Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Favorite mini pump.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-24, 10:52 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Favorite mini pump.

Looking for a mini pump that can inflate both Presta and Shrader, high volume MTB tires and high-pressure road tires. I think I would like one with a flexible hose for ease of use. Don't need the best made but don't want to buy junk either. Thanks.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 03-05-24, 01:44 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
mini pump that can inflate both Presta and Shrader, high volume MTB tires and high-pressure road tires. Don't need the best made but don't want to buy junk either.
Size is a compromise, too, as an overly small pump will take forever to get to the high volume or pressure. I use Lezyne Micro Floor HV, equipped with a digital gauge. I changed the head to ABS-1 Pro.
Old 03-05-24, 03:01 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Does it need to be battery powered?
Old 03-05-24, 04:56 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Here you go.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-06-24, 06:28 AM
John Valuk

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
I like the longest version of the Lezyne Road Drive, and carry it on the frame next to the bottle cage on the seat tube.

Many models from Lezyne have combination Presta/Schrader flex hoses, but the one supplied with the Road Drive is Presta-only. I could buy a different flex hose, but my own valves are all Presta, so I keep a Schrader-to-Presta adapter from Cantitoe Road in my saddle bag in order to be able to offer a roadside assist.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 03-06-24, 08:13 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Are there any mechanical presta valve specific pumps that are under 5.0" in length that can easily achieve 90 PSI & is durable/reliable for road use?
Old 03-06-24, 08:24 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I once counted when using my small Mini Morph pump: over 200 strokes to get to maybe 60-70 psi on a 25mm tire. Small pumps are convenient, but really slow.
(I would just pump up to a soft, but rideable pressure, not the usual full pressure. Now I use CO2.)
Old 03-06-24, 08:46 AM
John Valuk

Originally Posted by Troul
Are there any mechanical presta valve specific pumps that are under 5.0" in length that can easily achieve 90 PSI & is durable/reliable for road use?
I haven't used one, but if I wanted something really "mini", I would probably try a Lezyne Pocket Drive Pro (5.56"), and see how useable it was. I'd be making that choice based on personal experience with their Road Drive, and hoping that the build quality would be similar.

I would be curious to know how "easy" - force required, not number of strokes - it is to get to 90 psi with one of those. It depends on what compromise they settled on for the piston diameter.
Old 03-06-24, 09:48 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
I've considered a frame pump but I would like for it to be transferable to any of the 6-7 bikes I might ride that day. I have a few older frames that do have the nipple to hold a frame pump, but I would hate to buy individual pumps. I simply don't like the idea of disposable CO2 cartridges. I honestly don't flat that often. I think I've had 2-maybe 3 flats while riding in the last 5-6 years, and I ride 3-6 days a week, mostly under 20 miles at a time though. I've bought a couple very cheap pumps before, but they were not reliable and have stopped working. I guess my point is that while 200 strokes or more may seem excessive, it likely wouldn't matter that much to me considering how often I would actually have to use it.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 03-06-24, 10:27 AM
John Valuk

I would like for it to be transferable to any of the 6-7 bikes I might ride that day.
I appreciate the capability of the longest Lezyne Road Drive - too long to be jersey pocket-friendly - and I don't mind carrying it on its mount next to the bottle cage on the seat tube.

Lezyne sells those mounts individually for ~USD 11 each.

while 200 strokes or more may seem excessive, it likely wouldn't matter that much to me considering how often I would actually have to use it
Looking at it from that angle, I'd try something smaller from Lezyne's lineup, and then experiment with it at home to see how satisfactory the performance was.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 03-06-24, 11:55 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
In general,
smaller diameter pumps can reach higher pressures. Wider diameters move more air to fill bigger tires faster, but at a lower pressure.
And longer pumps are faster, sometimes way faster.
Old 03-06-24, 12:42 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
You are not going to find a good high pressure and high volume portable single pump to carry on a bike. It takes more effort to push down on the pump rod on a high volume pump when used for high pressure. Consider getting a second pump. Or a really long one that moves a lot of volume per stroke that has a small enough diameter to supply the high pressure.

