Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Overwhelmed with the options - help?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-10, 07:57 PM
bathedinshadow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi everybody. I've been reading through the forums and have found some information, but when it comes down to it, I'm just not well versed with the details yet. I'm looking to buy my first road bike since I was a teenager. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions.

About me:
- I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam and female.
- My main riding is mtb, and I've been riding my FS MTB as my only bike for some time. I'd like to get a road specific bike.
- For the lifetime of the bike I'll mostly be doing 2 hours at a time regularly.
- I am planning to train for a long distance ride (several full days of riding).

What I want/need:
- Something Light
- Climbs Well
- Fairly stable on the fast downhills
- Though I am planning the long ride, I'd rather buy something that was more designed for the 2 hour rides I'll be doing. However, I don't want to be miserable on my trip either.
- I have no need to ever put bags or anything on the bike as I'll have a support vehicle on the long ride.
- I'm a girl - looks matter.
- Though I come from a MTB background, I do plan on getting into road cycling and I'd rather buy a bike that is beyond my needs and grow into, than a bike that meets my needs now and just have to go get another one in a year.

I've been looking around at a lot of different bikes. I'm not really sure what I'm even looking for and perhaps the ones that have caught my attention are completely off the mark or not worth the money. I've never heard of the brand Kuota, but I definitely like the way they look. I know it's not all about that, but at this point, that is sort of my focus. I like the looks of the Giant TCR Advanced 3 as well. And then the Cannondale Synapse. What do you guys think about these bikes?

I'm hoping to stay around the 3k mark, but I definitely have the "over the top syndrome" and it gets the best of me sometimes. Any suggestions for a bike for me?

Thanks, I know this was wordy.
Old 04-01-10, 08:07 PM
seanthebear

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Bianchi mongrel

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought myself a Kuota Kharma for Xmas. As you know it looks great and it descends like a dream. The girl's model is selling very well too and several girls in my regular ride have one. I wouldn't sweat it too much; for 3K you're going to get a sweet bike that will do everything you require of it no matter what you buy.
Old 04-01-10, 08:14 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Kuota's good, not common, and you like it. Buy that one.
Old 04-01-10, 10:31 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I hate to say it but anything you like is going to be appropriate. Personally I think you need to ride whatever rigs you can get an opportunity to. Your tendancy form mtb riding is going to be to go for more of the "relaxed" geometry out there but being a woman - you just never know what's going to work well with your leg and torso dimensions until you ride it.

Don't be sold my women's specific geometry, etc.

Sounds corny but you'll know the right one when you throw a leg over it.

As an aside Giant and Cannondale are 2 of my favorite frame brands. You really can't go wrong with either as far as the frame and it's construction are concerned.

Stay away from Trek if you don't want to over pay for the value.

Old 04-02-10, 12:28 AM
bathedinshadow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the input so far!

I'm generally somebody who does a lot of research before making big purchases. Usually I have more of a knowledge base before going in, so I'm definitely feeling overwhelmed a bit. Road bikes are just so different from mtb's. As well, I'm sure anything would work for me NOW, but I'm really wanting something that will work for me 2 years from now too.

I do have long legs in proportion to my body, so I've been told that a women's specific bike is better. To be quite frank, I think they are often pretty ugly. haha. I don't want flowers or weird squiggles on my bike! I am putting looks behind function though, and if that's what ultimately works best... then hopefully the flowers are small.

Keep coming with the suggestions if you've got 'em.

Thanks again.
Old 04-02-10, 01:59 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I have long legs in proportion to my body as well (and I'm a guy) - I dont think that should be reason enough to stick with a WSD.

Basically, there are 2 options for you - a typical "race" oriented bike with a shorter headtube which places the bars lower, or a "distance/comfort" oriented bike with a taller headtube which lets you sit more upright... better for longer rides - eg the Synapse. And then there are the comfort-oriented race bikes (Cervelo RS, Ridley Excalibur, Look 566). Try them out for fit and see which feels comfier.

Unless you are racing, you'll find a taller headtube may be a better option (and also a better fit for your shorter torso/longer legs).

3k will get you a very good bike set up exactly the way you want.

V.
Old 04-02-10, 03:35 AM
bathedinshadow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks... I'll check out those bikes if I can find them at any of the LBS's. Since I come from MTB world, I'm not attached to any one brand of road bike, so I'm totally open. And I definitely don't prefer the women's bikes in terms of looks and I can't see any other reason why a women's bike would be better apart from the aforementioned long leg thing.

I do think a more comfortable ride would be my preference long term. Though I love to go fast, I mostly just want to push myself physically and I tend to ride alone.
Old 04-02-10, 03:59 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
kiss
Old 04-02-10, 07:27 AM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kuota Kharma is a pretty good option, Kuota america is based in Canada just in case.

