Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anything Better Than Brooks for Adventure / Tour Style Riding?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anything Better Than Brooks for Adventure / Tour Style Riding?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 03:26 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 450 Posts
Selle SMP TRK
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 06-16-23, 04:04 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,066 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I wish Avocet was still in business making saddles. Had Avocet saddles on both my racing bike (narrow version) and touring bike (wide version.) Best saddles I ever owned.
I toured cross country on an Avocet. Used them for everything back then. I'm one of the Brooks haters. Now I use Selle Italia Flite gel.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-16-23, 04:26 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I have been trying for a few years to love an SMP saddle on my MTB but I really just don't. The model is called Extra, I think, it was a cheaper version of the Hell / Well saddle. I think they spend all their effort on the fancy $300 versions. I've hung onto it for so long because it matches my color scheme
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-16-23, 04:31 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Specialized Mirror 3D-printed saddles are amazing and very well received. Definitely worthy of your consideration. Brooks worked well back in the day, but once I tried a Cinelli Unicanitor saddle I never looked back from a modern approach to saddle construction.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 06-16-23 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-16-23, 04:49 PM
melissam

Bikes: Merlin Camena, Trek Domane SL7 Gen 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
I have been using Brooks saddles for the past 15 years, but every now and then I like to try something else. I've been "auditioning" a Selle SMP VT30c on my trainer bike, and so far so good. Selle SMP has a saddle selector that will give you recommendations based on your sit bone width and riding style, which is how I picked the VT30c.

As bike fitters, Colby Pearce and Steve Hogg are huge proponents of the Selle SMP saddles. Here's a couple of links:
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ll-about-smps/
https://www.colbypearce.com/smp-primer/

Of course, with all things, especially bike saddles, your mileage may vary.
Likes For melissam:
Old 06-18-23, 06:48 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by jwalther
Take a look at Selle Anatomica if you want a leather alternative to Brooks. Selle Anatomica
Only if you want an anatomical saddle.
Old 06-18-23, 07:25 PM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
I’ve used a number of saddles. First off, the claim that a leather Brooks without a cutout is good is preposterous. They suck to be honest. The claim that leather conforms to you if you just sit on it for hundreds of hours first is ridiculous. If you sat on foam it would eventually conform, just like a pair of old sneakers you can see where the foam is compressed.

the best saddles I’ve used had cutouts. Sprung saddles are good, so are suspension seatposts. I do like the rubber saddles a lot. My favorite is the selle anatomica rubber saddle with a cutout.

Rubber saddles without a cutout suck. One of the worst is a brooks Cambrian c15 without a cutout.

generally though a cheap saddle with foam and a leather covering will be fine, better than a leather brooks. But putting springs on the saddle helps a ton
Likes For adlai:
Old 06-19-23, 02:57 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Don't be so lazy, do a little research here on BF..you won't be hard-pressed to find 50 threads discussing Brooks saddles vs everything else. Brooks hasn't changed, and neither will the comments about them.
Strangely enough, they sort of have. It used to be that the centerline of the saddle would be the hide's natural centerline from along the spine of the animal and thus there was natural stiffening and durability effect, where the saddle would resist "hammocking" for longer and could be adjusted for stretch less often. Modern saddles are not cut the same and thus do not last as long. Apparently; I am not a saddle expert and am repeating something I was told by a bike mechanic.
Old 06-19-23, 09:57 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 311 Posts
Don't be so lazy, do a little research here on BF..you won't be hard-pressed to find 50 threads discussing Brooks saddles vs everything else. Brooks hasn't changed, and neither will the comments about them.
Brooks has changed the leather so asking for new commentary is appropriate.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 06-19-23, 01:05 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
Strangely enough, they sort of have. It used to be that the centerline of the saddle would be the hide's natural centerline from along the spine of the animal and thus there was natural stiffening and durability effect, where the saddle would resist "hammocking" for longer and could be adjusted for stretch less often. Modern saddles are not cut the same and thus do not last as long. Apparently; I am not a saddle expert and am repeating something I was told by a bike mechanic.
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
..this would be new to me at least and of interest to many here on BF..do you have any references or data that indicates this is true, or is this a belief based on second/third-hand info you heard or read on the web somewhere?

I searched the web for a bit(basic web search as well as a broad search to target all forums, not specific to BF) and so far I see nothing to suggest any changes.
Old 06-19-23, 01:31 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 311 Posts
..this would be new to me at least and of interest to many here on BF..do you have any references or data that indicates this is true, or is this a belief based on second/third-hand info you heard or read on the web somewhere?

I searched the web for a bit(basic web search as well as a broad search to target all forums, not specific to BF) and so far I see nothing to suggest any changes.
Different cow.

Old 06-19-23, 02:10 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts

Knowing the guy who told me, I'd look to Jan Heine and bike quarterly/Rene Herse blogs etc. Or some other randonneuring Francophile subtly trying to get in digs at Brooks to once and for all prove the superiority of Giles Berthoud saddles.
Old 06-19-23, 02:31 PM
Greyhounds

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Berthoud and Ideale. Yeah, both are French, but they're both phenomenal saddles! Of course, YMMV.
Old 06-20-23, 01:55 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Absolutely. I used a Brooks B17 for years and never found it comfortable. Since then I've had Fizik, Specialized and Fabrik saddles, all of which I have far preferred.
Old 06-20-23, 08:52 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
For me pretty much every other saddle I have tried was better. I owned one many decades ago and it was just okay when new. I liked it less and less as it broke in. I am not very fussy about saddles and would not mind all that much riding the saddles that came with my bikes even for a coast to coast tour (I did used the cheapie that came with a $600 bike for the Trans America), but my preference is a saddle from the WTB Volt series. Really of the saddles I have used other than some 1950s type stuff the Brooks is about the only one I won't ride again. Why would I? It wasn't very comfortable even when at its best and went downhill from there. It is fairly expensive. It is heavy. It requires more TLC than most saddles.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 06-20-23, 10:20 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,847 Times in 2,235 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
Yes, I concur. I have traded away 2 B17s (over a decade ago) - new one I could not break-in, second came on a bike nearly new and quickly traded.

Butt,...I was recently gifted an Imperial B17 with cutout and laced skirts. Rather than disappoint my daughter, I laced the skirts rather tightly and rode without a problem after about a 5 mile warm-up period. Not a lot of miles for an update but the leather 'seems' to be different. OR, maybe cycling shorts have gotten better. B17 is a bit wide for my bones. Pro or older B15 suit me.

I also 2nd earlier praise for Selle Anatomica - if leather works for you. A long cutout and softer leather is the one I like.

Selle SMP has a good design for me - find the model with the amount of padding you may prefer. Rode it for 500+miles across WA state.
Selle Italia has long and narrow, mostly split rail, lightweight model I ride and like. Several years old. I found it affordably in an LBS "Used Saddles" bin, but not a loaded touring saddle = no loopholes for a bag.

I don't tour and seldom spend all day in the saddle, so I am less picky.

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-20-23 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-28-23, 05:42 PM
Eusam
Whippersnapper

Bikes: 1987? Diamondback Ascent, 1987? Stout, 2023 Bike Friday, 2012 Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 13 Posts
I have a variety of different saddles on my bikes, but most of my long rides are on WTB or Berthoud saddles. I think my Berthoud Aspin is my favorite for long distances, but the WTB SL8 is a close second. I have not tried a Brooks, mostly because they seem to be prone to getting stolen, and I've seen a lot of pictures of badly hammocked, torn, or broken saddles. The berthoud is less recognizable, and you can easily replace the frame or rails if they break.
I spent quite a while trying out different saddle sizes before I figured out my saddle shape preferences (narrow, and mostly flat). My strategy was to go to bike co-ops, get a few cheap used saddles of different shapes from the used saddle bin they inevitably have, and then ride around on them. Once you have the shape figured out, then you can go get a fancy new one if you want. This technique doesn't work well for leather saddles, but it's pretty low risk.