Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Van Cortland Park robberies

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-24, 01:13 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,090 Times in 1,183 Posts

Be careful riding the bike path in VCP, there have been 4 reported robberies recently of people using the bike path in the park. NYPD says travel in a group, not after dark and stay alert.
Old 01-08-24, 09:29 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I haven't been there in the last few years but I never gave it a thought to ride it. I was against paving it because it kept everybody away and only a few foolish people like myself would take a road bike through there.
Old 01-13-24, 09:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
These stories make me shudder. I work near Van Cortlandt Park but don't have much occasion to go there. Of course, every time I go, I have a really nice time, because it's so special.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-13-24, 10:40 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Just off the west side of the trail are 13 stone obelisks that are the “test” stones used by the builders of Grand Central Station, made of granite, marble and limestone, placed to determine which materiel weathered the best. Neat history,
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-19-24, 07:28 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Be careful riding the bike path in VCP, there have been 4 reported robberies recently of people using the bike path in the park. NYPD says travel in a group, not after dark and stay alert.
Can you provide source(s) / attribution for this?

I'm not questioning / challenging you, but source(s) would help inform me about the status.
Old 01-19-24, 09:28 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by arbee
Can you provide source(s) / attribution for this?

I'm not questioning / challenging you, but source(s) would help inform me about the status.
All you had to do was Google it. I have not read of anybody getting caught or of any follow ups after the initial NYPD alerts.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news...-in-the-bronx/
Old 01-20-24, 09:38 AM
Eyes Roll

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
Although I am not from NY and live in the Midwest, I ride my bikes on the trails during the day and at night, frequently. Usually, after it gets dark (around 6 p.m.), I am the only one traveling along the trails, either bike riding or running, and no other person in sight. I do see some runners on the trails when there is daylight though.

I am seriously thinking of ordering and carrying a pepper spray with me, when I am bike riding. https://pompepperspray.com/
Old 01-21-24, 09:51 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Eyes Roll
Although I am not from NY and live in the Midwest, I ride my bikes on the trails during the day and at night, frequently. Usually, after it gets dark (around 6 p.m.), I am the only one traveling along the trails, either bike riding or running, and no other person in sight. I do see some runners on the trails when there is daylight though.

I am seriously thinking of ordering and carrying a pepper spray with me, when I am bike riding. https://pompepperspray.com/
That's not quite like The Bronx although Van Cortlandt Park looks l like it could be located elsewhere in places.

It's usually more like this: (The Joker Stairs)
Old 02-05-24, 03:31 PM
mallomar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
One thing to note, NYC Parks is looking at increasing lighting in Van Cortlandt Park. Who knows timeline but when this goes in hopefully it should help.
Old 02-05-24, 03:52 PM
Samac

Bikes: ‘23 Salsa Cutthroat, ‘12 Cannondale Synapse, ‘09 Cannondale Rize, ‘00 Jamis Tangier, ‘87 Trek 1000

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Just off the west side of the trail are 13 stone obelisks that are the “test” stones used by the builders of Grand Central Station, made of granite, marble and limestone, placed to determine which materiel weathered the best. Neat history,
Looks like Test Stone Pillars have been restored. That is cool, I’d like to see them someday. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Scott