Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Unknown Sturmey Archer cartridge

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-21, 08:35 AM
uberprutser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I took this cartridge out of a wheel at the scrapyard. It's different that what I know a S.A. should look like.
There was no date on the hub shell. But I would still like to know when it was made and if it will fit into my old Gazelle bicycle.
It looks newer, like a modern Taiwanese model but from what I have seem on the youtube it is different
I shot a video when I had a look inside last night. Have a look and perhaps enlighten me
Old 09-05-21, 09:13 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
You do have the modern version. This video demonstrates the design changes.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 09-05-21, 12:31 PM
uberprutser

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for demystifying that
Altough this cartridge is different than the SRF3.
Especially the design of the planetary cage is different. But it probably works the same.
Question: Would this cartridge work in an older hub shell? Or will the two ratchets inside the old hub be a problem?
Old 09-07-21, 06:25 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by uberprutser
Thanks for demystifying that
Altough this cartridge is different than the SRF3.
Especially the design of the planetary cage is different. But it probably works the same.
Question: Would this cartridge work in an older hub shell? Or will the two ratchets inside the old hub be a problem?
Yes, I went back and watched your video all the way through and realized the planet cage is a different design than I have seen before. Also, the keyed removeable sun gear is different, but everything would function the same.
It is unlikely that the mechanism would fit in a pre NIG hub shell as the older ones, at least some of them, had a protrusion inside the non drive side cap that was accommodated by a recess in the planet carrier. The modern design does not have this recess.
It would also depend on the location of the ratchets in the hub shell which need to align with the pawls..
Old 09-07-21, 12:43 PM
uberprutser

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I still need to overhaul the 3 speed hub in my old Gazelle, It should be easy to try out this n.i.g. cartridge.