Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Which wheelset would you recommend for general all round riding?
DT Swiss PR 1600 spline 32 disc
88.89%
Mavic Krysium S disc
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Wheel upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-21, 05:14 AM
Fatburner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheel upgrade

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my stock wheels (Giant S-R2). I知 getting brand new Mavic krysium S disc and DT Swiss PR 1600 spline 32 wheelsets for the same price. Based on the specs, they seem pretty similar with different rim width. I don稚 know how the 2 hubs compare (DT350 vs ID360). I知 looking for your advice on which one should I buy? Is the DT Swiss the premium off the two?

I知 into endurance riding, mostly paved and at times soft / crushed gravel. I run 28 or 32mm wide tires.

thanks for your advice 🙏🏽
Old 06-05-21, 10:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I mean if those are my literal only two choices DT Swiss probably because Mavic proprietary stuff is a pain in the butt and their wheels sometimes are good and sometimes are meh. Having to stock so many proprietary spokes is no bueno on my end.

Personally though I would do White Industries hubs, Sapim spokes and secure lock nipples and Velocity rims or maybe HED Belgium but that is me.
Old 06-06-21, 03:49 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
If you live in the US look at this selection. It's the only place I buy wheels now.

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/road-disc/

They have free shipping and discount codes:

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/road-disc/
Old 06-06-21, 05:02 AM
Fatburner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I mean if those are my literal only two choices DT Swiss probably because Mavic proprietary stuff is a pain in the butt and their wheels sometimes are good and sometimes are meh. Having to stock so many proprietary spokes is no bueno on my end.

Personally though I would do White Industries hubs, Sapim spokes and secure lock nipples and Velocity rims or maybe HED Belgium but that is me.
thanks veganbikes. I should have mentioned that I知 also ona budget of buying within $600.
Old 06-06-21, 06:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatburner
thanks veganbikes. I should have mentioned that I知 also ona budget of buying within $600.
Fair Dinkum then. Probably would stick with DT then!
Old 06-06-21, 08:44 PM
FrznTek

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Everything I see on the Giant S-R2 wheelset looks like they are rim brake, so just for clarity what type of brakes does your bike have?
Old 06-07-21, 01:33 AM
Germany_chris
I知 a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatburner
You could probably get a wheels set built at your LBS for $600 the price goes up when you start looking at fancy parts.

You can build your own wheel at prowheelbuilder.com or just email them and give your budget, weight, and use and they'll email back with what they think is right.
Old 06-07-21, 04:45 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
DT Swiss has a great reputation and track record. So does Mavic but I've read complaints of the quality being spotty...likely due to poor QC and manufacturing standards.
I ride Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels which I've used every day since I bought them in 2001 or so. I've never had a problem with them. I am a 'light' rider, meaning I don't ride the bike like it is a bulldozer and I'm a bit over 160lbs but still the wheels have been flawless. I've had to adjust the tension on a couple of rear spokes once or twice over their life and never the front wheel...luck and riding style.
I've recently bought a new wheelset...2019 Mavic Aksium rear wheel and Ksyrium front...great price and couldn't say no...for an inexpensive rear compared to my 20 year old Ksyrium it is a good match and works great.
Just know what the condition of the wheels before buying and make sure you have a good return policy.
Old 06-07-21, 05:16 AM
Fatburner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
DT Swiss has a great reputation and track record. So does Mavic but I've read complaints of the quality being spotty...likely due to poor QC and manufacturing standards.
I ride Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels which I've used every day since I bought them in 2001 or so. I've never had a problem with them. I am a 'light' rider, meaning I don't ride the bike like it is a bulldozer and I'm a bit over 160lbs but still the wheels have been flawless. I've had to adjust the tension on a couple of rear spokes once or twice over their life and never the front wheel...luck and riding style.
I've recently bought a new wheelset...2019 Mavic Aksium rear wheel and Ksyrium front...great price and couldn't say no...for an inexpensive rear compared to my 20 year old Ksyrium it is a good match and works great.
Just know what the condition of the wheels before buying and make sure you have a good return policy.
thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 06-07-21, 05:45 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes

Exactly right. I do a lot of wheel repairs for three different bike shops and numerous individuals, and I always try to steer people towards wheels that use standard vendor components (spokes and nipples) because proprietary stuff is just stoopid expensive, and the wait time to get them can be long if they are even available at all.
Not to mention specialized tools necessary to do the repairs.
Likes For Dan Burkhart: