Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need recos on easiest mounting tubeless tire

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-21, 07:59 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts

My Cannondale Hollowgram wheels are a &$%*@ to mount tires on.

Note: Every time I mention this, I get the helpful tips, e.g. start at the top, start at the bottom, pinch the tire all around to make sure it's in the center... All correct... but not enough. I've been mounting tires for (gulp) 45 years. I had a pro tech mount one and it went something like "All you have to do is... jus... uhhg... son. of. a... Damn." I have to use a bead jack.

Before I throw these wheels in the trash (they are nice carbon wheels after all), I want to try one more set of tires. I've tried Conti 4000s and Schwalbe Pro Ones.

Any recommendations on a tubeless tire that's known to be easier to mount than others?

Thanks!
Old 05-25-21, 08:09 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Which Pro One did you use? The Pro One Evo Addix are among the easiest that I've ever mounted, but I don't have any experience with the first gen Pro One TLE. Supposedly, the POEA are made to the (as of yet unofficial) ETRTO road tubeless standard, so any others also built to that standard should have the same bead diameter.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-25-21, 09:02 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Second the Pro One TLE addix- cake to mount and inflated with a track pump
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 05-25-21, 09:19 AM
Zaskar

Oooh... this is good news. I have the older Pro Ones.
Old 05-25-21, 11:12 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
What width tire are you wanting to use? Ease of mounting can vary within a brand even by the width.
FYI, I don't the GP4000s were ever tubeless.
Old 05-25-21, 11:17 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Does easy to mount mean easy to burp?
Old 05-25-21, 11:28 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Does easy to mount mean easy to burp?
​​​​​​
That's not really a thing with road tires.
Old 05-25-21, 11:36 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience, but on my rims, GP5000s are incredibly difficult to mount, requiring a bead jack and lots of profanity. In contrast, Pirelli Pzero TLRs were quite easy - standard tire levers for one, just thumbs on the other. Also popped the bead on with a standard floor pump. The continentals required a co2 blast to seat.
Old 05-25-21, 11:37 AM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
What width tire are you wanting to use? Ease of mounting can vary within a brand even by the width.

25mm

FYI, I don't the GP4000s were ever tubeless.
I initially mounted a GP 4000 (tubed) and it was so difficult to mount, I bailed - didn't mount the other tire, pulled the mounted 4000 back off (which was an equal nightmare) and bought the Schwalbes. The thinking was - if the roadside repair is going to be impossible or next to impossible, at least tubeless will reduce the likelihood. That worked. I had one flat in two years (I ride other bikes) and was able to fix the hole (too big for the Stans to seal) with a plug.
Old 05-25-21, 11:55 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Zaskar
I initially mounted a GP 4000 (tubed) and it was so difficult to mount, I bailed - didn't mount the other tire, pulled the mounted 4000 back off (which was an equal nightmare) and bought the Schwalbes. The thinking was - if the roadside repair is going to be impossible or next to impossible, at least tubeless will reduce the likelihood. That worked. I had one flat in two years (I ride other bikes) and was able to fix the hole (too big for the Stans to seal) with a plug.
This likely won't help much unless you wanna go for some Gatorskins , but you could take a look thru the limited dataset that LB shows, and choose the rim size that might be closest to whatever you have.
Fairly universally, and could be another topic for discussion, 25mm TL seems to always be harder to mount than 28mm for a given tire model. Not sure why that would be.
https://www.lightbicycle.com/newslet...th-Charts.html
Old 05-25-21, 12:39 PM
Zaskar

Sy Reene that is interesting. Their experience shows the Schwalbes as relatively easy, but does note that the 28 is easier than the 25. However, they showed a huge difference in two sizes with the Contis.

Old 05-25-21, 04:21 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Sy Reene that is interesting. Their experience shows the Schwalbes as relatively easy, but does note that the 28 is easier than the 25. However, they showed a huge difference in two sizes with the Contis.

Interesting huh? I don't know what to make of this stuff though. Here's 2 examples for the Schwalbe's, one is a relatively narrow rim (18c internal), the other on a wide rim (23c internal). How is it possible that results flop the opposite way for one rim width vs. the other, for the same tires? (the top 2 rows are the wide rim ratings)

Old 05-26-21, 06:25 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Pro One TLE were relatively easy to mount on my Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels. They might have gone on even easier & quicker if I had more experience, but it was my first time mounting bicycle tires of any type.
Old 05-29-21, 10:38 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Vittoria corsa speed was trivial for me to fit. It's a TT tire and delicate, though. However, I got Vittoria's tubeless installation kit with their airliner foam inserts. Those contain a set of plastic clips aa well as pliers which double as extra strong levers.

The clips in particular make even GP5000s a breeze. They hold the already inside parts of the bead where it is so you can just lever the last bit on. Even with the foam inserts.
​​​
Old 05-31-21, 06:49 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
This is an unanswerable question. Rims have a spec’d dimension and a tolerance plus or minus that dimension. Tires have a dimension, with a tolerance plus or minus.

