Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

minoura action rollers, resistance issure

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 05:37 PM
garethzbarker

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi, I bought some Minoura action advanced rollers a few weeks ago to train with my road bike. I use 28mm tires that came with the bike (specialized pros or something). I was under the impression that rollers provided a flat road type of resistance but that's not what I'm getting. It feels like I'm climbing the whole time.

I've made sure the front roller is positioned correctly, or at least as closely as I can get it to the front wheel axle. I'm pretty sure I assembled the rollers correctly. If I give the drum a good push with my hand it only spins a few times before stopping. If I pedal as hard as I can and stop the rollers only spin for like 2 seconds before my bike stops. If I want to maintain any kind of constant riding it has to be in 2nd or 3rd gear. The low speed tends to make it harder on balance. It's not what I was expecting but is this how they are supposed to work or is there possibly a problem?
Old 01-10-10, 06:10 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by garethzbarker
hi, I bought some Minoura action advanced rollers a few weeks ago to train with my road bike. I use 28mm tires that came with the bike (specialized pros or something). I was under the impression that rollers provided a flat road type of resistance but that's not what I'm getting. It feels like I'm climbing the whole time.

I've made sure the front roller is positioned correctly, or at least as closely as I can get it to the front wheel axle. I'm pretty sure I assembled the rollers correctly. If I give the drum a good push with my hand it only spins a few times before stopping. If I pedal as hard as I can and stop the rollers only spin for like 2 seconds before my bike stops. If I want to maintain any kind of constant riding it has to be in 2nd or 3rd gear. The low speed tends to make it harder on balance. It's not what I was expecting but is this how they are supposed to work or is there possibly a problem?
which gear is that?
Old 01-10-10, 06:22 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
ha, if this were true, it would seem like the mag resistance unit that i ordered will be totally useless. mine arrives tomorrow or tuesday, will let you know how mine rides
Old 01-10-10, 07:33 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the same rollers, mine work fine. If you want to just sit back and spin take off the mag resistance. If you want to do hard intervals, put it back on.
Old 01-10-10, 08:07 PM
garethzbarker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
which gear is that?
hmm good question. I use a compact gearing 50 x 34t. i don't have time to go count teeth but those are the gears i use for pretty decent climbs, small front gear, 2nd and 3rd largest rear fears. i would never need these gears for normal or slight grade riding.

Last edited by garethzbarker; 01-10-10 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 12:29 AM
Seedy J
ボケ

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you using the resistance unit? On the hardest setting? I have the same rollers and they should spin really easily without the resistance unit on.
Old 01-11-10, 02:38 AM
garethzbarker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there isn't supposed to be any resistance no :s
Old 01-11-10, 05:22 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
then it's either put together incorrectly, the rollers are rubbing against the frame (no washers?), the bushings aren't lubricated. could be a few different things. take the rollers apart and put them back together. without a resistance unit, they should spin rather freely.
Old 01-12-10, 11:04 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

just got mine. boy, the damn thing is a beast to ride. i can do it listening to music, but not watching anything. it looks like i need a good month on it before i can do intervals on this

OP, donno how you set yours up, but you can see mine in the following. i actually took off the resistance unit later as i can get up to 75% Max HR pretty easily on it. with the resitance unit on (even at low setting), it adds quite a bit of resistance. for anyone else who has the minoura, does it look correct? their instructions were absolutely horrendous

thanks in advance

top view of rear right corner of roller

outside view of the same corner. i took off the nut & washers & added the bracket piece that keeps the distance between roller axle and magnetic unit. the shiny horizontal object is the bracket

here's the bracket, resistance unit, and belt, courtesy of minoura's website
Old 01-13-10, 12:56 PM
akeelor

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
"If I pedal as hard as I can and stop the rollers only spin for like 2 seconds before my bike stops"

I have used these rollers for 3 years. I don't have the resistance unit, but I can tell you that they should spin freely while pedaling but there is little to no coasting on these. I don't think that is an option on a $150 set of rollers. I can get a good workout w/o the resistance unit and can watch TV, but an extended distraction has found me lying on the floor
Old 01-13-10, 05:11 PM
curiouskid55

Bikes: o5 Specilized roubaix Comp, 06 Tequilo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check that the drums spin freely. If not try loosening the nuts a little until the drums spin freely in a no load condition. With 4" diameter drums it sholud not be the least bit strenuous to spin up to 90 rpm. Outside of the terror level trying to stay on. I have been loooking for a resistant unit. Does any one know if the Moinoura belt runs in a standard belt groove?
Old 01-13-10, 05:15 PM
Jynx

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale CAAD8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
are you using it on carpet? is your rear tire hitting the carpet a little bit causing extra drag?

Buy your bike parts here
Old 01-13-10, 05:27 PM
Velodad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^ That looks right. I'v had the Minouras for 5years and they still work great.
If your riding fitness level is low then the resistance unit will probably be too much for you. Take it off
and just use the gears on your bike to get the resistance you want. When the gears no longer
get it, then start using the mag.
Old 01-13-10, 05:40 PM
Velodad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by curiouskid55
Check that the drums spin freely. If not try loosening the nuts a little until the drums spin freely in a no load condition. With 4" diameter drums it sholud not be the least bit strenuous to spin up to 90 rpm. Outside of the terror level trying to stay on. I have been loooking for a resistant unit. Does any one know if the Moinoura belt runs in a standard belt groove?
On my Minouras the belt groove is the same on all three drums. They measure 5mm wide
and the main drive belt is 4mm diameter. The belt for the mag is the same as seen in the pictures.
It's wedge shape should let it work on many different width grooves.
Old 01-13-10, 08:25 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by Velodad
^^^^ That looks right. I'v had the Minouras for 5years and they still work great.
If your riding fitness level is low then the resistance unit will probably be too much for you. Take it off
and just use the gears on your bike to get the resistance you want. When the gears no longer
get it, then start using the mag.
i lost my speed somewhere on 9W on the way to nyack, ny, please contact me if you find it...

at least it'll be enough of a challenge that it can be my interval workout for a very long time. it was hard pushing a 34x19 on the 6th setting @70rpm.

best part is that while i have quite a bit of trouble ridding the rollers in the saddle on my c'dale six13, i can ride the rollers out of saddle w/ no problem on my giant ocr3. fwiw, this gives the giant defy/ocr a leg up over caad.