Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-17, 08:16 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everest

did some Everest-ing on sunday . me (left) and a buddy did a local segment of our MABRA hill climb 98 times to get the elevation gain.

Numbers:
spent 12:30hrs riding, 14 hours outside with breaks. Started at 4:15am
625TSS on the day
8500 calories
Gearing was 34/32 most of the time, had to stand on the 2 minute 'wall' first section x 98 times.

loads of fun, loads of pain .... all to reach 29,029 feet of elevation gain

strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/986823350

Old 05-16-17, 08:46 AM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After 4-weeks of basically flailing around on the bike, I'm back with a coach.
Signed up for 6-months of fun.

Looking to reach 4W/kg.
Old 05-16-17, 09:00 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jdms mvp
did some Everest-ing on sunday . me (left) and a buddy did a local segment of our MABRA hill climb 98 times to get the elevation gain.

Numbers:
625TSS on the day
8500 calories
Gearing was 34/32 most of the time, had to stand on the 2 minute 'wall' first section x 98 times.

Ouch.

I rode with a friend that was Everesting last year. He picked a longer climb which seemed more manageable than 98 ascents. I think I did 4 ascents with him (which was still 4,800 ft) and no interest in doing more.
Old 05-16-17, 09:15 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Love the sawtooth pattern on the strava elevation chart! Nice work, it sounds awful.
Old 05-16-17, 09:35 AM
jdms mvp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
Love the sawtooth pattern on the strava elevation chart! Nice work, it sounds awful.
it was tough nearing the last 1/4 of the day , no doubt!

Originally Posted by hack
Ouch.
I rode with a friend that was Everesting last year. He picked a longer climb which seemed more manageable than 98 ascents. I think I did 4 ascents with him (which was still 4,800 ft) and no interest in doing more.
Yea a group of 9 friends did everest on this hill a month ago and I was debating on another route which would have taken about 3-4 hours longer of ride time and nearly doubling the distance , which wasn't ideal.

it also turns out that the straight forward descent and tree covering over the road was a godsend for yesterday, as the slight moisture at 4am and hottest parts of the days were not as big of factors.

all in all , thankful to have had friends and family share in the experience. Of the 12 hours we probably were only alone for 3 of those hours, and he had people riding with us basically all day!

Support vans mid climb was essential!

absolutely shattered

Old 05-16-17, 10:40 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
That's a lot of burritos worth of work!
Old 05-16-17, 10:56 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Amazing!
Old 05-16-17, 11:26 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
3 days away from the bike and then I snuck in an hour on the trainer last night at 9pm with 3x10 at sweet spot. Easy ride to bring it back but I feel like I've got a small cold going on from the airplane ride yesterday. Hopefully it will pass quickly. Doubled my zinc and vitamin C supplement this morning. Depending on weather I might be outside this evening or might just pull another trainer ride tonight.
Old 05-16-17, 05:39 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Recovery tonight, tomorrow off. Planning on an easy ride with a few efforts Thursday, then 3 days of racing this weekend. 3 mile TT Friday, 35 mile road race saturday, crit sunday in an omnium format. This is a great weekend of racing that I look forward to every year since I started doing this one
Old 05-16-17, 05:41 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@jdms mvp that is really something, well done.

I have a technical question that arises from the one time I did something similarly stupid (but less impressive). Did you wear the same bibs for the whole ride?
Old 05-16-17, 05:46 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
dear lord that is bad for you. I bet you lost a % of fast-twitch fibers that day!!

anyway - I did my training race ride today. They disrespected me by not chasing my first attack so I soloed the rest of the way.

Old 05-16-17, 06:15 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Awesome job on the Everesting!

Where'd you get that shirt? Ah needz me one! Perfect for this former French teacher/translator/interpreter and retired Soldier.

ETA: I searched for the shirt with no luck, but did come up with a related search - Drogués comme des cyclistes or doped like cyclists.

Demain, on roule!

Last edited by revchuck; 05-16-17 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-16-17, 06:17 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
U23 Nats is 109 miles 22 laps around.
How would you train for that? I really want to know. This is not junior territory.

He is off the radar and I expect nothing, but kid is on fire, didn't get sick, crazy focused and powerful and light.
The mechanical's always haunt us. We go on the edge. Mom will likely stay home so no stress and come out after the RR.

Last edited by Doge; 05-16-17 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-16-17, 06:23 PM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by jdms mvp

Numbers:
625TSS on the day
8500 calories

That's my neck of the woods. Congrats on an awesome ride!
Old 05-16-17, 07:41 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
AWhere'd you get that shirt? Ah needz me one! Perfect for this former French teacher/translator/interpreter and retired Soldier.

Nicest base layer around.
Old 05-16-17, 07:44 PM
jdms mvp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Amazing!
thanks! it feels amazing to be done and still walking 'ok'

Originally Posted by globecanvas
@jdms mvp that is really something, well done.