Rim manufacturers will tend to err on the high side of the tolerance. Tire manufacturers will tend to err on the small side.

How any particular rim and tire fits, depends on those two specific tire and rim. you could have a tire to the small side of spec and a rim to the large size,or vice versa.
One person’s experience with a particular brand tire and rim, only tells you how that exact tire and rim matched up. It tells you little about how another tire and rim from the same manufacturers would match up.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 06-09-21, 08:36 AM
Zaskar

Originally Posted by ericcox
...Pirelli Pzero TLRs were quite easy...
Thanks ericcox - bought a couple of these

To give you an idea how tight the new Pzero was - I had to use two tire levers to get the first side on. Worse, I used a few zip ties to keep the bead from coming off as I worked the other part of that bead. Again, to get the first side of the tire on. The zip tie thing worked really well. They allowed me to reposition my hands, check that the bead was still centered, etc.

With one side of the bead on, the tire jack worked its magic and the tire was on. All in, it took about 5 min. to mount the tire. It was MUCH easier and quicker than the Schwalbes. But this could absolutely be attributed to what merlinextraligh eluded to - that a rim on the larger end of the manufacturing tolerance meeting a tire on the smaller end... boom. Also, I jumped to 28s from 25s. That alone could be the reason.

On the plus side - the tire seated, sealed and aired up almost like it was tubed.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 06-09-21, 09:48 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Which Pro One did you use? The Pro One Evo Addix are among the easiest that I've ever mounted, but I don't have any experience with the first gen Pro One TLE. Supposedly, the POEA are made to the (as of yet unofficial) ETRTO road tubeless standard, so any others also built to that standard should have the same bead diameter.
I second that! My Pro Ones also also really easy to mount. Even when they got out the box folded, they mounted on the first try. I'm pretty sure they can be installed on rims without an air compressor.
Old 06-09-21, 12:38 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Thanks ericcox - bought a couple of these

To give you an idea how tight the new Pzero was - I had to use two tire levers to get the first side on. Worse, I used a few zip ties to keep the bead from coming off as I worked the other part of that bead. Again, to get the first side of the tire on. The zip tie thing worked really well. They allowed me to reposition my hands, check that the bead was still centered, etc.

With one side of the bead on, the tire jack worked its magic and the tire was on. All in, it took about 5 min. to mount the tire. It was MUCH easier and quicker than the Schwalbes. But this could absolutely be attributed to what merlinextraligh eluded to - that a rim on the larger end of the manufacturing tolerance meeting a tire on the smaller end... boom. Also, I jumped to 28s from 25s. That alone could be the reason.

On the plus side - the tire seated, sealed and aired up almost like it was tubed.
That does sound way harder to get them on the rim than they were for me, though it sounds like you've found a good method. I'm glad they seated and aired up so well. It's impressive to me how well they hold air versus my GP5000s. I hope you enjoy them.
Old 06-09-21, 03:15 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Old 06-09-21, 04:35 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Nice, but OP is looking for a tire, not a whole new system. Besides, go to 46" into that video.. sorry, but I can't pump that fast to seal a bead.
Old 06-10-21, 07:09 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Nice, but OP is looking for a tire, not a whole new system. Besides, go to 46" into that video.. sorry, but I can't pump that fast to seal a bead.
I've done it and I'm no physical specimen at age 75.
Old 06-10-21, 07:25 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I had no problems mounting the four 28mm michelin tubeless that I have in use on fulcrum racing 3 wheels. I have a big air compressor, so bead seating was also easy. Orange seal endurance works great. When new, the sidewalls can leak air, but the orange seal fixed that. They hold air as well as a tubed tire. The ride beats any clincher I've owned, since I can run pressures in the sixties and not have to worry about pinch flats.
Old 06-10-21, 09:27 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience, but on my rims, GP5000s are incredibly difficult to mount, requiring a bead jack and lots of profanity. In contrast, Pirelli Pzero TLRs were quite easy - standard tire levers for one, just thumbs on the other. Also popped the bead on with a standard floor pump. The continentals required a co2 blast to seat.
Boyd wheels actually posted a WARNING about trying to mount GP5000 tubeless on their carbon wheels:
A word of warning regarding Continental GP5000 TL tires. – Boyd Cycling
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-10-21, 11:29 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Boyd wheels actually posted a WARNING about trying to mount GP5000 tubeless on their carbon wheels:
A word of warning regarding Continental GP5000 TL tires. – Boyd Cycling
Wow - that's really interesting. My next set of tires will be Pirellis again (they're waiting on a shelf). I'm avoiding the Continentals.
Old 06-10-21, 11:36 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Wow - that's really interesting. My next set of tires will be Pirellis again (they're waiting on a shelf). I'm avoiding the Continentals.
It is interesting, and far from the only anecdotal problem with GP5K TL mounting. That said, the wording of the Boyd memo is interesting given that they wrote it about 1.5+ years after the 5KTL tire was on the market. IOW, who's engineering in the tight fit? Chicken or the Egg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.