Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 05:47 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jdms mvp
did some Everest-ing on sunday . me (left) and a buddy did a local segment of our MABRA hill climb 98 times to get the elevation gain.

Numbers:
spent 12:30hrs riding, 14 hours outside with breaks. Started at 4:15am
625TSS on the day
8500 calories
Gearing was 34/32 most of the time, had to stand on the 2 minute 'wall' first section x 98 times.

loads of fun, loads of pain .... all to reach 29,029 feet of elevation gain

strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/986823350
impressive work. well done!
Old 05-17-17, 11:00 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
After talking with @Doge about IAB stuff, decided to try it out the bike I'll be racing this coming weekend. Switching out bars ended up taking WAY longer than expected due to frayed cables needing to be replaced... So I missed hte gorup ride I was supposed to do tonight and instead went to the only ~flat~ section of road near by to practice holding the IAB position for as long as the road would allow. Managed to hold for the entire 3 minute segment. Averaged ~24.5 mph on 280 W in training gear (skinsuit baselayer, it's still cold in Seattle for some reason) with shallow wheels.

We'll see how that goes at the race on Saturday morning. Should be a fun experiment none-the-less.
Old 05-18-17, 06:16 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
impressive work. well done!
thanks dude!

Originally Posted by TMonk
hell yeah!

also nice ride @jdms mvp!
thanks! i'm still feeling fatigued =(
Old 05-18-17, 07:07 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
...Averaged ~24.5 mph on 280 W in training gear (skinsuit baselayer, it's still cold in Seattle for some reason) with shallow wheels....
Compared to what before?

I know the setup is a pain. Did you move seat too?
Old 05-18-17, 09:24 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by Doge
Compared to what before?

I know the setup is a pain. Did you move seat too?
Hard to compare. I don't ride this segment of road alone all too often. I did set a PR for time over the main section of road that i did the interval on though, so I guess I was faster, but no way to compare power numbers. (plus I'm still adapting to the new PM I got.)

I already ride with a 0 set back seatpost. I'll shove the saddle forward even further to test that out.
Old 05-18-17, 09:29 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you could always channel 2015 TKP and ride with a reversed setback post!
Old 05-18-17, 09:34 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Hard to compare. I don't ride this segment of road alone all too often. I did set a PR for time over the main section of road that i did the interval on though, so I guess I was faster, but no way to compare power numbers. (plus I'm still adapting to the new PM I got.)

I already ride with a 0 set back seatpost. I'll shove the saddle forward even further to test that out.
My kid uses a UCI compliant setup on the road bike (6 cm offset), so it was easier to use a different bike. He commented that the Specialized power TT seat really made a difference being so far forward. When you start closing that angle too much the power goes down. So I was really curious about your results/comparing. In that 25mph+ area losing ~W for better areo could be worth it.

I'm changing bars again for my kid to get him a wee lower. It is more that those pads are too far apart and the valley is too narrow, so the current setup is less than ideal (if he ITT'd). The flat bars will bring him lower and I have to use an ugly stem to keep his height the same. So we will see what 1" does. I expect power to go down, but speed may go up. For him, this is more an interesting exercise as he is only doing TTT so far and it is less significant than it would be in an ITT .
Old 05-18-17, 10:08 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by Doge
My kid uses a UCI compliant setup on the road bike (6 cm offset), so it was easier to use a different bike. He commented that the Specialized power TT seat really made a difference being so far forward. When you start closing that angle too much the power goes down. So I was really curious about your results/comparing. In that 25mph+ area losing ~W for better areo could be worth it.

I'm changing bars again for my kid to get him a wee lower. It is more that those pads are too far apart and the valley is too narrow, so the current setup is less than ideal (if he ITT'd). The flat bars will bring him lower and I have to use an ugly stem to keep his height the same. So we will see what 1" does. I expect power to go down, but speed may go up. For him, this is more an interesting exercise as he is only doing TTT so far and it is less significant than it would be in an ITT .
Agreed. This is a fun little experiment.

