Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

S-A RS-RF3 Stuck in Low Gear

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-21, 03:02 PM
bajajoaquin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

The title isn’t quite right. It’s not stuck exactly, but I can’t shift out of first gear using the shifter.

this is a RS-RF3 on my daughter’s Early Rider 20” bike. It shifted fine a few days ago, but when we went for a ride today, she only had first gear.

The issue is that at full slack cable (3rd gear) the fulcrum lever pulley is rotated fully counter clockwise. This means that when you tighten the cable to go to first, it is already rotated
past that. It’s like the pulley is twisted too far.

I’ve managed to get my SA 8-speed going properly so this isn’t my first IGH, but I feel like I’m missing something
Old 08-07-21, 04:58 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Your answer may be within this document. under installation. https://www.sturmey-archer.com/files...EED%20HUBS.pdf
Old 08-07-21, 05:08 PM
bajajoaquin

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I have that, thanks.
Old 08-09-21, 03:30 PM
bajajoaquin

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
The issue seems like it is an internal problem that may require replacement. In the instructions, you put the cable on by rotating the shifter thingie (fulcrum lever pulley) counter clockwise. This tensions the shifter against the cable which shifts from first to third by releasing tension.

This is the issue I’m in. The fulcrum lever pulley is already fully rotated counter clockwise so there’s nowhere for it to go.

The only thing I can see is that the protrusions of the shift actuator may not be in the correct position. I’ve moved them around to match the drawing, but it’s not clear at all how to get the pulley set to follow the instructions.

Until I pulled the wheel off to “fix” this, the wheel had never been off the bike since it was originally set up and operating properly. Im not sure if I’m missing something, or if something is broken internally or a third option that I don’t see.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 08-09-21, 07:56 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
I have only dealt with one of these, and that was a while ago. If I remember right, the shift spring is in the fulcrum pulley, not in the hub, and should default to the third gear position.
It is possible the fulcrum pulley is jammed in the first gear position.
Old 08-10-21, 08:30 AM
bajajoaquin

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks. I’ll look at that.