I have a technical question that arises from the one time I did something similarly stupid (but less impressive). Did you wear the same bibs for the whole ride?
i wore some thermal bibs for the first half of the ride as 4:15am departure was low 40s. I had tights and a jacket on to start. For the second 3 hour stint, i took the tights off and put on knee warmers. At the mid way point, i then changed to another pair because it warmed up to mid 70s on the day. So two bibs each saw 6 hours of ride time roughly. Wore rapha all day, pro team bibs are the most comfortable bibs i've tried and no grundle issues after everest at all. No chamois cream either.

Originally Posted by Ygduf
dear lord that is bad for you. I bet you lost a % of fast-twitch fibers that day!!
probably yea

Originally Posted by revchuck
Awesome job on the Everesting!

Where'd you get that shirt? Ah needz me one! Perfect for this former French teacher/translator/interpreter and retired Soldier.

ETA: I searched for the shirt with no luck, but did come up with a related search - Drogués comme des cyclistes or doped like cyclists.
Rapha base layer :-D
Pro Team Base Layer - Sleeveless | Rapha

Originally Posted by ntnyln
That's my neck of the woods. Congrats on an awesome ride!
thanks! i used to live in clarksville , so E.C was a great riding playground. I still have a bunch of friends there so alot of them came out to do laps with us!

Last edited by jdms mvp; 05-16-17 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-16-17, 07:56 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

anyway - I did my training race ride today. They disrespected me by not chasing my first attack so I soloed the rest of the way.

Nice!
Old 05-16-17, 08:03 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
U23 Nats is 109 miles 22 laps around.
How would you train for that? I really want to know. This is not junior territory.

He is off the radar and I expect nothing, but kid is on fire, didn't get sick, crazy focused and powerful and light.
The mechanical's always haunt us. We go on the edge. Mom will likely stay home so no stress and come out after the RR.
The course is constant turning and up and down. Think of it as a 4.5 hour crit. That's how most of the people in my race were describing it. High NP, even sitting in. Very quick to get out of sight for breaks. I was riding as smoothly as I could mid-pack and sagging a lot of early climbs and I still racked up 308 TSS by 3.5 hours in...and with still another hour to go.

Last year it seems we dodged a bullet with heat and humidity as I believe the dew point was only in the low 60s instead of low to mid 70s. I'd be surprised if we were so lucky this year. U23s will be tougher being around lunch time. At least 1s start at 7am. Course has a good bit of shade, so that helps, but if humidity is as high as usual, it'll be carnage again.

Of course last year Axeon just mauled everyone in the u23s. Will definitely be tough.
Old 05-16-17, 08:23 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 days completely off with forced bed rest to give my antibiotics a chance of clearing up the MRSA from my infected crash wounds. i almost died of boredom (i finished several books and then just ended up going into work for something to do). saw the doctor again monday - not out of the woods yet but i convinced her that if i didnt at least do light exercise then i would probably go insane. 30 minute jog this morning (HR 10-15 BPM higher than it should be for the effort...), 1hr ride this evening. legs felt super fresh on the ride, almost as if they haven't been properly used in a week... was mostly well behaved but did 3.5 minutes comfortably hard up a climb (6 W/kg) because its really hard to do nothing when you feel good (aside from that nice stinging pain coming from the gross wound in my hip...). finally felt like myself after exerting some effort.

going to be keeping the rides to ~1hr and no workouts until i see the doctor again friday, but its good to be on the bike again.
Old 05-16-17, 08:23 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Twinge in the back of the throat is still there. Ended up doing this weird threshold workout on Trainer road. One hour with steps at or just above threshold. Something like 78 TSS in an hour.
Old 05-16-17, 08:52 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
... I'd be surprised if we were so lucky this year. U23s will be tougher being around lunch time. At least 1s start at 7am. Course has a good bit of shade, so that helps, but if humidity is as high as usual, it'll be carnage again.

Of course last year Axeon just mauled everyone in the u23s. Will definitely be tough.
I was trying to coax him toward the 1s. Axeon will be tougher IMO because of being dissed for ToC. And ex-teammate Brandon recovering from hip fracture, also not doing ToC will be hungry. Puppy is teamless, so needs to wheel surf.
Anyway, no big goals here, just something to do where he is not expected to show. If they let their guard down, maybe there is some opportunity. In juniors he tended to be marked, now he is a nobody, so I think that is a good thing.
Old 05-16-17, 09:33 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo
the MRSA from my infected crash wounds.
that sucks.
Old 05-16-17, 09:48 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yup. maybe next time i'll reconsider skidding across the pavement at speed. it seemed like such a good idea
Old 05-17-17, 08:45 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts

hell yeah!

also nice ride @jdms mvp!
Old 05-17-17, 09:17 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I accidentally set a new 30min AP and NP number the other day while pretending I was getting my face punched in over and over again for the first half an hour of my race sim ride. So that was neat.

Not racing this weekend, so I think I'm gonna go after some of my longer climbing KOMs to track progress since the fall. I could just do an FTP test but that seems kinda boring haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.