Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mavic Road UST - Tubeless

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-18, 10:57 PM
Carbon1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking at purchasing the Mavic Cosmic Pro SL Carbone UST wheelset and so far have only found a few magazine reviews online. Is anyone here running this wheelset? or any of the other Mavic road UST wheelsets?

I'm looking at this for a training and race wheelset. Was curios on feedback for the Yksion Pro tires, rolling resistance, wear and durability, etc. (I will be running these tubeless with sealant) Overall performance of the wheelset and brake performance/wear. I've heard the recommended yellow Swissstops tend to create brake dust that gets all over the bike, chain

Currently I have Reynolds Assault SLG with GP400SII's

Thanks ;-)
Old 01-29-18, 07:46 AM
Billy1111

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Parlee ESX, Factor o2,Colnago CX Zero Disc,

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i have this wheelset, i ran it tubeless for a while until i got a puncture that that sealent wouldnt seal. I had to put a tube in and sealent was all over.....since i have got back to latex tubes and am happy..... u must get the technique down to putting the tires on, it can be a very tricky and hard!
Old 01-29-18, 07:48 AM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
overall i like them but a bit sketchy in the wind....i would look at enve 7.8 maybe
Old 01-29-18, 08:04 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
No experience with the Mavic system, but I do own Assault SLGs and I'm curious on the switch/addition. Is there a reason that you're not running the Assaults tubeless?
Old 01-29-18, 09:23 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am running the Comete UST for about a 1000 miles so far with the stock Yksion tires and I am pretty happy with them. These came with my Canyon Aeroad so I didn't have the option of getting the Cosmics you are looking at, but if I could have selected another wheel I think it would have been them since they are lighter and not as deep.

So far the wear, rolling resistance, and durability of the Yksions seem very similar the the GP4000's I was running on my old bike. I don't know how your Reynold's perform in the braking department or any other carbon rim brake for that matter, but the braking in these is just not as good as my old Campy brakes with the aluminum Eurus wheels. They require more hand pressure to stop and they squeal and squawk loudly. I can still lock up the tires so they aren't terrible, but I guess that is kind of par for the course with any carbon rim brake?

As far as yellow dust getting every where from the pads, I haven't noticed anything other than a little yellowing along the rim brake surface on the wheels. This is with the Stock Mavic yellow pads.

And I am running them tubeless with the regular Stan's sealant. They are as easy to mount them and remount them as what Si Richardson from GCN showed in the youtube video for me at least.

Last edited by jitteringjr; 01-29-18 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-30-18, 01:15 AM
Carbon1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy1111
i have this wheelset, i ran it tubeless for a while until i got a puncture that that sealent wouldnt seal. I had to put a tube in and sealent was all over.....since i have got back to latex tubes and am happy..... u must get the technique down to putting the tires on, it can be a very tricky and hard!
Billy, thanks for the reply. I have heard a few people that have had a large puncture or slash in the tire that the sealant couldnt fix, and I know it can make quite a mess of things. Overall, I ride about 150 - 200 miles a week and over the past 2 years I get an average of 1 to 2 flats a month, none of which I think the sealant would have failed.
I also had 3 separate races that I flatted in, and that can be pretty frustrating too.
I ride in some sketchy areas in L.A, Long Beach, Santa Ana, I just want a little piece of mind that the tubeless will take care of 70% of the flats. I still plan on carrying a tube and C02, just in case. ;-)

Just curious, were you using the Mavic sealeant? or another brand?

thanks ;-)
Old 01-30-18, 01:27 AM
Carbon1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
No experience with the Mavic system, but I do own Assault SLGs and I'm curious on the switch/addition. Is there a reason that you're not running the Assaults tubeless?
Whyfi,

A couple of reasons, I have the version of the Assaults, I believe 2014, just before they officially changed the carbon bead to be tubeless compatible. Also, I've got 2 1/2 years of training and racing on them, and I think it's just time for something new. They have been a very reliable wheel overall, with the exception of replacing a few broken spokes in the front wheel, I've barely even trued them.
I have considered buying a newer set of the Assaults and running the Schwalbe pro 1 tubeless tires on them (still an option) but I was really impressed with the videos I've seen on the ease of installation with the new Mavic UST tire/wheel combo.

Thanks ;-)

Last edited by Carbon1; 01-30-18 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-30-18, 01:49 AM
Carbon1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
I am running the Comete UST for about a 1000 miles so far with the stock Yksion tires and I am pretty happy with them. These came with my Canyon Aeroad so I didn't have the option of getting the Cosmics you are looking at, but if I could have selected another wheel I think it would have been them since they are lighter and not as deep.

