Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I have never ridden a high end road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I have never ridden a high end road bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-23, 03:16 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked 4,876 Times in 3,019 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
STOP looking at everyone's high-end bikes, you don't need a high-end bike unless you are a professional racer, or don't mind wasting money, you are missing very little! Save yourself the money and stop worrying about it. Remember, it's about the engine not the bike. A good mid-level bike is around 98% of what a high-end bike will offer you, but you'll pay at least 100% more for the high-end bike, is a 2% or so improvement worth that much more money?

Your bike is a decent bike, not sure which Tricross it is, but even the low-end model was a decent bike. The average bike costs $900 these days, not sure how much yours was in 2010 but you know and you can go to inflationary calculator and figure out how much that bike would sell for today.

If you have the money, and are not being pressured by your peers, or us on this forum to get a new bike, your debts are all paid, and you think you need a reward for your years of long work service, then get a new bike, but you really don't need an $8,000 plus bike, unless you have so much money it doesn't matter.

One of things you might want to consider instead of the typical carbon fiber bike, is looking at titanium instead, it will last a lot longer than CF, and hold its value better if you think sometime down the road you might sell it. Or maybe ask yourself a question, are you still wanting to do road riding, or are you looking for a bit more adventure like touring the US, if the latter has crossed your mind, then look into getting a decent touring bike, and keep the Spec for road riding. Ask yourself some questions first before diving into getting a new bike.
Yeah we could all accept mediocrity in our hobbies. There are lots of things I don’t “need” but enjoy them a lot.

Any keen cyclist with enough disposable income is very likely to enjoy a high-end bike of their preference, whether carbon, Ti or steel.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-08-23, 03:27 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by genejockey
Hey, if somebody offered me the right high end bike for free, they could take my CF Canyon. You listening, Giovanni and Alex?

Yep, very classy. Not the sort of bike I would choose personally, but I can certainly see the attraction. I very much doubt a 2010 Tricross would evoke the same kind of feelings and emotion!
Old 09-08-23, 04:46 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Hey, if somebody offered me the right high end bike for free, they could take my CF Canyon. You listening, Giovanni and Alex?

That paint scheme really stands out. In fact, it makes that groupset appear super fugly. Chrome/silver would be so much better. Nostalgia at play here. Same colorway as on my 83 Centurion Turbo, even down to the chrome lug accents. What's old is new again and visa versa. I'll have to take a pic and post it.
Old 09-08-23, 06:47 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by seypat
That paint scheme really stands out. In fact, it makes that groupset appear super fugly. Chrome/silver would be so much better. Nostalgia at play here. Same colorway as on my 83 Centurion Turbo, even down to the chrome lug accents. What's old is new again and visa versa. I'll have to take a pic and post it.
Nah, I quite like the contrast of old and new here. Otherwise you might as well just buy a vintage bike or replica.
Old 09-08-23, 07:00 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10445 Post(s)
Liked 11,929 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Nah, I quite like the contrast of old and new here. Otherwise you might as well just buy a vintage bike or replica.
And you gotta love how clean the full internal cable routing is - provided somebody else did it for you!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-08-23, 08:24 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
What makes someone wanting to spend money on a high-bike a waste? What if that person recognizes and appreciates the subtle differences between a mid-level and high-end bike, and gets more enjoyment and motivation out of riding the high-end bike? Is value only determined by measurable performance differences?

How long does a CF bike last? I have 2 that are more than 20 years old and doing just fine. Unless they get significantly damaged somehow, I don’t see any reason why they won’t last another 20+ years.
I also have a mid 90s Colnago C40 that rides great, probably as good as when it was new.
The concerns with CF bikes are accidents and travel. Side impacts can damage the frame and reduce the structural integrity.
Likes For joesch:
Old 09-08-23, 09:01 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,066 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
I also have a mid 90s Colnago C40 that rides great, probably as good as when it was new.
The concerns with CF bikes are accidents and travel. Side impacts can damage the frame and reduce the structural integrity.
I've broken 3 steel frames and one aluminum frame. My carbon framed mountain bike hasn't broken yet. I'd like to try a new cf road bike, haven't had one yet.

Old 09-08-23, 09:04 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,066 Times in 4,483 Posts
A friend dropped her Team Machine cf bike and it landed on an electrical box which damaged the top tube. It made a sickening crunch sound. She rode it home and a shop repaired the frame and it looks great.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-08-23, 09:23 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
So...same as other materials. Both of the bikes I've broken were aluminum. Side impacts damaged the frames and reduced structural integrity.