Second option and only because I do have one also, BMC Road racer.
Old 04-02-10, 09:37 AM
ScrubJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I hate to say it but anything you like is going to be appropriate. Personally I think you need to ride whatever rigs you can get an opportunity to. Your tendancy form mtb riding is going to be to go for more of the "relaxed" geometry out there but being a woman - you just never know what's going to work well with your leg and torso dimensions until you ride it.

Don't be sold my women's specific geometry, etc.

As an aside Giant and Cannondale are 2 of my favorite frame brands. You really can't go wrong with either as far as the frame and it's construction are concerned.

Stay away from Trek if you don't want to over pay for the value.
I'd say +1 All of the bikes you are considering are good ones, find the one that you like best and go for it. Too bad you don't live down this way, my LBS has a complete line of Kuotas in as demo bikes.

I wouldn't be too surprised to the the WSD stuff disappear in a couple of more years.
Old 04-02-10, 09:43 AM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I mean the TCR is the obvious one to go with.
Old 04-02-10, 09:49 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
At a 30" inseam, you do NOT have long legs for your height. You will likely fit on a men's frame OK with possibly a shorter stem (partially due to being used to a MTB). Don't forget to take into account handlebar width. Women's specific bikes will come with more narrow handlebars than a similarly sized men's frame. If you do go with a men's frame, you may want to ask the shop to swap the handlebars to 38cm bars (depending on your shoulder width).
Old 04-02-10, 10:02 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
For more ideas you could always borrow a road bike and go on some group rides. https://ellevation.ca/ is a group of women riders in Vancouver.
Old 04-02-10, 06:59 PM
bathedinshadow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I feel like there are just so many bikes out there and I'm not leaning toward any of them strongly. I went to a shop today. I saw the cheaper Cannondale Six 5, which I really liked the look of. Not sure if the guy just was trying to make a sale, but he was definitely pushing me toward it - saying that at my size, I'm not going to put the same wear on a bike that he would.

I also like the Felt AR5.

Thanks for the link too, maybe I will check that out.
Old 04-02-10, 08:33 PM
bathedinshadow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh yes and in all fairness, I was rounding rather poorly with my measurements. haha. I measure at 5'5.75" and I had somebody else measure my inseam and it was 30.75"... so I'm not all legs, but I tend to have longer legs than any of my female friends. I don't think that sizing should be an issue. I just want to be on a bike that I'll be happy with for more than a year or two.
Old 04-02-10, 09:34 PM
EKCooper

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale Synapse 7 w/ Ultegra Upgrade

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScrubJ
I'd say +1 All of the bikes you are considering are good ones, find the one that you like best and go for it. Too bad you don't live down this way, my LBS has a complete line of Kuotas in as demo bikes.

I wouldn't be too surprised to the the WSD stuff disappear in a couple of more years.
I agree. Certainly nothing wrong with any of them and I think my Synapse is amazingly comfortable (and I have the alloy frame). +1 to ride a bunch and go with what feels the best. You can get a great bike for $3000. Actually, you can get a great bike for much less than that, certainly many that will help you do a century ride. Good luck!
Old 04-02-10, 09:44 PM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed with everything suggested. I have the 2009 Synapse and I'm building up a SuperSix. Two bikes for different purposes. I got the Synapse (their plush line) for long / casual rides and I'm getting the SuperSix (their elite line) to go fast. I'd make a clear distinction about what you want to do with the bike in those two categories. Then look at the bikes in the line your favorite manufacturer offers that meet your goal. Once you pick a lineup then it's about the components, imo. That should feed your analytical mind for awhile. GL
Old 04-03-10, 01:24 AM
bathedinshadow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah it was much easier picking my mtb. I knew I wanted a Santa Cruz. But with the road bikes, I have no specific draw to any one brand. Specialized doesn't interest me for some reason. As well, Trek doesn't pull me in.

I mostly want something that is fast since I would be doing 2-3 hour rides for the most part. While I am planning the long trip, I won't be making a habit of that so I don't really want to put money into some touring bike that I'd only use a few times.

Thanks for all replies and I'm think I'm pushing my topic here a bit, but I have a few bikes I'm considering. I was wondering what would be the best out of these for me, or perhaps I should stay away from some of them altogether:

Cannondale Synapse
Cannondale Six
Epic AR
Giant TCR Advanced 3
Kuota Kebel
Pinarello FP2 Ultegra (if I can find one in Van)
Argon 18 (not sure which model would suit me best)

What do you all think?
Old 04-03-10, 02:15 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by bathedinshadow
Yeah it was much easier picking my mtb. I knew I wanted a Santa Cruz.
Were it not for the fact that I have a nicely-blinged out Niner, I'd be all over a Tallboy myself. As is, I keep checking the CC website to see if they have one on sale (yeah right).

