Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Giving Up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-24, 03:57 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Giving Up?

I've done lots of riding over the years - road racing, mtb racing, track, time trials, tandem, fat bike...
I am tall (c. 195cm, 6'5") and I weigh around 250 lbs - my ideal weight is probably around 220 lbs, but I am generally fit and like to ride a lot, so I have pretty decent peak power, even if my power/weight isn't the best.

My riding habits since I was a youth have left a handful of broken bike frames, and also broken just about every other bike part. But I thought my bikes - a touring bike and a fat bike - were tough enough to handle my abuse.

Then, in the fall I noticed a crack in the chainstay of my touring bike. No problem, because Winter is on its way and that is fatbike season!
Well I made it through another Winter, but last week the freehub mechanism dissolved when trying to crest a steep bit of trail. I can't find a new freehub body for the 'generic' Formula/Bontrager hub with obsolete 190mm qr axle, but I think I found a replacement for the whole hub.
But there was also a small crack developing at the bottom of the slit in the seat tube, so I drilled a small hole to stop it spreading, and I am hesitant to spend any mpre money on this dinosaur.

So I figured if I want two new bikes (gravel bike + spare road wheels + fat bike) it's gonna cost me 6-7k$cdn.

Then I saw this...

https://www.suzuki.ca/catalogue/motorcycles/dual-purpose/

Air cooled 650 dual sport, entry price around 7800$.

I could also get a 2nd hand motorcycle and just one new bike, or any combination therein

So what should I do?
Old 04-02-24, 11:09 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Talk to a custom bicycle bike builder. Get one made that you use for gravel and road.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 04-03-24, 10:19 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 83 Posts
There are so many good used bikes out there. Get a $300 bomb proof classic like a Trek multi Track and have someone lace some 36 spoke wheels for you. My riding partner picked one up for $300.
Old 04-04-24, 12:38 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
So I figured if I want two new bikes (gravel bike + spare road wheels + fat bike) it's gonna cost me 6-7k$cdn.

So what should I do?
Rebuild those damaged bikes with different frames. You could buy locally built steel frames, that suit your height and can be repaired easily should the need arise. (Always be sure you have plenty of correctly sized seatpost inside the frame, to avoid cracking seat tubes.) Then if you saved any money, buy a used dirt bike.
Old 04-04-24, 12:43 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 1,642 Times in 1,054 Posts
So... How many bicycles ya got? And how many Motorcycles?

Hummmm... Let Me Think...

Think Ya need a Motorcycle...
Old 04-06-24, 08:47 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,042 Posts
I’m a dyed-in-the-wool cyclist and a “tight-in-the-wool” Clyde, and while I’ve never had any frame or component failures over the decades (last season 250lbs on 7yr old, sub-17lbs carbon fiber roadie with 1327g, 21 carbon spoked wheels), I did have a motorbike for awhile and found it ultimately dissatisfying to my 2-wheeled urges.

Maybe because I never really felt comfortable enough to ride the moto in shorts and T shirt like some guys do, I came to resent having to get suited up in gloves and all the protective gear to go out for a ride, particularly on those beautiful days when I most wanted to ride. Fall was my favorite time for the moto, when it was chilly and crisp out, but it was obvious from get-go a moto was substitute for a bicycle. Eventually I sold the moto.

Moral to the story: if you’re a cyclist, you can’t give up on cycling. Get the moto if you want, for sure, but have a bike, too.
Old 04-12-24, 04:26 AM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I'm big too, and I built a custom 'monstercross' bike 15 years ago in a class with a master builder.

He brought out the biggest tubes he had, made me dump a good pound of extra brass inside all the brazes, and I've ridden it ever since.

I've done plenty of road, but also bikepacking, singletrack, and even winter riding with studded tires. It's still going strong, after wearing through three full drivetrains and even breaking a crank.

Go custom. There are some no-nonsense builders out there like Waltworks or Curtlo who aren't trying to make museum pieces who will give you a lifetime perfect-for-you bike for a reasonable price.
Old 04-13-24, 01:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18449 Post(s)
Liked 15,683 Times in 7,372 Posts
Do what you want.
Old 04-13-24, 04:09 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)