Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

ditch Domane for Boone Disc?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-14, 09:13 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a somewhat-happy Domane 4.5 owner. I love the IsoSpeed mechanism, but I feel that Trek misrepresented the ability of the frame to handle fenders. To be sure, it has "vanishing" fender mounts, but I cannot fit a fender on the back with the stock tires. had to switch to a GP Force (24) on the back, and the clearance is teensy even with the metal PDW fenders. small pebbles rattle around all the time.

Plus I really want disc brakes (you guessed it, I ride a lot in inclement weather). I already have salmon pads on the Domane and it's not quite enough. Anyway...

my LBS said that Trek had no plans to release a Domane with disc brakes, but then they brought out the Boone cyclocross bike with discs recently. Importantly, the Boone has much wider clearance - up to 40 in back and 47 in front. Great news as I would like to take the bike offroad sometimes as well. So the question is, how do I do the upgrade. I see three options:

A. Boone 9 disc is a beauty but to pricey for me and I don't want electronic shifting anyway.

B. Boone 5 disc (no 7 disc) is a downgrade on components (105/Tiagra mix) and also has a paint job I don't like. But it is less than half the price of the 9 yet has the same quality of frameset. even then I don't want 46/36 chainrings up front; perhaps those can be swapped out.

C. Boone disc frameset, which has same pretty paint job as the 9. I think could transplant everything but the wheels from the Domane, keeping the Ultegra drivetrain.

options B & C are probably around the same price (after building wheels for the frameset); the main difference is that in option B I can just sell my existing Domane as-is whereas in option C I would have just the Domane frameset & wheels and so maybe that would be harder to unload.

assuming that option A is off the table, any thoughts on B (Boone 5 disc complete) vs. C (Boone disc frameset + transplant Domane drivetrain + build my own wheels)?

thanks for any guidance you might have. Matt
Old 01-26-14, 09:30 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
It sounds like you would be better served with a non road-race bike that can handle wide tires and fenders; the Domane is still a road-race bike and fenders seem like a real afterthought for it.

I would save up for option A or go with option C. Option B sounds like you would be saving money, but you would be swapping out parts for other parts and spending time and money fiddling with your bike instead of riding it. It just honestly seems like a bigger hassle than the other two.

Seems like the Boone is going to be a great cross bike though. Good luck.
Old 01-27-14, 05:54 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Here is a good vid on the new Boone cross bike:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K6qtzrRZZ4

Looks to be a hell of a good cross bike. Says nothing of fender mounting however.
Of course on just about any bike you can clip on fenders. So really depends what you want.
If you want full fenders and a lot of tire clearance, you need a bike with eyelets front and back and that type of bike will generally not have the performance of a road bike or top racing cross bike like the Boone.
Old 01-27-14, 06:27 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Anther option is to keep the bike you got and get a second, maybe less expensive, cyclocross bike that will fill in the holes.
Old 01-27-14, 06:42 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
Anther option is to keep the bike you got and get a second, maybe less expensive, cyclocross bike that will fill in the holes.

+1
Old 01-27-14, 07:13 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
C.

Sell the frame and wheels to recoupe part of the cost.

Old 01-27-14, 07:40 AM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
C.

I like this too. Worry a bit about being able to sell a frameset and wheels alone. I have some other parts and could cobble together a full bike wih tiagra drivetrain. Maybe that is a fallback if the frame won't sell alone?
Old 01-27-14, 08:08 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
I like this too. Worry a bit about being able to sell a frameset and wheels alone. I have some other parts and could cobble together a full bike wih tiagra drivetrain. Maybe that is a fallback if the frame won't sell alone?
Frames are an easy sell as long as they are in good condition.

Old 01-27-14, 08:11 AM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
C.

2 very reasonable options!

IMO most race type frame are no fender friendly.
If your allowed to have more than 1 bike...
Keep the Domane for the nice weather, & buy a lower tier CXer to do all the other things you mention above.
Old 01-27-14, 08:15 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If your LBS has experience with the TRP HY/RD calipers I'd put these in the mix. I liked my Avid BB7s, but the TRPs are even better in terms of modulation
Old 01-27-14, 08:29 AM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
n+1 is the clear answer. You need a rainy day bike, it does't have to be super nice or expensive.
Old 01-27-14, 08:31 AM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
If your LBS has experience with the TRP HY/RD calipers I'd put these in the mix. I liked my Avid BB7s, but the TRPs are even better in terms of modulation
+1

This would be my choice too, when I go to discs they will be TRP HY/RD.
Old 01-27-14, 08:44 AM
MajorMantra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re the gearing, a 46/36 with something like an 11/28 cassette is actually not a bad range for road riding - don't forget that larger tyres = more gear inches.

You'll be undergeared for road racing (not that you can use discs to race anyway) or real hammerfest type rides but for everything else it's fine. The small drop between the front rings makes for great shifting too.

I was really enthused by the Hy/Rds too but after much agonising and reading of reviews I went with the post-recall Spyres. They are considerably cheaper, they look better, are lighter and there's no issue with excessive lever travel. Too early for a proper review though, as I've only ridden them twice:

https://thesetbackpost.com/cyclocross/new-spyres/

Old 01-27-14, 08:54 AM
mtalinm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaTom
n+1 is the clear answer. You need a rainy day bike, it does't have to be super nice or expensive.
I very much subscribe to n+1. In fact I have seven bikes (if you count the two I have loaned out) and just sold my eighth. Domane was supposed to be my all-arounder but the clearance was not as advertised. Trek gave me the Force tire to compensate, and sold me the PDW fenders at cost, but clearances are still microscopic (it's ok with 23s, but I'm on the heavy side so like bigger tires). They also said putting a Boone disc fork on the Domane frame will void the warranty (no big surprise).
Old 02-05-14, 07:38 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Did you consider the Crockett disc bikes? Less money, decent specs, and better colors than the more expensive Boone models. Could be a good move?