Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are Aerobikes worth it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are Aerobikes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-23, 02:34 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
FWIW the Aeroad I was thinking about is $3999. and weighs (according to Canyon) 17.2 lbs I assume w/o pedals It's 11 sp Ultegra mechanical and disc brakes. and the DT Swiss wheels are tubeless ready. I'm a tubeless advocate.
I would say no, not that the CF SL 8.0 Disc isn't good but if you are going to make that jump I would go integrated and electronic 12 speed. Yes $4K is one of the cheapest aero bikes you will find but at that point the $4500 Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8.0 w/ the included Rival AXS power meter would be my pick
Old 06-12-23, 04:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10445 Post(s)
Liked 11,927 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
I honestly used to think all the aero claims were nonsense.
I read that, and immediately thought, "...until, one time, at Band Camp..."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-12-23, 04:43 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
Here's my totally unscientific test results using a loop I've ridden well over 600 times. Non-aero carbon road bike VS full aero carbon road bike on deep wheels:

More details here - How much faster is an aero bike? The definitive guide!

The speed gains are real, but whether they are important is a whole other kettle of fish. I enjoy riding both of those bikes equally. 🙂

PS: Life is short, buy the damn bike!
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 06-12-23, 05:33 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Most of the drag comes from your body, not the bike....so if you want more aero/faster see if you can optimize your position.

I expect the difference with an aero road bike is very modest.

That said, life is short and YOLO so if it's your call....don't forget to post pics of the new bike if/when you get it!!
I agree with this post.

FWIW, I don't claim to be an expert, but I have two TT bikes and three road bikes. My very limited experience is that you can roughly mimic the geometry of a TT/aero bike by configuring a conventional road bike. Any speed difference would have to be objectively measured because they're just so close. Most of it comes down to feel.

Bolt on a set of aero bars and maybe a zero offset seat post, and you're mostly there. However, to my very limited knowledge, road bikes often have gearing options not available on a TT configuration. I imagine with the wide spread adaptation of electronic shifting, this may no longer be the case, but mechanical shifting you're often limited to just two gears on your chain ring. I have found this to be a distinct limitation in hilly terrain. When I enter a triathlon, the elevation range of the bike course dictates which bike I use. If it's hilly, I will just use a road bike with aero bars. Flatter terrain, I will take a TT bike, the primary advantage only being the ability to shift (when necessary) without coming out of an aero position.

But as others have said, your own physiology will also be a limiting factor. While I do have two TT bikes and aero bars on my road bikes, arthritis in my back and neck limit how flat I can get. I tend to ride much higher than what is optimal, staying on the aero bars more to rest the upper body than for any real aero advantage.
Old 06-12-23, 05:40 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
"Worth" is a funny word. My S1 was noticeably faster than my standard road bike... but only when it was "naked", in sprint tri mode, with no bottles (nor cages) and no saddle bag. Once it was loaded for actual use, if there was an advantage, I couldn't notice it.

My understanding is the newer ones are better at that part anyway.
Old 06-12-23, 06:01 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
.... But recently I've been quite taken by a Canyon Aeroad. I love the paint scheme and aesthetics are important to me. It's something I can easily afford. Disc brakes and 11 sp Ultegra mechanical with a nice set of wheels that are tubeless ready,. ....
I'm not an aerobike rider myself, but from your description it's unquestionably worth it.

You should buy this bike.
Old 06-12-23, 07:12 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
This is the bike I had in mind. https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...n-product-grid but, in the blue and white color scheme.
Old 06-12-23, 11:41 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 300 Posts
This is the bike I had in mind. https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...n-product-grid but, in the blue and white color scheme.
Very nice. If you're just throwing money around, I'll take a small frame in blue and white. TIA.
Old 06-13-23, 04:16 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by VegasJen
Very nice. If you're just throwing money around, I'll take a small frame in blue and white. TIA.
It's on it's way to your house. Well, as soon as I win Powerball.
Old 06-13-23, 06:36 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I just turned 70. At this age, lots of training and an aero bike will still leave you pitifully slow compared to younger riders. I have have two YOELEO R12 bikes with SRAM Force AXS 12 speed that are at least semi-aero. They're nice bikes, but I'd never be able to tell the difference in speed on the same route, merely due to different wind conditions each day.

If you're bike is setup with little saddle to bar drop, you're not going to be aero. I use 11.5cm saddle to bar drop, but I don't ride in the drops all the time to be aero and raise my low average speed. I ride in the Colorado mountains to enjoy the scenery while getting a good workout. I ride 45-55 mile routes with 3-5,000 feet of climbing, so my speeds will be low, compared to flatlander routes, that don't exist where I live.
Old 06-13-23, 09:44 AM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Here's my totally unscientific test results using a loop I've ridden well over 600 times. Non-aero carbon road bike VS full aero carbon road bike on deep wheels:

The speed gains are real, but whether they are important is a whole other kettle of fish. I enjoy riding both of those bikes equally. 🙂

I saw that test also when I was trying to see the difference in an aero frame. The problem with that test is that he's testing an aero "bike", not an aero "frame". The fast bike included deep wheels, narrow bars, probably hidden cables. So are we talking about aero bikes, or aero components. So sure, an aero bike is faster.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 06-13-23, 11:12 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Interesting, and based on my own tests, not at all surprising. Basically comparing a round-tubed bike with an aero bike. I've found a big difference between any of my round tubed bikes and a Canyon Endurace, which is definitely less aero than the Aeroad, but more aero than my other bikes - by over a minute over 25 miles. It makes me wonder how much more aerodynamic the Aeroad the OP is considering(with exposed cables/hoses) compared to the Endurace, and then how much improvement the completely hidden cable/hose routing gets you.

