Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

how to bridge to the break

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

how to bridge to the break

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 08:28 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
lol - I think if I had a van pacing me up to the break I would have caught back on..
And then the vans pulls off about halfway through the video IIRC, and he goes on alone.

He has many real race videos of bridging to breaks. He is so good at it, that it seems to be one of his go-to strategies. Instead of going with multiple breaks. Wait for the one that seems like it is the right one, then bridge to it. Many of these are much more than 10 seconds up the road.
Old 07-10-17, 12:20 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
I don't post here that much anymore, but back when I did there was somebody that had a variation on 2x20 intervals where instead they went 5 minutes "on" and one minute "off" for 6 reps. The idea was to replicate the training of the 2x20 in a shorter time. Anyone remember that? We named that set of intervals after him. I used to do them and they were so hard that I got exercised induced Tourette's Syndrome during the last set. But they really worked. They allowed me to do some things for 5 to 10 minutes that I could not do before without totally blowing up.

I am thinking that intervals like this might be just the thing to prepare oneself for such efforts. This a a bridging effort that is not a short sprint where 1 minute intervals would be the training regimen, i.e. the 10 second or so gap. Instead it is a bit of a longer effort where you need a quick recovery after so that you stick in the break. And you recover with some matches still left for later.
Those were "ZeCannon" intervals i think, right? How hard was the "on" part?

Riding threshold wouldn't be enough to bridge to a break, at least for me.

my race videos
Old 07-10-17, 05:44 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
those were "zecannon" intervals i think, right? How hard was the "on" part?
103-108% (it's in the first post in the workout recipe sticky thread, above)

Last edited by globecanvas; 07-10-17 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-10-17, 12:21 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Training and Racing with a power meter has what they call "winning intervals" which replicate the pattern they saw in power files of successful breaks. IIRC, it's something like this : 30 seconds all out; followed immediately by 10 minutes at or slightly above FTP, and ended with a 20 second sprint.

So 30 seconds to jump clear, 10 minutes working in the break, and a sprint at end to win from the break.

Seems like this would also work for replicating the type of work necessary for bridging.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-10-17, 12:39 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
So, I was in this scenario yesterday and wasn't able to get closer than 10 or so seconds before having to settle in and watch them slowly roll out of sight. I'm not sure there is much you can do if the break is working well and you missed the train to the promised land unless you are part horse ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 07-10-17, 12:43 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Riding threshold wouldn't be enough to bridge to a break, at least for me.
that's why it's (not you) stupid to put a limiter on it (timewise) - if I get clear of a pack and am heading toward the break I'll do over threshold for a bit to get space, but then settle in. My riding threshold is usually going to be faster than all but super-motivated/coordinated breaks. It might take me 10 minutes but I'll get there eventually.

then I get 4th, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 07-11-17, 11:42 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
buddy system works best.

i've missed two breaks by attempting to bridge solo. Both times the group had about 15-20 seconds on us and I got 'close' within 7 seconds, proceeding to blow up spectacularly. One was in a RR when they eventually finished 5 minutes in front of us, and the top 5 for the stage race was that group =( . Another was in a crit, where i attempted to bridge to a group of 6. Doing a 3 minutes PR for the season on the flat, and again blowing up.

i think it really depends on what the break is doing, how big the gap is, and the horsepower u got. Being a smaller built rider i think i'd need the perfect storm of things to happen for me to bridge a 30 second gap or something. On the surface, there is just little hope for me to outpace 5-6 dudes working together in the front of a race, i just dont have that horsepower not matter how hard i try =(. But maybe if they mess around, the group behind me messes around, i could have bridged by some miracle 1% of the time. lol
Old 07-11-17, 12:43 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have always had the theory that a 2 man group is %125 stronger than a 1 man group. Being able to go into the red just a bit and then recover is a lot better than going at just FTP.
Old 07-11-17, 03:56 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
I have always had the theory that a 2 man group is %125 stronger than a 1 man group. Being able to go into the red just a bit and then recover is a lot better than going at just FTP.
only if they're working together and not afraid of getting dicked over. if there's mistrust everyone is riding at 95% and saving a little for the inevitable shenanigans. That's how I can bridge to just about any break.
Old 07-11-17, 05:20 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
only if they're working together and not afraid of getting dicked over. if there's mistrust everyone is riding at 95% and saving a little for the inevitable shenanigans. That's how I can bridge to just about any break.
Doesn't sound like a break I would like to bridge to.
Old 07-11-17, 06:25 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

What I'm more interested in is answers to b). It's not sprint power/top speed, it's not really FTP. It's more like top sustained speed/power, but for less than say 10 minutes.

A similar question popped up on fb. The guy was asking vo2 max and it came up that there was a portion in which he was trying to bridge. He said "3 man break got away. I tried to bridge but failed (this was around the 16 minute mark)"

Two replies:

(BTW, if you zoom into your bridge attempt, I bet that the average during that part is very close to your FTP.) -Andy Coggan

I would actually one up him, I bet the time period before the bridge effort and the bride effort will result in 8-14 minutes just over FTP as an average.... - Tim Cusick

So, my takeaway, and my constant struggle and something I have to always remind myself to go back and work on... is ftp as high as possible, even for sub 10 min efforts.
Old 07-11-17, 07:47 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
The way I figure it, the best way to successful bridge up to breaks is to have the highest FTP in the race. The guys who can do this are the guys who are always in the mix to win.
Old 07-11-17, 08:57 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Doesn't sound like a break I would like to bridge to.
if you only want to bridge to breaks that are riding at 125% of what you're capable of, you must not bridge to many?