This CF bike is old enough to drink. It's beaten up, and crashed pretty hard a few times (including one time that broke my collar bone). It's currently enjoying its second life as a singlespeed, and still gets ridden regularly...

The idea that CF bikes don't have a long life span, or are significantly more delicate than other materials, is just false. Your C40 is yet another example.
Old 09-08-23, 10:41 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Yeah we could all accept mediocrity in our hobbies. There are lots of things I don’t “need” but enjoy them a lot.

Any keen cyclist with enough disposable income is very likely to enjoy a high-end bike of their preference, whether carbon, Ti or steel.
I recommend the trifecta and they will all be winners in your stable.
You can find bargains on very nice super bikes that are not even classics yet.
Likes For joesch:
Old 09-08-23, 10:43 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

So...same as other materials. Both of the bikes I've broken were aluminum. Side impacts damaged the frames and reduced structural integrity.

This CF bike is old enough to drink. It's beaten up, and crashed pretty hard a few times (including one time that broke my collar bone). It's currently enjoying its second life as a singlespeed, and still gets ridden regularly...

The idea that CF bikes don't have a long life span, or are significantly more delicate than other materials, is just false. Your C40 is yet another example.
I suspect part of that - beyond the legend of asploding crabon - is that it's kind of all-or-nothing. Either it's fine, or it's broken. Metals dent, but CF basically is broken or not. When I was shooting bow'n'arrows we used to say that carbon arrows are either straight or broken, whereas aluminum could be bent and straightened if they're not kinked.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-08-23, 12:04 PM
joesch

I suspect part of that - beyond the legend of asploding crabon - is that it's kind of all-or-nothing. Either it's fine, or it's broken. Metals dent, but CF basically is broken or not. When I was shooting bow'n'arrows we used to say that carbon arrows are either straight or broken, whereas aluminum could be bent and straightened if they're not kinked.
Right on, never going to hear about "cold setting" a CF frame
Old 09-08-23, 01:27 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Carbon gets a bad rap. It's actually more repairable than alloy. There's a local carbon frame builder/repair shop here in Los Angeles and he does an amazing job fixing carbon frames that would otherwise be deemed a loss. I know another guy who knew nothing about carbon repair, but was able to fix his broken non-drive side chain stay after a serious crash. Sure alloy won't shatter like carbon, but once it's bent the structural integrity is done.
Old 09-08-23, 01:36 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
I don't think ease of repair has ever entered my decision making process for bikes.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-08-23, 01:49 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Every material has their pros and cons.
Old 09-08-23, 02:05 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 318 Posts
I've definitely "cold set" a carbon frame with 130mm dropouts to 134mm without consequence😁
Old 09-08-23, 03:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Or an aluminum one, for that matter.

Old 09-08-23, 04:56 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
What makes someone wanting to spend money on a high-bike a waste? What if that person recognizes and appreciates the subtle differences between a mid-level and high-end bike, and gets more enjoyment and motivation out of riding the high-end bike? Is value only determined by measurable performance differences?

How long does a CF bike last? I have 2 that are more than 20 years old and doing just fine. Unless they get significantly damaged somehow, I don’t see any reason why they won’t last another 20+ years.
It is a waste of money if a person doesn't have the engine, and if they don't have the money other than putting it on a credit card. Even Grant Petersen said that the custom built Rivendell they use to make was only 2% better than the factory made in Taiwan Atlantis was, and this is not a one off thing, it is typical of bikes. The only differences you will feel immediately is tube type, steel vs aluminum vs carbon fibre, vs titanium, and geometry. But within those subgroups your not going to feel any difference. There was a blind test (the testers painted both bikes white so you could not see which bike was which) done where they took a very high end custom made steel bike made by Tom Kellog, and compared it a mid level factory steel bike with similar geometry but using different brand of steel, and the riders, could not tell if they were on the custom bike or the factory bike.

It is a well known FACT that CF bikes if ridden a lot every day will last between 5 to 7 years, google it, CF bikes that are ridden an average amount will last 7 to 10 years, again google it, but a lot of people have several bikes and may ride one once a week and others during the other days of the week, those could last 20 years.