Old 06-13-23, 11:35 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked 4,876 Times in 3,019 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
I saw that test also when I was trying to see the difference in an aero frame. The problem with that test is that he's testing an aero "bike", not an aero "frame". The fast bike included deep wheels, narrow bars, probably hidden cables. So are we talking about aero bikes, or aero components. So sure, an aero bike is faster.
OP is thinking about buying a full aero bike, not just a frame.
Old 06-13-23, 01:21 PM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
OP is thinking about buying a full aero bike, not just a frame.
I didn't make my point clear. He asked if it was worth it. I wondered if modifying the present bike is a better value. Then again, I'm a huge proponent of N+1.
Old 06-13-23, 01:26 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
I've had two Aeroads (one cf slx and one cf sl)... very fun but no faster at 22-28mph over various rolling Strava segments vs my 2015 S-Works Roubaix with 50mm Hunts (40mm bars, 10cm drop, same aero helmet and apparel choices, etc). All that to say an alternative could be to spend $3k less and put 50mm hoops on your CAAD12. Aeroads are nice looking - no question there! Btw, if you are capable of 500w + you'll like the extra stiffness of the slx lay-up - otherwise they felt indistinguishable.
Old 06-13-23, 02:10 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I just turned 70. At this age, lots of training and an aero bike will still leave you pitifully slow compared to younger riders. I have have two YOELEO R12 bikes with SRAM Force AXS 12 speed that are at least semi-aero. They're nice bikes, but I'd never be able to tell the difference in speed on the same route, merely due to different wind conditions each day.

If you're bike is setup with little saddle to bar drop, you're not going to be aero. I use 11.5cm saddle to bar drop, but I don't ride in the drops all the time to be aero and raise my low average speed. I ride in the Colorado mountains to enjoy the scenery while getting a good workout. I ride 45-55 mile routes with 3-5,000 feet of climbing, so my speeds will be low, compared to flatlander routes, that don't exist where I live.
Why two of the same bike?
Old 06-13-23, 02:29 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
Why two of the same bike?
I always keep two bikes running so I'll never be out of service due to a wreck or parts failure. In this case, the frames were a bargain at $1215, with seatpost and integrated bars and custom paint. One's red/black and one's pearl white. One has aero wheels. I've also owned two LOOK 585, two Colnago C-40, two Colnago C-RS and two identical Cinelli Superstar bikes. The most recent six were all new, but inexpensive frames. The Cinelli and Yoeleo frames are disc brake. No more rim brakes and skinny tires for me.
Old 06-13-23, 04:01 PM
tempocyclist

Originally Posted by genejockey
It makes me wonder how much more aerodynamic the Aeroad the OP is considering(with exposed cables/hoses) compared to the Endurace, and then how much improvement the completely hidden cable/hose routing gets you.
Apparently exposed cables and hoses cause far more drag than you'd think (or at least, that's what the triathlete / time trial crowd report from wind tunnel testing).
Old 06-13-23, 04:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Apparently exposed cables and hoses cause far more drag than you'd think (or at least, that's what the triathlete / time trial crowd report from wind tunnel testing).
Well, my two slowest bikes are the ones with non-aero brake levers. Then again, they also have 36 spoke wheels.

Old 06-13-23, 04:34 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
My question: is an aerobike really going to feel better or at least different, than a good road bike?
Typically, I'd guess the answer to this is that an aero bike (all else being somewhat equal) will not "feel better" than similar geo non-aero bike, but will feel "different". But I guess you have to define what feeling better means.
Old 06-13-23, 04:43 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Typically, I'd guess the answer to this is that an aero bike (all else being somewhat equal) will not "feel better" than similar geo non-aero bike, but will feel "different". But I guess you have to define what feeling better means.
A very good point.
Old 06-13-23, 05:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm not sure that's true. I know that for me, the bike that FEELS fastest IS fastest, and the one the FEELS slowest similarly IS slowest.

Mind you, I haven't done the test blinded - and by that I mean with my Garmin in my pocket so I can't see the speed, not with ME blinded. I'd run off the road!

Old 06-13-23, 06:22 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts

this is super interesting data - is your position on these two bikes the same? that's a very big difference for just the bike/frame/wheels! tempting!
Old 06-13-23, 06:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm not sure that's true. I know that for me, the bike that FEELS fastest IS fastest, and the one the FEELS slowest similarly IS slowest.

Mind you, I haven't done the test blinded - and by that I mean with my Garmin in my pocket so I can't see the speed, not with ME blinded. I'd run off the road!
Ok, so for you, to feel "better" is to feel faster? Somebody else might be referring to eg. comfort. Or stability. Or cornering ability. Or...?
Old 06-13-23, 07:24 PM
tempocyclist

Originally Posted by mschwett
this is super interesting data - is your position on these two bikes the same? that's a very big difference for just the bike/frame/wheels! tempting!

Position is probably not 100% identical, but they are as close as I can get them. Very, very similar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.