Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carbon handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-24, 01:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10475 Post(s)
Liked 11,989 Times in 6,139 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
It's a joke, son.
So was mine. "Tireless", get it?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-26-24, 02:00 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7049 Post(s)
Liked 11,095 Times in 4,740 Posts
Originally Posted by adlai
My solution now is to simply use a Dremel rotary tool and drill out part of the arsis shifter so the cable routes more easily.
I think the Chinese manufacturers have every incentive to make safe products. While they may not be able to be sued, bad quality unsafe products will be publicized on the internet. And basic desire to make a good product. Etc.

Unless the major brands are also running these parts through an ultrasound machine, how would their qc be much better?
Now you're going to start hacking away at your cheapie components, while continuing to argue that the more costly name-brand stuff is no better. But yeah, the rest of us are suckers because we pay more money for stuff that actually works.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-26-24, 03:59 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4480 Post(s)
Liked 4,951 Times in 3,061 Posts
I think the Chinese manufacturers have every incentive to make safe products. While they may not be able to be sued, bad quality unsafe products will be publicized on the internet. And basic desire to make a good product. Etc.

Unless the major brands are also running these parts through an ultrasound machine, how would their qc be much better?
😂 you think the unbranded knockoff merchants care about internet reviews or product quality and safety?

The major brands work to recognised professional standards which guarantees a safe product of reasonable quality. Occasionally things do go wrong and then you get product recalls. But none of this applies to random Chinese knockoffs. They really don’t care if your bar snaps like a carrot and puts you on your face.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-26-24, 04:49 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
These bars flexed - until they didn't... myth for some, reality for others!!!

Well, that proves it once and for all. Carbon fiber is an inferior material.
Old 04-26-24, 10:12 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked 7,417 Times in 2,985 Posts
In my experience, most of the companies that sell cheap stuff on Alibaba are driven by altruism and a sense of social responsibility.

/s
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-27-24, 10:43 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4419 Post(s)
Liked 4,062 Times in 2,709 Posts

If you are a no-name brand who cares. Heibei Houzun trading Co. LTD (a cheap carbon bar seller on Alibaba and his 40 thieves) is not a name anyone would remember or care about and if there thing fails not a problem for them because they can change to a different company name or different store or do nothing and nobody will care anyway. It is not a known product, it is not a known manufacturer and they have no real business beyond a massive internet market stunk full of tons of stuff so you won't notice if they are there or if they are gone.

You don't need to run things through an ultrasound machine, you need to do proper product testing and use quality materials and production methods you wouldn't be making a product to be cheap and look like something better just on the outside. You would probably first be designing these parts in CAD programs and using FEA before it is even produced then you have test products and all sorts of stuff to make sure your product is quality. Then you are going to have warranties so if something does happen they will make it right. If something happens to say Ritchey there will be a recall on the product and they will issue new products or credits or something and they will have a reputation to repair as needed.

A random no-name seller has no real reputation beyond just shipping the product in a timely fashion to get a 4-5 star review on the website that someone else runs. Even then they can say well it was shipping delays going from China to the U.S. and having to get through customs and all of that stuff so they can just deny that there was an issue and be done with it. They have no real worries and if someone does go after them it is unlikely a news story will break anywhere and nobody will really follow up on anything and those buying from Alibaba and his 40 thieves will just buy elsewhere not knowing anything or continue buying from that same seller. You didn't research the company involved because you didn't care to, it is beyond cheap and that is all you care about and that is really all anyone cares about.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-27-24, 11:12 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4756 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
These bars flexed - until they didn't... myth for some, reality for others!!!

The videos can be a bit monotonous, but some interesting viewing from a source that supposedly has some cred

https://www.youtube.com/@LuescherTeknik/videos
Old 04-27-24, 02:55 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

That triangular piece of moulding is in the way
Old 04-27-24, 04:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18461 Post(s)
Liked 15,715 Times in 7,388 Posts
So far I’d argue that these aliexpress carbon handlebars are safer than metal bars.

reason is really simple: slippage. For metal bars I almost always undertorque the bolts and so going out they always slip forward.
That’s called user error outside of the troll world.
Old 04-28-24, 12:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,857 Posts
Many have responded, but ....

No-name manufacturers have every incentive ... to make money. No one knows the name ... they have no reputation to lose.

As I understand it ... a lot of engineers get out of college in China and need cash. They decide to reverse-engineer some cheap products, form a company, and sell knock-offs ... hard to picture, I know.

After a few years, everyone is ready to move on to either bigger firms, new ventures, or to escape lawsuits. Just kidding. There are no law suits because by the time the products hi whatever internet retailers, there is no legal connection to the shell corp which has its name on the product. Also, most of the stuff is sold overseas, and foreign customers who have enough money to navigate the Chinese legal system are not buying on Temu or Ali-Express. The bribes are astronomical .....

Tech equipment is cheap enough (or available enough--companies can rent theirs or sell it when they dissolve) and since there is no reason to stay with a start-up, engineers form endless strings of start-ups, hoping to at least keep the bills paid and Maybe get lucky enough to hit on a product which the market is eager for to make some bigger cash.

It isn't that these companies Try top produce trash ... it is just that when it comes to going the extra yard for quality or cutting a few corners, the immediate payoff dictates cutting corners. If some of the workers have substance abuse problems, or are just bored and depressed factory workers who don't care so long as the check clears each week ....

