Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Any Seattle folks doing the Chilly Hilly, aug. 1?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-21, 09:28 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts

Even though I've barely ridden this summer, I registered. Not sure which vintage rig yet, several choices that have ridden those roads under their previous owners...

In spite of living in the PNW for more than a decade, I've only ridden outside of Tacoma a few times and have only driven parts of Bainbridge a couple times (once to buy a bike I might ride). I've been on the peninsula enough to know what's in store. I really want to see more of these iconic views that it seems are everywhere out here, I just haven't gone out to them.
Old 07-15-21, 10:37 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
I’ve always avoided it when it was the “start of the cycling season” ride at the end of February. Some seriously clueless people on bikes show up (and stop in some truly strange and dangerous places!), exacerbated by not riding for months. This time of year, and the much greater popularity of cycling during the pandemic, might be better.

It can be a motivation to try riding in new places. There are MANY route guides out there for the PNW area, and plenty of great, quiet roads. Bainbridge Island has some of those, but the hills on the west side of Puget sound can be seriously steep and frequent, as you’ve probably figured out. Wife (my major cycling buddy) and I have a lovely route we use to Poulsbo with quite moderate hills.

These days she and other cycling buddies tend to avoid the big organized rides, so no, I won’t be there.
Old 07-16-21, 07:12 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
I’ve always avoided it when it was the “start of the cycling season” ride at the end of February. Some seriously clueless people on bikes show up (and stop in some truly strange and dangerous places!), exacerbated by not riding for months. This time of year, and the much greater popularity of cycling during the pandemic, might be better....

These days she and other cycling buddies tend to avoid the big organized rides, so no, I won’t be there.
About once a decade is all the more I can stomach the big group events like this.... and it's been nearly 20 since my last. I always wanted to do STP, but hate getting into paceline situations. My hope for this ride is the topography will thin out the riders a bit.

I'm guessing the roads are about as rough as they are everywhere else, considering riding a 650b conversion (or maybe doing another quick conversion on the Laing)