So far the wear, rolling resistance, and durability of the Yksions seem very similar the the GP4000's I was running on my old bike. I don't know how your Reynold's perform in the braking department or any other carbon rim brake for that matter, but the braking in these is just not as good as my old Campy brakes with the aluminum Eurus wheels. They require more hand pressure to stop and they squeal and squawk loudly. I can still lock up the tires so they aren't terrible, but I guess that is kind of par for the course with any carbon rim brake?

As far as yellow dust getting every where from the pads, I haven't noticed anything other than a little yellowing along the rim brake surface on the wheels. This is with the Stock Mavic yellow pads.

And I am running them tubeless with the regular Stan's sealant. They are as easy to mount them and remount them as what Si Richardson from GCN showed in the youtube video for me at least.
Thanks for all the feedback I was hoping that the tires would give similar wear/performance as the GP4000SII's.

The Reynolds carbon do not brake as good as my previous alloy wheels, I think I've just gotten use to having to brake earlier, and not ride them in the rain. From what I've been reading, the Mavics should be a step up in the braking over my Reynolds, do to the laser etched brake track. I'd be ok if they're the same.
Getting the brakes not to screech definitely takes some finesse in setting them up, getting the tow right is critical. They did squeal a little more when they were new, but settled down as the pad bed in to the rim shape.
Good to know that the yellow is just limited to around the rim, and there is no extra dust getting on the chain, etc. ;-)

The only other concern would be how fast the pads wear out, the Reynolds blue pads have lasted 2 1/2 years. The Mavics look to be about $50 a set, hopefully they will last at least a year.

THanks ;-)
Old 01-30-18, 08:20 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon1
Thanks for all the feedback I was hoping that the tires would give similar wear/performance as the GP4000SII's.

The Reynolds carbon do not brake as good as my previous alloy wheels, I think I've just gotten use to having to brake earlier, and not ride them in the rain. From what I've been reading, the Mavics should be a step up in the braking over my Reynolds, do to the laser etched brake track. I'd be ok if they're the same.
Getting the brakes not to screech definitely takes some finesse in setting them up, getting the tow right is critical. They did squeal a little more when they were new, but settled down as the pad bed in to the rim shape.
Good to know that the yellow is just limited to around the rim, and there is no extra dust getting on the chain, etc. ;-)

The only other concern would be how fast the pads wear out, the Reynolds blue pads have lasted 2 1/2 years. The Mavics look to be about $50 a set, hopefully they will last at least a year.

THanks ;-)

Time will have to tell for how long the brake pads last and I am probably not a good person to compare with since I ride a lot of trails and park areas where I am not in traffic having to stop a lot. The only time my brakes really good a good workout is when I am going down a curvy mountain pass and that doesn't happen as often for me as I would like.
Old 01-30-18, 08:07 PM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon1
Billy, thanks for the reply. I have heard a few people that have had a large puncture or slash in the tire that the sealant couldnt fix, and I know it can make quite a mess of things. Overall, I ride about 150 - 200 miles a week and over the past 2 years I get an average of 1 to 2 flats a month, none of which I think the sealant would have failed.
I also had 3 separate races that I flatted in, and that can be pretty frustrating too.
I ride in some sketchy areas in L.A, Long Beach, Santa Ana, I just want a little piece of mind that the tubeless will take care of 70% of the flats. I still plan on carrying a tube and C02, just in case. ;-)

Just curious, were you using the Mavic sealeant? or another brand?

thanks ;-)

I used the orange stuff....run them low psi for nicer ride
Old 01-31-18, 03:30 PM
jitteringjr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy1111

Curious to hear more about what you hit or how the tire punctured that it wouldn't seal. Was it a tear or did you hit a large piece of metal? Any ideas?
Old 01-31-18, 03:37 PM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
Curious to hear more about what you hit or how the tire punctured that it wouldn't seal. Was it a tear or did you hit a large piece of metal? Any ideas?
I dont know what i hit but the hole was only 1-2 mm at most...the sealant just kept bubbling out and never dry, it was especially cold that day so maybe that had something to do with it???

before i gave up and put the tube in I expected all the sealant to be gone but there was still a decent amount in the tire.

I was not a fan of the mavic tires either....at the lower psi they were tolerable but nothing like a 4000. defintely happy enough to change a tube if i have too