How Long Does A Carbon Bike Frame Last In Years? (Answered!) (bikefinest.com)

That is why professional race teams get rid of their frames after just a half of a season, if they haven't been crashed, and that swapping is with the bikes they race on which don't really see that many miles! Not talking about training miles, those miles are done on a different bike, I'm talking about actual racing miles which is between 1,200 to 1,500 miles a month, with a five month season and the racing bike getting swapped for a new one only two 1/2 months into the season, or with less than 4,500 miles on the bike. Why is that? Because they know enough about CF that they don't want to risk the wellbeing of a rider to continue to use that bike for an entire season; back in the days of steel bikes they could have a bike for as long as two seasons! Even after that they sold the bikes to the general public, now most racing bikes after their half season of use are shredded, Canyon takes their bikes back and has them ultrasound for defects, if none are found they are sold without a warranty. Not only that but CF is the only material that you must use a torque wrench to do anything on it, overtightening anything and it can crack or crush the CF.

How to Tell If Carbon Bike Frame is Cracked? [Answered 2022] - Cycling Revolution

This story on the website below is similar to what happened to an acquaintance of mine as well, he was going down the road with about 6 of us when for no known reason the bike, a almost new Trek Madone SL7, literally exploded underneath him, carbon fiber from the wheels, the frame, and the fork went everywhere, the damage was great it was never determined what failed first. My acquaintance was knocked unconscious and ended up in a coma for 9 days, he still can't recall to this day what happened, that was last year the accident occurred. We all heard the bike fail, a guy next to him just missed getting involved, said he heard a crack but couldn't determine afterwards what the crack sound was from. The road was a typical road, with no potholes in that section, did he hit something prior, a pothole? he says no, but something happened, it could have been a factory defect, but there was no way to prove what broke first.

Why Carbon Fiber Bikes Are Failing (outsideonline.com)

I also saw a guy that was riding towards me, I wasn't really paying too much attention since he was across the street when suddenly he veered off the road and into some bushes, I immediately headed to him and found out the bushes broke his fall and he was fine except for some minor scratches from the bushes, but his CF handlebar broke causing him to lose control.

EFBe Frame Test: how NOT to test a Bicycle (tomsarazac.com)

This is my last response on this, you can argue about it more if you like but I will not respond, this subject is very emotional to people and they very angry, so to prevent that I'm simply not going to respond. I gave a lot of websites, but I find that the vast majority of readers won't even read the stuff because they rather bury their head in the sand then to read well known facts, or at least get some education besides all one sided. Sort of like going to public school, and all they teach is evolution, yet as the years have gone by they are disproving a lot of the evolution theoretical claims, yet schools just keep going on and on with it, and don't even bother to bring in other theories as to what might have happened. A true science teacher will teach all the various theories concerning a subject, and let the students decide which appeals to their brain.

Cyclists falling victim to an undetected danger with their bikes | The West Australian

Old 09-08-23, 05:25 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

It is a waste of money if a person doesn't have the engine, and if they don't have the money other than putting it on a credit card. Even Grant Petersen said that the custom built Rivendell they use to make was only 2% better than the factory made in Taiwan Atlantis was, and this is not a one off thing, it is typical of bikes. The only differences you will feel immediately is tube type, steel vs aluminum vs carbon fibre, vs titanium, and geometry. But within those subgroups your not going to feel any difference. There was a blind test (the testers painted both bikes white so you could not see which bike was which) done where they took a very high end custom made steel bike made by Tom Kellog, and compared it a mid level factory steel bike with similar geometry but using different brand of steel, and the riders, could not tell if they were on the custom bike or the factory bike.
How many w/kg @ FTP do I need to have to qualify for a high-end bike? Or is it based on max power? If a high-end bike is able to get the best performance from a high-level racer, wouldn't that bike also be able to give this old, ex-racer my own best performance? If riding a high-end bike excites me, and encourages me to ride more, isn't that a good thing? I don't know what differences you're sensitive to or not, but there are definitely differences in my two CF road bikes that I can feel - stiffness and handling traits. I have an aluminum road bike, too.

It is a well known FACT that CF bikes if ridden a lot every day will last between 5 to 7 years, google it, CF bikes that are ridden an average amount will last 7 to 10 years, again google it, but a lot of people have several bikes and may ride one once a week and others during the other days of the week, those could last 20 years.