I usually get there, work hard and take my 3rd. 3rd from the break is still better than 25th from the field.
Old 07-11-17, 09:39 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I've got pretty good 4 to 8 minute power relative to my other durations. But that's still not very good for bridging I think. If I'm doing 400 watts for a 5 minute bridge attempt but the break is doing 350 I'm going maybe 1 mph faster.

Maybe 28 or 28.5 mph.

So divide 5 minutes by 28, that's a 10 or 11 second gap. I'd rather do 450-550 and try to close that in a minute or 2 than wallow in no mans land blowing a 5 minute power test mid race.

20 seconds Ill never close unless I downgrade to cat 4.
Old 07-11-17, 10:36 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Had a situation like that today on a group ride. I had gone solo otf on accident. Group of two came past me not going super fast and I was slow to react. Got on top of the pedals and was hammering trying to get there when I realized it was not going to happen with how fast they were going compared to me. Sat up for the group to catch me when the one threat that was left in the group jumped past and was FLYING. Tried again to catch his wheel and realized it wasn't going to happen either. I should have just buried myself and got to the group real quick rather than trying to pace it back. I was capable of riding with them, but just lacked the mental fortitude to make the high power jump to catch on. Pacing like that blew my opportunity to go over twice.
Old 07-12-17, 07:36 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My ftp is pretty lousy, but I have decent 1 to 5 min power. If I see a break develop that looks promising, I'll try to jump across as hard and fast as possible. Once i get there I'll skip a turn or two and then start working. If I relied on a long drawn out perform to get across I'd either never make it or be too fried to contribute.
Old 07-12-17, 10:42 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you only want to bridge to breaks that are riding at 125% of what you're capable of, you must not bridge to many?

I usually get there, work hard and take my 3rd. 3rd from the break is still better than 25th from the field.
Nope, I like to seed my own breaks.
Old 07-12-17, 10:49 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nope, I like to seed my own breaks.
an under appreciated skill. when I have few or no teammates I always do this.
Old 07-12-17, 12:27 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
My ftp is pretty lousy, but I have decent 1 to 5 min power. If I see a break develop that looks promising, I'll try to jump across as hard and fast as possible. Once i get there I'll skip a turn or two and then start working. If I relied on a long drawn out perform to get across I'd either never make it or be too fried to contribute.
Same. When I bridged to the break I won from at Golden State, it was an all-out ~50-second effort.

At Davis I just waited too long.

It's always funny to me to think about how at some point, the break was zero seconds ahead. Then one, two, ten, etc. Why didn't I just go earlier?!

my race videos
Old 07-12-17, 01:24 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

It's always funny to me to think about how at some point, the break was zero seconds ahead. Then one, two, ten, etc. Why didn't I just go earlier?!
if you go too soon it's not a break, you're just closing a gap and everyone will come with you. That's why.

I get pissed on TNR because dudes refuse to let breaks get far enough ahead to give them a chance to stick. They go to bridge too soon and suddenly the ride is just single file and there's no gap at all.
Old 07-12-17, 02:24 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
if you go too soon it's not a break, you're just closing a gap and everyone will come with you. That's why.

I get pissed on TNR because dudes refuse to let breaks get far enough ahead to give them a chance to stick. They go to bridge too soon and suddenly the ride is just single file and there's no gap at all.
Exactly what Daniel says. I sit there frustrated he has let another one go, and he is instead waiting for it to establish. No point in going when it is going to get caught anyway. He did that with you at Knight Ferry, but you decided to make it more difficult. It is still much harder to TT at the front of a break than TT to it.

The one that is kinda obvious no-no, I see all the time, is when a break is being caught someone thinks it is good to bridge to it, when if they waited 10 min, the group would be caught anyway. I have seen breaks almost get caught, then re-ignite again and stick, but that is pretty rare.
Old 07-12-17, 04:24 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge

The one that is kinda obvious no-no, I see all the time, is when a break is being caught someone thinks it is good to bridge to it, when if they waited 10 min, the group would be caught anyway. I have seen breaks almost get caught, then re-ignite again and stick, but that is pretty rare.
If there's a failing break that I can get to, rest, then launch from I will do that, but I go across with the intent of going through.
Old 07-12-17, 04:27 PM
Doge

If there's a failing break that I can get to, rest, then launch from I will do that, but I go across with the intent of going through.
When do you launch? At capture, or just before?
Old 07-12-17, 04:32 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
When do you launch? At capture, or just before?
from the pack? I want to bridge to it while it's still a break. I go again from the break depending on tons of variables. I like to use them as a short rest then basically seed a new break from the field from that position. Even if it's only 5s ahead of the pack, that's 5s I don't have to contribute to my new gap.
Old 07-12-17, 05:11 PM
Doge

from the pack? I want to bridge to it while it's still a break. I go again from the break depending on tons of variables. I like to use them as a short rest then basically seed a new break from the field from that position. Even if it's only 5s ahead of the pack, that's 5s I don't have to contribute to my new gap.
No, from the break. You answered - tons of variables. I was looking for simple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.