Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Upgraded hubs exactly why?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Upgraded hubs exactly why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-23, 08:42 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
No hub is worth considering that does not have adjustable bearings.
Old 06-24-23, 10:08 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 1,039 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Rear hubs that sound like angry bees don't need upgrading, they need regraded........ by a steamroller.
If the noise is that annoying the general solution I recommend is ride fast enough that I can stop coasting

Originally Posted by PeteHski
But what is their actual reason for “liking” them more?
Could be multiple reasons. I've had plenty of sets of XT and XTR, compared to White Industry there isn't much difference in smoothness and speed that I can detect, but the WI aren't really any more expensive than XTR while coming in some sweet colors, wouldn't upgrade XTR just for the color improvement but would easily swap Deore or lower hubs or WI, XT, or XTR because you can feel the difference when cruising along vs the cheaper ones.
Hubs like CK, DT, and I9 it is all about a mix of weight, smoothness and engagement. Kings make absolutely bombproof cross hubs that are light, roll smooth and have instant engagement for maneuvering the bike through tight twists over roots and around features, same advantages translate to the MTB as well. I've got kings on mine and middle kid's MTB, wife and oldest kid's cross bikes, and on mine and wife's road bikes. The oldest is now 24 years old on original bearings and is as smooth as new with no feeling of wear and trust me, I heavily neglect them. To me, that's the perfect reason to upgrade.
Generally though, with road, cross and track I've built all the bikes from the frame up, in which case I worry first about a top quality wheel build and then the rest of the parts. With MTBs I usually end up spending 1500 or less and the wheels are usually cheap and heavy making them the best initial upgrade. Also just lets me have fun.

Most recent build for the wife, Purple hope pro 5 hubs, purple and blue spokes with alternating purple and blue nipples. The Hopes are supposed to be faster than the previous gen with faster engagement, never had pro4 so IDK, but people love the quality, durability, and they're far better (smoother, faster engaging, and more easily adjusted) than the MT400 hubs that came on the bike, also shaved 3lbs off the bike, so why not like them more?
Old 06-24-23, 11:03 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3903 Post(s)
Liked 6,511 Times in 3,226 Posts
If it's free, wouldn't we all "upgrade"?

If it's not free, wouldn't the rich do it anyway?

So, in conclusion, don't be poor.
Old 06-25-23, 06:21 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4480 Post(s)
Liked 4,951 Times in 3,061 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
If the noise is that annoying the general solution I recommend is ride fast enough that I can stop coasting

Could be multiple reasons. I've had plenty of sets of XT and XTR, compared to White Industry there isn't much difference in smoothness and speed that I can detect, but the WI aren't really any more expensive than XTR while coming in some sweet colors, wouldn't upgrade XTR just for the color improvement but would easily swap Deore or lower hubs or WI, XT, or XTR because you can feel the difference when cruising along vs the cheaper ones.
Hubs like CK, DT, and I9 it is all about a mix of weight, smoothness and engagement. Kings make absolutely bombproof cross hubs that are light, roll smooth and have instant engagement for maneuvering the bike through tight twists over roots and around features, same advantages translate to the MTB as well. I've got kings on mine and middle kid's MTB, wife and oldest kid's cross bikes, and on mine and wife's road bikes. The oldest is now 24 years old on original bearings and is as smooth as new with no feeling of wear and trust me, I heavily neglect them. To me, that's the perfect reason to upgrade.
Generally though, with road, cross and track I've built all the bikes from the frame up, in which case I worry first about a top quality wheel build and then the rest of the parts. With MTBs I usually end up spending 1500 or less and the wheels are usually cheap and heavy making them the best initial upgrade. Also just lets me have fun.

Most recent build for the wife, Purple hope pro 5 hubs, purple and blue spokes with alternating purple and blue nipples. The Hopes are supposed to be faster than the previous gen with faster engagement, never had pro4 so IDK, but people love the quality, durability, and they're far better (smoother, faster engaging, and more easily adjusted) than the MT400 hubs that came on the bike, also shaved 3lbs off the bike, so why not like them more?
I have no issues with choosing high quality hubs in the first place or when buying a new higher end wheelset, but it was a specific question about upgrading DT hubs alone.

Unless they are completely shot I can’t tell any difference in hub “smoothness” while riding along. Faster engagement yes, which is only important to me on a mountain bike.

My bikes do have high end DT hubs, but the Deore hubs on my daughter’s mtb feel just as smooth. I certainly wouldn’t bother upgrading them to XT/XTR. I did however upgrade the front forks on that bike, which transformed the ride.