A few companies Do stick around ... Toseek would be one ( ) And while there are a few failures, t5here are no lawsuits (they are still buried in communist China) and also ... "publicized on the internet"???? That is what this thread is. So far I am not seeing a big impact on Toseek's production.

And if there were to be a big internet complaint .... say, if a whole run of products, not just a few, failed catastrophically ... We would then se "Tozeek" or "Toseak" parts hit the market.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-28-24, 05:54 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4756 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
A few companies Do stick around ... Toseek would be one ( ) And while there are a few failures, t5here are no lawsuits (they are still buried in communist China) and also ... "publicized on the internet"???? That is what this thread is. So far I am not seeing a big impact on Toseek's production.

And if there were to be a big internet complaint .... say, if a whole run of products, not just a few, failed catastrophically ... We would then se "Tozeek" or "Toseak" parts hit the market.
I know this thread is supposedly just Carbon-related, but there has been a good amount of chatter on TPU tubes these days, and seemingly many folks willing to try the no-name stuff (e.g. RideNow and Cyclami). These 'no names' however are gettng close to the point I think where we can say they now have a name.
Old 04-28-24, 06:27 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4480 Post(s)
Liked 4,951 Times in 3,061 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I know this thread is supposedly just Carbon-related, but there has been a good amount of chatter on TPU tubes these days, and seemingly many folks willing to try the no-name stuff (e.g. RideNow and Cyclami). These 'no names' however are gettng close to the point I think where we can say they now have a name.
These are branded goods with a growing reputation. You can say the same about some of the Chinese carbon wheel and frame brands.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-28-24, 06:50 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3708 Post(s)
Liked 5,545 Times in 2,804 Posts

That triangular piece of moulding is in the way
As mentioned previously, a Dremel can fix this. Probably doesn't matter whether you choose to hack up the shifter or the bar shaped object.
Old 04-28-24, 07:42 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I know this thread is supposedly just Carbon-related, but there has been a good amount of chatter on TPU tubes these days, and seemingly many folks willing to try the no-name stuff (e.g. RideNow and Cyclami). These 'no names' however are getting close to the point I think where we can say they now have a name.
Yup .... Like Toseek and its cockpit arts ( ) But if one of those companies were to have a major screw-up (a whole run gone bad for some reason) then that name would change .... not the address, staff, or methods ....

Here in the US we have seen major brands do major recalls .... forks and other essential items ... and keep right on rolling .... same in China but it costs less because, no need to recall or reimburse, no regulations and no reputation. "RideNow" becomes "NowRide" and as long as they are they are among the cheapest ... people will buy them. And probably their quality was, is, and will be on par with everyone else's ..... And after all, they got a name because they were cheap and people bought them and they worked well enough. Toseek could call itself Tossoff and so long as it had attractive pricing it would be financially sound no matter how many time that photo of assploded Toseek gets posted.

IMO.
Old 04-28-24, 07:43 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
As mentioned previously, a Dremel can fix this. Probably doesn't matter whether you choose to hack up the shifter or the bar shaped object.
Just don't risk your safety with a cheap Chinese knock-off Dremel tool.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-28-24, 08:08 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 312 Posts
Am I the only one who remembers when a high dollar USA brand mentioned here as a "Quality" brand of carbon fiber components had a couple of wheels fail when being tested by a certain roseate bicycle web site? Or the time some folks who CNC their frames out of forged aluminum had a swing arm fail for the same web site? I have had a carbon fiber seat post fail on my hardtail. And an aluminum handlebar on a road bike...

I once had a suspension bolt shear on a cute little two seat European car associated with quality, probably due to a previous owner's low quality workmanship. The bolt installed was not of the grade specified the shop manual.

So, absolutely do look around. There are people who review bike stuff who post it when it fails. The roseate web site was one when I was reading it. Not sure now that they have gone "corporate". Hate him all you like, but the Orange Squirrel does post some truly horrid QC fails. So do a few others: Peak Torque and DC Rainmaker both used to but I haven't read them in a while. Hopefully they still do.

And the seat post that failed under me? I have four of them. Still have them on road bikes, but none on any hardcore off road bike. And the ICAN seat post on my fat bike survived another winter of abuse.
Old 04-28-24, 10:36 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Am I the only one who remembers when a high dollar USA brand mentioned here as a "Quality" brand of carbon fiber components had a couple of wheels fail when being tested by a certain roseate bicycle web site?
I learned a new word today.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-28-24, 11:11 AM
Camilo

Originally Posted by Koyote
I learned a new word today.
I didn't learn it until the second repetition.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-28-24, 11:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3708 Post(s)
Liked 5,545 Times in 2,804 Posts
Yes, very cool! Never thought of using it for other than birds. You don't find BFer's breadth of knowledge on other hobby sites.
Old 04-28-24, 12:14 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Camilo
I didn't learn it until the second repetition.
ditto. The first time I figured it was a misspelling or a weird auto-correct… The second time I saw it, I looked it up.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-28-24, 04:53 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by Koyote
ditto. The first time I figured it was a misspelling or a weird auto-correct… The second time I saw it, I looked it up.
I'm only half teasing about the word. It is always good to learn new words. Now, to remember and use it appropriately!