Looks like going to need a time in the 14 minute range to place well. That is about 27 mph on a 10k course that is net -. 2% grade with 90 feet of elevation change. Hmmm. Going to need to push the pedals a bit harder.
Old 05-18-17, 10:27 AM
Doge

This is the segment in that picture above.https://www.strava.com/activities/492883151#11858844567
Top Road Bike times are a wee over 28mph for 14miles up and down ~300ft. The junior 15-18 are all on road bikes.
The road requirement is more strict than collegiate. They would not allow that FELT DA2 for example at VOS while it is allowed in collegiate.

If you did ~24.5 27 is hard, but in reach. Get the wheels changed. Get cables tucked in. Shave the legs and the arms - cover arms.
Good luck!

Last edited by Doge; 05-18-17 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-18-17, 11:21 AM
akinsgre

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale SuperSix EVO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started to commute on my Cyclocross bike. Saves me time and has helped me get more hours overall on the bike.. but I'm having a tough time getting the "correct" workouts in. basically, my intervals are a couple hills in both directions and some block long sprints.
Old 05-18-17, 11:40 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by akinsgre
Started to commute on my Cyclocross bike. Saves me time and has helped me get more hours overall on the bike.. but I'm having a tough time getting the "correct" workouts in. basically, my intervals are a couple hills in both directions and some block long sprints.
Yeah. It can be a challenge. For me, some of it has to do with the available roads. And what I have to carry. I have a couple of routes where I basically take a 20 mile detour and that allows me to do a 1x50' tempo ride or 2x20' sub-FTP. And those are fine with a backpack, but something like VO2max or anaerobic capacity intervals suck with weight on your back.
Old 05-18-17, 01:17 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scheibo
3 days completely off with forced bed rest to give my antibiotics a chance of clearing up the MRSA from my infected crash wounds. i almost died of boredom (i finished several books and then just ended up going into work for something to do). saw the doctor again monday - not out of the woods yet but i convinced her that if i didnt at least do light exercise then i would probably go insane. 30 minute jog this morning (HR 10-15 BPM higher than it should be for the effort...), 1hr ride this evening. legs felt super fresh on the ride, almost as if they haven't been properly used in a week... was mostly well behaved but did 3.5 minutes comfortably hard up a climb (6 W/kg) because its really hard to do nothing when you feel good (aside from that nice stinging pain coming from the gross wound in my hip...). finally felt like myself after exerting some effort.

going to be keeping the rides to ~1hr and no workouts until i see the doctor again friday, but its good to be on the bike again.
Don't mess around with MRSA man, for real. What abx do they have you on?
Old 05-18-17, 01:37 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
Don't mess around with MRSA man, for real. What abx do they have you on?
'clindamycin' and 'sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim'. they took a culture, so i might get different antibiotics on monday when i go back and they have the results.
i finish the antibiotics tomorrow morning + see the doctor againthat afternoon. elbow has healed pretty well, almost fully healed (just red scarring) and only slightly tender to touch (so not perfect), hip wound seems to have reduced in size from 1 7/8" -> 1 1/2" or 1 3/8" by my measurements, though the center still has yet to close up and hasnt made much progress. not super painful to touch though - used to have trouble lying on my side in bed without stinging pain or showering, now its pretty much fine. yesterday i had a bit of a fever and spent a lot of the day in the bathroom, but i didnt run in the evening and just went to bed and got 10hrs sleep. feeling a lot better today, still taking it easy until i get a thumbs up from a medical professional.
Old 05-18-17, 03:04 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going to withhold judgement here, but could you briefly touch upon your decision to partake in a cardiovascular activity at a waste site that has multiple signs posted to warn you of the greatly enhanced potential to contract airborne illnesses?
Old 05-18-17, 03:11 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the entire area where i live is a waste site. the signs by the treatment plant just basically say 'don't go in the water', which i dont. they also happen to be the only trails nearby - my alternative is running on a freeway or around busy office parks. my doctor has told me my infection is due to stuff that lives on my skin anyway, not from any exotic contaminants.

