Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-17, 09:33 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
vo2 sweet spot sandwiches today 4x12. Weeeeeeeeee
Old 03-30-17, 09:41 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel like my legs finally gave way today. I have been feeling like I have needed more rest since my last rest week and they just sputtered out mid-interval today and made the rest of the morning ride miserable. I guess it isn't a bad time to take a little time off considering we have a snowstorm rolling in tomorrow.
Old 03-30-17, 09:54 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Did a couple of KOM intervals over the last two days and then did a 4 x 5 min at 115% today. Easy tomorrow and road race Sat, crit Sunday. Should be fun. Hopefully.
Old 03-30-17, 10:09 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
5x(5'+1'): Did the first 2 too hard and suffered, struggled to complete the last one.
Old 03-30-17, 11:26 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yesterday 3x3x3 at 130% that's a hard session......
Old 03-30-17, 04:37 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
My pathetic training status.

I don't race train anymore (being 62 years old is part of it), but today I got caught up in a "throw down" on our local training route mostly because the guy I normally ride with was a decent Cat 2 back in the day when getting a 1 was really hard and he cannot just let anyone go no matter what. I went with the flow and helped him today. Usually I just let him do his thing. I think he might be 7 or 8 years younger than me.

I quit racing and race training a few years ago and if I was in training today it would have been easy. Not training for a couple of years and then setting a 21 to 22 mph pace for 10 miles is doable, but kind of hard at my age. A few years ago when I was race training it would have been a easy-peasy.

Yeah, it is pathetic.
Old 03-30-17, 05:43 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I "motorpaced" behind my buddy while he did 3x15 Z4 and I tried to do as little work as humanly possible. 45 minutes @ 26 mph, 330 watts for him, 230 watts for me. Good mental/focus exercise. I didn't put my front wheel inside his RD wire but there's a big difference between 4 inches off the wheel and a foot off the wheel.
Old 03-30-17, 06:47 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
My pathetic training status.

I don't race train anymore (being 62 years old is part of it), but today I got caught up in a "throw down" on our local training route mostly because the guy I normally ride with was a decent Cat 2 back in the day when getting a 1 was really hard and he cannot just let anyone go no matter what. I went with the flow and helped him today. Usually I just let him do his thing. I think he might be 7 or 8 years younger than me.

I quit racing and race training a few years ago and if I was in training today it would have been easy. Not training for a couple of years and then setting a 21 to 22 mph pace for 10 miles is doable, but kind of hard at my age. A few years ago when I was race training it would have been a easy-peasy.

Yeah, it is pathetic.
not pathetic, it's great.

my dad is 68 and i can't imagine him on a bike, much less going hard... (due to neuropathy mostly)
Old 03-31-17, 12:08 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Went out ot just slam some hills today with no true plan. Had to end up about 45 minutes south of where I was today to pick up a new coat my parents ordered for me since i was complaining about the cold and rain I've been racing in. Found my Dad, picked it up, tried on the Gabba and loved it. Went to ride back North on a route I ahve done probably 100 times. ENded up on the ground after running into a car that turned in front of me. Spent a half hour talking to police and the ambulance people. Got all the insurance info, will follow up about that on Monday.

Bike seems to be okay. Put some pretty big knicks in my front wheel and upon further investigation a decent dent in the seatstay (Aluminum frame). Going to still attempt to race this weekend in Montana. Dr's said I don't have a concussion and just gave me standard protocol to follow. Ice on the hip right now, hoping to sleep well tonight and wake up just sore in the morning.

Really i was lucky, few seconds earlier and I would have ended up getting hit, rather than hitting him and that ouwld have been real bad. Lucky there was a cop close by to get attention, and lucky the people who hit me were nice people and didn't drive off or get aggressive. Hopefully this all turns out okay on the other side.

TSB is at 0, and I'm taking my first day off the bike to drive to Montana with the team. (first day off in like a month and a half..). CTL/ATL balanced at 105, so I guess I'm in form to race, hopefully the hip doesn't bother me too much.
Old 03-31-17, 03:23 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
@Ttoc6 - Glad you're relatively okay!

If you built the bike up from a frameset, make sure you have a bike shop do a repair estimate that reflects that. The estimate should show full replacement value of anything that's damaged. Right now that appears to be at least the frame and one wheel; shifters usually get scratched up, as do the RD and saddle. If something is dinged up but still works, it still needs to be replaced. If you had, for example, ten-speed Ultegra which is no longer generally available, the estimate needs to show the replacement cost for 11-speed Ultegra. Don't be dishonest, but don't be nice either. It's the driver's insurance company's responsibility to make your bike whole again.

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-31-17, 06:25 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
@Ttoc6 - Glad you're relatively okay!

If you built the bike up from a frameset, make sure you have a bike shop do a repair estimate that reflects that. The estimate should show full replacement value of anything that's damaged. Right now that appears to be at least the frame and one wheel; shifters usually get scratched up, as do the RD and saddle. If something is dinged up but still works, it still needs to be replaced. If you had, for example, ten-speed Ultegra which is no longer generally available, the estimate needs to show the replacement cost for 11-speed Ultegra. Don't be dishonest, but don't be nice either. It's the driver's insurance company's responsibility to make your bike whole again.
This is good advice to follow.

And your if you aluminum frame has a good dent in it, it needs to be replaced. Aluminum does not like being dented. It will eventually crack and tear. It may not happen today or tomorrow or even in three months, but if you continue racing it hard, it will happen at some point. It's better to get it replaced now on the insurance money, cause once the insurer writes you a check, you won't get a second one.
Old 03-31-17, 07:51 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a good training week. I've been on call for the transplant lab so my schedule has been way off. Working to 3am a couple nights has thrown off my sleep so much. Clearly this wouldn't have been a problem when I was in college, but now I'm wrecked for a day or two after late nights and that's without even drinking!
Old 03-31-17, 08:07 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Youthful resiliency - how does it work?

I'm real young compared to most of you guys (30), but I have to pay much closer attention to diet, sleep, drinking etc. Don't bounce back quite as quickly as I did when I started cycling 10 years ago.

Old 03-31-17, 12:13 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
After Monday's great threshold session:

Tuesday: Park Ride (6x3' group sprints)
Wednesday: 90' JRA with the butterlap crew
Thursday: 6 hill repeats for 27' mid Z5

Next Thursday is the California seismic principles exam so I may have to limit my riding a bit. Maybe I'll do one combo Z4/5 workout and one sprint workout. I feel like I gotta throw in a big 100 miler and a 3 hour tempo sesh somewhere soon, but there are a bunch of road races coming up so they might do. If I don't have bike/shifter/mud/tire/road crevice issues again.
Old 04-01-17, 02:47 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I have reached my mental breaking point with the weather. Set out to do 36-40min of vo2 and got rained on for the first 45min of my ride, so I switched to openers instead and will do my vo2 work tomorrow.
Old 04-01-17, 02:58 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too rode in the drizzly cold rain. Between the rains and the snowmelt the world is very, very wet. I chanced riding around barricades to pick a line through a flooded road, then on the way home got cocky and jumped onto the rail trail which was a terrible decision, it was about a mile of praying not to spin out because if you had to put a foot down you'd never be able to extract it from the mud. You'd have to chew your leg off to get home.
Old 04-01-17, 03:05 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I hate everything. 5 months of off and on cold slop is too many months of cold slop.
Old 04-01-17, 04:01 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5 hours rolling terrain with the team. Safe to say the right was filled to the brim and I'm readily filling the left with every fiber of my being. First ride of the year with bare arms and legs despite leaving with temps in the 30's.

If it makes the East coast people feel better my light sunburn is just ever so slightly uncomfortable. Sorry not sorry, you actually got snow this Winter and live somewhere with mountains.
Old 04-01-17, 06:50 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Did a couple hrs of mtb with some friends today, penasquitos canyon.

I took it too easy this week and my legs are begging for more. I'm looking fwd to gettin' back on the horse and bludgeoning them to death over the next few weeks .

I'm kind of at a transition point in my season - have already raced 10 times, and won't again until June due to scheduling conflicts. Time to train big and get some fitness back to carry me through the rest of the season.
Old 04-01-17, 07:53 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3.5 hr group ride after being sick with cough and strep throat. Was glad haven't lost a lot of fitness
Old 04-01-17, 08:33 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3.5hrs this morning where Ygduf made me climb faster than i wanted to on the first hill ("i'm racing tomorrow!") though really its my own fault for taking the bait. and it wasn't *that* hard, just harder than easy. first ride on the CAAD12 i bought to replace my rain-bike CAAD10 i sold to a friend - 28mm tires were kind of fun, but the handlebars were set up all wrong so i took the bike back to the shop to fix that up. i also tried out powertap P1s for the first time - they look pretty hideous, and theyre not completely compatible with my look keo cleats so i had a little bit more float than i was used to, but overall they worked pretty well (i might switch to zero float cleats to minimize the differences?)

in the afternoon i got to try out the P5 i bought for the first time. first we honed in the fit a little on the trainer before i rode it outdoors and about 5 minutes in i realized we hadn't fully tightened down the sticks after we had last adjusted them so the ride was a little sketchy (especially when the bars also had no tape, had mineral oil and exposed wiring all over and i'd never ridden a TT bike before...). i know theres supposed to be like a 20hr breaking-in period to get used to hard efforts on the bike, but i think im going to need 20 hours just to learn how to ride the thing and actually stay in the bars as opposed to *****ing out onto the horns half the time. i think i'll need to drive out to the practice TT course at least for the first few times i ride it because its kind of hard to spend time in the sticks when you need to brake to wait at a light every 2 minutes for the first half hour

overall, fun day with 2 new bikes. little jealous to see two friends separately PR the benchmark climb today (favorable wind and weather) given i haven't really been climbing much anymore these days and have instead tried to focus on racing and becoming a better all around rider. life was simpler when all i did was try to go fast up climbs, but i guess i'll have time for that in the fall when the racing season is over.
Old 04-02-17, 03:37 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 hour spin in light drizzle and a good head of wind that was nice enough to let me ride into it both out and back. Spent the first 45 minutes figuring out if my HR wouldn't come up and I show turn and roll home slowly. Felt deceptively recovered. Last hour into block headwind was cruel and demoralizing. One week and two days left before first race.
Old 04-02-17, 03:51 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Couldn't mentally bring myself to do more ****ing intervals and legs felt really meh so I rode long and reasonably chill and sniped a KOM that has been on my hit list for like 2 years. 4.5hrs, got some tan lines I hope!
Old 04-02-17, 06:51 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Today was supposed to be rough, 30 mins at sweet slot, 5x5s, and then another 15 mins at sweet spot, but I actually didn't feel too bad. Finished it off with a couple of easy laps of Fiesta with the wife. Yesterday was just a bunch of sweet spot climbing, 4 hours total.

I've been doubting my power numbers from the stages, so the past two days I've had a powertap and a second garmin so I can compare numbers. Yesterday's efforts all showed 10-15w lower on the Ptap that was all climbing. Today I was on the flats, so I'll be interested to see if that makes a difference. Not sure how much drive train losses account for that 10-15w too.
Old 04-02-17, 07:00 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Aha! So you're only 10w stronger than me, not 20 .

Nice ride tho - glad you felt good. I spent most of it hungover and lazing around w the gf - we had a great date night out starting w a fancy dinner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.