Several years ago we often got questions on the touring forum about which was the best pump for touring. I eventually got around to writing up a lengthy post comparing the favorites.
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...l#post18521373

This forum software has changed, the graphic formatting has changed a bit.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-06-24, 01:16 PM
John Valuk

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Or a really long one that moves a lot of volume per stroke that has a small enough diameter to supply the high pressure.
This is what gets me to choosing the longest (294 mm) version of the Lezyne Road Drive, and mounting it next to the bottle cage on the seat tube. It's not "really long" compared to real-deal frame pumps, but it's pretty big for a mini pump.

I put some textured heat shrink tubing on mine to add some grip.
Old 03-06-24, 01:27 PM
cyclomath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
You are not going to find a good high pressure and high volume portable single pump to carry on a bike. It takes more effort to push down on the pump rod on a high volume pump when used for high pressure. Consider getting a second pump. Or a really long one that moves a lot of volume per stroke that has a small enough diameter to supply the high pressure.

Several years ago we often got questions on the touring forum about which was the best pump for touring. I eventually got around to writing up a lengthy post comparing the favorites.
-- link to review --

This forum software has changed, the graphic formatting has changed a bit.
Your review and comparison is a really good read. I had to delete the link, because the forum won't let me have a link in my posts yet, even if it's in a quote... Still a fresh member.

I have owned the Topeak Road Morph G since 2016, carried it on my bike daily and on all tours... It is one of the best purchases I have ever made in general, not necessarily related to cycling. Two years ago I bought its mini version, because it fits the bag I carry on my way to work, and while it's equally comfortable and sturdy it lacks the power of its bigger sister (it lost more power than length).
Likes For cyclomath:
Old 03-06-24, 01:57 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
In my use, Topeak Morph was falling apart after a couple of years. After a far longer use, Lezyne Micro Floor operates like new. If there were no Lezyne, though, I would have been presumably just updating theTopeak.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 03-06-24, 03:23 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I've been using a topeak mini race rocket pump for years and never had any issues with it but I mostly use it on my road bike. small, light, has flexible hose, and does both presta and schrader. Might be an excessive number of strokes to fill a MTB tire. I have used it on a 26 X 1.75 tire though and it wasn't too bad.
Old 03-06-24, 05:25 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by John Valuk
..., and mounting it next to the bottle cage on the seat tube. ....
I always mount my pumps there. I was cleaning the dirt and dust out of pumps too often when mounted on the downtube. Some of my riding is on gravel trails, and in late summer if it has not rained for a while it is really dusty. Less dust on the seat tube mounting.

But on a tour, if I am in an area where I am concerned about theft (maybe 10 percent of the time), the pump is in a pannier. Thus, when I go in a grocery store in an urban area, the pump is not sitting out there waiting for someone to say, that looks nice.

A friend of mine mounts the Lezyne upside down, he said it won't accumulate water in the rain that way. But I do not recall that being a problem for me, so I do not do that.
Old 03-06-24, 05:33 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
The Topeak Road Morph has served one of my bikes for 24 years now. All I've done is relubed the inside once. I'd say it was a "good buy" ! I'm not sure if Topeak includes the side bottle cage bolt mount for these or not. They're sold singly by Topeak otherwise so they're easily transferred from bike to bike with the given mounts. I believe it was this one. https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...ET-(SIDE-MOUNT)
Old 03-06-24, 06:43 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Lots of choices but sadly, lots of compromises.