I mostly want something that is fast since I would be doing 2-3 hour rides for the most part. While I am planning the long trip, I won't be making a habit of that so I don't really want to put money into some touring bike that I'd only use a few times.
If the bike fits you, pretty much any $3k road bike will be fast enough so that you, as opposed to the bike, are the limiting factor. A lot depends on your core strength and flexibility - I am pretty flexible and am comfortable doing a 4-hour ride on a bike with a pretty large saddle to handlebar drop. Other people prefer a slightly more upright position for longer rides. That is what you need to figure out and that comes from trying the bikes and/or getting a fit done (for a $3k bike, this should be included).

Cannondale Synapse
Cannondale Six
Epic AR
Giant TCR Advanced 3
Kuota Kebel
Pinarello FP2 Ultegra (if I can find one in Van)
Argon 18 (not sure which model would suit me best)

What do you all think?
To be honest, this would be like me asking which of the following trail bikes is the best one for me:
- Niner RIP9
- Turner Sultan
- Salsa Big Mama
- Your choice of Ellsworth or Ventana models

Answer is - it is hard to say (although if you do know, let me know! ). Whichever one fits you best will be it. If they all fit pretty well, buy the one that looks nicest or is cheapest. Also check out some of the bikes on clearance at Competitive Cyclist - it may be worth paying for a fit and then getting a bike from them as they have some really sweet deals going on, especially on BMCs and older Ridleys (as do Excel Sports).

V.

Last edited by guadzilla; 04-03-10 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-03-10, 03:07 AM
bathedinshadow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah the Tallboy is nice. I haven't ridden on though. I have the carbon nomad and it's an extremely plush ride! No complaints there.

Originally Posted by vkalia

To be honest, this would be like me asking which of the following trail bikes is the best one for me:
- Niner RIP9
- Turner Sultan
- Salsa Big Mama
- Your choice of Ellsworth or Ventana models

Okay, I get your point with the comparison. haha. I think I just want to be told what to do (for once). How about more specific questions then. What do you think of the Cannondale Six frame in terms of quality? It's one of the cheaper bikes out of the bunch. Though I do have a 3k budget, if I can get what I need for less, then great! How about getting the 105's instead of Ultegra? Am I going to be wishing I got Ultegra instead?

What other components do you think I should focus on first for a new road biker. Keep in mind, I live on bikes as it is, so I think I will progress quickly.
Old 04-03-10, 03:37 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

I dont really know much about those specific bikes, to be honest. I know the C'dales have a very good reputation.

All the ones, 105 and above, do the trick - again, to use a MTB analogy, it would be like going with SLX instead of XT. Yeah, a bit heavier and not as bling, but functionally you are not really going to miss anything in real world use. So a 105-equipped bike will do the trick quite well.

However, for about the same price - maybe $100 more - you can land Rival, which I prefer over Ultegra (and is a no-contest over 105).

Personally, my suggestion for you would be this:
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...RODUCT.ID=6949
Great bike and components at a really good price.

Also, if you are taller, another option:
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...RODUCT.ID=6950

If you are very petite, this is a really good deal:
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...RODUCT.ID=6500

Then there are also the bikes for sale at Pedalforce and Neuvation, which get very good reviews here. For $2.1k, you can get an ultra-light, superbly-specced race bike albeit without any fancy brands.

If you decide to go the mail order route, I'd suggest paying $150-200 for a proper fit session, so that you can then buy the bike online accordingly. Competitive Cyclist also has a pretty good fit calculator online for you to try out.

V.

Last edited by guadzilla; 04-03-10 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-03-10, 08:08 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I hate to say it but anything you like is going to be appropriate. Personally I think you need to ride whatever rigs you can get an opportunity to...

Bingo. The differences between bikes is simply amazing, and the only way you'll know which one is best is to ride a bunch of them and see what you respond to. What is "best" is largely a matter of personal preference, so your research process should focus more on riding and less on analysis.

Since you come from an MTB background, you may initially prefer a more relaxed riding position. But as you put in more miles, that could change.
Old 04-03-10, 01:54 PM
bathedinshadow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay... well thanks for all the info. I'm a researcher by nature, so I doubt that will stop, but I suppose it's time to just start riding and PICK ONE. haha.

Thanks again for everybody's help and suggestions!
Old 04-03-10, 02:12 PM
agarose2000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Anything you like will work with a budget of $3k. Heck, a budget of $2k will still get you a pro-level competition bike.

But since you asked, and sound like you're going to do some serious riding in the future, I'd look for:
- Shimano ULTEGRA (better) or Shimano 105 (one level below) components (derailleurs/shifters).
- Carbon fiber frame. Not essential, and many like aluminum as much/better, but at the $2k+ price point, might as well go with what the pros use.
- Fit, fit, fit. Buy a bike that fits you well - if the LBS will discount a "pro bike fit", that will be one of your best investments.
- Looks. Buy a bike that you drool over. With your budget, you deserve to have a bike that you think looks amazing and wants you to ride it every time you see it.
Old 04-03-10, 03:09 PM
bathedinshadow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! And I think the Cervelo P2 is beautiful btw!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.