i think my mistake was more likely going back to 20hrs of week of activity immediately post crash - probably helped compromise my immune system a bit.
Old 05-18-17, 04:21 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Taking a long weekend off the bike to visit Mexico City this weekend w my gf, so I smashed myself to bits on the bike before work:

3:00 flat
61 miles
2.5k elevation
215 w AP

Put in a 15' at Fiesta towards the end that was on par with what I aim for on a 2x20' workout, but that was after 50 miles of hard riding. Nice!
Old 05-18-17, 06:15 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Did our Wednesday night crit last night after an hour in the morning doing some sweetspot. It was brutal. First really hot/humid night and I had about 335 np for 55 minutes.

Completely wasted today. To the point of almost falling asleep at my desk while my third graders ran amok, wasted. TSB is only -15 but these first few days of proper summerlike weather ruin me every year. Not bothering riding today in hopes of recovering for some solid training this weekend.
Old 05-18-17, 07:47 PM
crazyarm07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did my last 12 hour overnight (7p-7a) shift ever last night. 3 weeks off now until I start a new gig. Time to stop being a vampire and get myself back in shape. This is gonna be painful.
Old 05-18-17, 09:14 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
these first few days of proper summerlike weather ruin me every year
I think I experienced this for the first time this season. Not sure if it's just the heat coming as a shock to the system, or flowers blooming and allergens in the air, or what, but I felt like crap for a good two weeks despite what should have been a manageable training load
Old 05-18-17, 10:48 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Went for a ride with some collegiate / club teammates. Good times were had despite hitting what felt like every redlight on the way through town... Worked on the IAB position a bit more. Definitely more comfortable in it even without any additional padding. Also was able to push some big enough numbers on a flat road, so should be fun to try it out at the TT on Saturday.
Old 05-19-17, 08:59 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i finish the antibiotics tomorrow morning + see the doctor againthat afternoon. elbow has healed pretty well, almost fully healed (just red scarring) and only slightly tender to touch (so not perfect), hip wound seems to have reduced in size from 1 7/8" -> 1 1/2" or 1 3/8" by my measurements, though the center still has yet to close up and hasnt made much progress. not super painful to touch though - used to have trouble lying on my side in bed without stinging pain or showering, now its pretty much fine. yesterday i had a bit of a fever and spent a lot of the day in the bathroom, but i didnt run in the evening and just went to bed and got 10hrs sleep. feeling a lot better today, still taking it easy until i get a thumbs up from a medical professional.
They didn't change the Abx after the culture came back? How do you know it's MRSA? And if you're having a fever, that could be a very bad sign; I suggest calling your doctor right away if you can. I'm not an MD but I do work in a hospital immunology/microbiology lab and a fever could mean you have bacteremia, which typically requires IV antibiotics to clear.
Old 05-19-17, 03:06 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no change to prescription. i know its MRSA because the doctor said so. apparently they take the culture and then test some antibiotics to see what it responds to or something? i don't really know, i write software.

anyway, doctor was not hyped that my healing seems to have plateaued a couple days ago (plus the fever or whatever i had on wednesday), so she's referred me 'with urgency' to see a surgeon. yippee. pretty friggen bummed - ive had way worse crashes/wounds that ive treated significantly less (the only time i saw a doctor for them was when i got mauled by a dog in France because i had to get rabies shots!), and its especially tough to not be able to train despite mostly feeling fine.
Old 05-19-17, 03:11 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Debridement time...
Old 05-19-17, 04:04 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ugh. just googled that - gross. but yeah, i think thats whats going to happen
Old 05-19-17, 06:00 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish you the best scheibo. Concern was warranted given the chain of events you've described. Maybe aim for living in a World Heritage Site instead of a superfund site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.