Agree with a flexible hose between pump and valve.
Old 03-06-24, 10:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Topeak Road Moprh and Topeak Mountain Morph would be the two I would recommend for the jobs. Notice I mentioned two pumps and said "jobs" plural. If you have multiple bikes with different needs you should get the right pump for the right job and make your life easier, if you have say 3 bikes for HP and 3 for HV you can get the two pumps and 2 extra mounts per pump and just move it depending on what bike you are riding. It is what I do though I got lucky and got an extra free Road Morph but that was just pure luck but my 10 year old one is still going strong and is nice and easy to use for all my high pressure needs.
Old 03-07-24, 06:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

I got some low budget extra pump mounts on line, shipped from asia many years ago. They were generic in sizing. Some of my pumps needed some sleeves of inner tube rubber slid over the cylinder to make the pump fit better in the brackets. And some extra velcro straps to make sure the pump stays where it was put.

Or, if you have a Silca pump, there always is rule 30, no bracket needed:
https://www.velominati.com
Old 03-07-24, 07:11 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I have a Lezyne Road Drive large, it's the best mini pump I've had or used. I also have a Topeak Race Rocket HP, not a bad pump, just takes about 75 strokes more to get to 85 psi than the Lezyne, and the effort is higher, but it is the second-best mini pump I've owned.

At one time a few years back I ordered a lot of pumps and sent them mostly all back, keeping the two I mentioned, but the others wouldn't even get to 65 psi, and one of them blew out the end cap at just 40 psi, that one was a SKS Puro, very nice looking pump, but it wasn't able to handle much pressure at all. The Puro I sent back under warranty and they sent me a Wese Carbon, a far better pump, but not as good as the Topeak, it's a huge effort and a lot of strokes to get to 85.

The Lezyne Road Drive in the large size is the best mini pump currently on the market for high pressure tires.
Old 03-07-24, 07:49 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I have been using the Leyzne mini pump for over 12 years. It fits Shrader and Presta and is light weight, simple, and does not loose too much air at removal. Here is a ChiCom copy thats about 12 USD less...

Amazon
Old 03-07-24, 08:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I have been using the Leyzne mini pump for over 12 years. It fits Shrader and Presta and is light weight, simple, and does not loose too much air at removal. Here is a ChiCom copy thats about 12 USD less...

Amazon
So why mention the Lezyne pump if you are promoting a cheap knockoff instead?

Lezyne makes good pumps if not Topeak Lezyne would probably be my choice but knockoffs would never be a choice for anything at any time. I would rather just not buy something then buy fakes, knockoffs and stolen goods.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-07-24, 11:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Topeak RaceRocket HP and the longer HPX. No problems after several years of use -- including many inflations on the road for my own bike and other folks in a group ride.

The Topeaks have, by far, the best ergonomics of any mini pumps I've tried. Big, soft rubbery grip on one end, soft plastic rounded button on the opposite end, that make it a bit less of a chore to pump up near 100 psi. Lightweight, rugged, smooth operation, extension hose stays attached to the pump body, threaded chuck is convertible between Presta and Schrader.

For hybrids, mountain bikes or any tires that don't need to be pumped to 85-100+ psi, go for the other Topeak RaceRocket models with fatter diameter pump tubes. But I've used the RaceRocket HP many times for 700x38 and larger tubes/tires on hybrids. It just takes many more strokes, but at very low resistance compared with high pressure road bike skinny tires.

I tried the Lezyne and didn't care for the ergonomics and fiddly disassembly (the hose is designed to be removed for storage when not in use), although they were excellent quality.

Same with the longish Blackburn equivalent to the Topeak RaceRocket HPX -- excellent quality, but ergonomics were compromised for the sake of a streamlined appearance. No rubbery grips. Sharp metal edges on both ends. A bit more of a chore to pump high pressure tubes/tires. And the chuck turned out to be Presta only, not convertible like the Topeaks. I keep it on one road bike.

On the plus side, the Blackburn included a real and useful metal valve stem tool, threaded into the end cap. The Topeaks claimed to include Presta valve stem tools but neither of mine did -- just soft plastic butt caps.

Last edited by canklecat; 03-07-24 at 11:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.