How Long Does A Carbon Bike Frame Last In Years? (Answered!) (bikefinest.com)

That is why professional race teams get rid of their frames after just a half of a season, if they haven't been crashed, and that swapping is with the bikes they race on which don't really see that many miles! Not talking about training miles, those miles are done on a different bike, I'm talking about actual racing miles which is between 1,200 to 1,500 miles a month, with a five month season and the racing bike getting swapped for a new one only two 1/2 months into the season, or with less than 4,500 miles on the bike. Why is that? Because they know enough about CF that they don't want to risk the wellbeing of a rider to continue to use that bike for an entire season; back in the days of steel bikes they could have a bike for as long as two seasons! Even after that they sold the bikes to the general public, now most racing bikes after their half season of use are shredded, Canyon takes their bikes back and has them ultrasound for defects, if none are found they are sold without a warranty. Not only that but CF is the only material that you must use a torque wrench to do anything on it, overtightening anything and it can crack or crush the CF.

How to Tell If Carbon Bike Frame is Cracked? [Answered 2022] - Cycling Revolution

This story on the website below is similar to what happened to an acquaintance of mine as well, he was going down the road with about 6 of us when for no known reason the bike, a almost new Trek Madone SL7, literally exploded underneath him, carbon fiber from the wheels, the frame, and the fork went everywhere, the damage was great it was never determined what failed first. My acquaintance was knocked unconscious and ended up in a coma for 9 days, he still can't recall to this day what happened, that was last year the accident occurred. We all heard the bike fail, a guy next to him just missed getting involved, said he heard a crack but couldn't determine afterwards what the crack sound was from. The road was a typical road, with no potholes in that section, did he hit something prior, a pothole? he says no, but something happened, it could have been a factory defect, but there was no way to prove what broke first.

Why Carbon Fiber Bikes Are Failing (outsideonline.com)

I also saw a guy that was riding towards me, I wasn't really paying too much attention since he was across the street when suddenly he veered off the road and into some bushes, I immediately headed to him and found out the bushes broke his fall and he was fine except for some minor scratches from the bushes, but his CF handlebar broke causing him to lose control.

EFBe Frame Test: how NOT to test a Bicycle (tomsarazac.com)

This is my last response on this, you can argue about it more if you like but I will not respond, this subject is very emotional to people and they very angry, so to prevent that I'm simply not going to respond. I gave a lot of websites, but I find that the vast majority of readers won't even read the stuff because they rather bury their head in the sand then to read well known facts, or at least get some education besides all one sided. Sort of like going to public school, and all they teach is evolution, yet as the years have gone by they are disproving a lot of the evolution theoretical claims, yet schools just keep going on and on with it, and don't even bother to bring in other theories as to what might have happened. A true science teacher will teach all the various theories concerning a subject, and let the students decide which appeals to their brain.

Cyclists falling victim to an undetected danger with their bikes | The West Australian

(78) Titanium Strength - YouTube
Here's a couple of things to consider...
- There is no perfect frame material
- All frame materials break...even titanium

CF bikes and bike parts have been around long enough that they aren't new and mysterious any more. It's a proven material for the application.

Those first two links are a joke. Mediocre AI.
Old 09-08-23, 05:49 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,847 Times in 835 Posts
Or an aluminum one, for that matter.
There is a certain repeat customer that likes to comb through the Pile of the Damned at the co-op and pick out frames for... experimentation. We have warned him that some frames were compromised or at risk of failure, which did not seem to deter him. It's now a situation where if a frame is deemed to be critically compromised, we will oftentimes deliberately destroy that frame to prevent reuse (and possible risk exposure). Such as stomping on aluminum frames to create 0 mm rear overlock, folding, twisting, sawing, spindling, mutilating, etc. And yet we've seen our friend take the resultant sculpture and ponder "could this be made into anything?"
Old 09-09-23, 08:33 AM
PeteHski

It is a well known FACT that CF bikes if ridden a lot every day will last between 5 to 7 years.
It’s written in caps so must be true 😂

”ridden a lot every day” is not very scientific and doesn’t really add credibility to this “FACT”.

Are all CF bikes exactly the same? Sounds very generic to me. Probably complete BS.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-09-23, 08:42 AM
PeteHski

I only read the first one and I totally agree. Low grade junk.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-09-23, 09:30 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

It is a well known FACT ...

​​​​​​​

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-09-23, 10:16 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
The writing is about 8th grade level, and some of the logic is astounding:

Also, carbon is lighter, rust-resistant, and durable (with proper maintenance), making the bikes costly.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-09-23, 01:43 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 980 Times in 651 Posts

The best american carbon bike made frame alongwith the GT LTS
Likes For georges1: