my bike at least 3 different times in the last 7 years and my phone survived in my center rear jersey pocket.

Certainly for either of us, we can only make anecdotal and circumstantial assumptions about this.
So if the phone is mounted on the bars it will certainly be destroyed in a crash? My point is that in a crash there is no guarantee of a phone surviving unscathed. There are only probabilities. In the event of a crash your phone is more likely to survive in a padded tail bag than mounted on the bars, or on your person. The point I'm trying to make is that the excuses people make for not mounting a phone on the bars are largely exaggerated...or outright bogus. Want a cycle computer? Have a cycle computer. Please stop trying to justify your choice to other people based on dubious 'facts'.
Old 04-14-24, 10:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 3,330 Posts
Originally Posted by Fissile
So if the phone is mounted on the bars it will certainly be destroyed in a crash? My point is that in a crash there is no guarantee of a phone surviving unscathed. There are only probabilities. In the event of a crash your phone is more likely to survive in a padded tail bag than mounted on the bars, or on your person. The point I'm trying to make is that the excuses people make for not mounting a phone on the bars are largely exaggerated...or outright bogus. Want a cycle computer? Have a cycle computer. Please stop trying to justify your choice to other people based on dubious 'facts'.
My only reason for putting the phone on my person instead of in a bag is that I want my phone to go with me if I get knocked off the bike and end up in a different location than the bike does.

I'm sure adequate holders for phones are out there now for handlebars.

I don't see how I tried to justify anything dubiously in this thread more than you tried to dubiously justify it.