Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Protecting your hearing / Wearing Earplugs

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 08:21 PM
Drakonchik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
+1 Slipstreamz ear covers, esp. in cool weather.
Old 11-02-10, 03:15 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Deaf people ride bikes too.
Old 06-08-18, 12:07 PM
jamesflood1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To use a earplug is the best way to protect our hearing? Or We can use different hearing protection device to protect our ear?
Old 06-08-18, 03:08 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesflood1
To use a earplug is the best way to protect our hearing? Or We can use different hearing protection device to protect our ear?
You can make ear warmers, crochet or knit, that you attach to your helmet. Mine cut the roar of the wind by 80+% without plugging up my ear canals.
Old 06-08-18, 03:20 PM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
funny coincidence. I was in traffic today and some guy left his saxophone on the roof of his car. when I caught up to him, I kept honking my horn to get his attention. he never stopped, just drove right onto the entrance ramp of the freeway with that genuine King silver sax right on his roof.

I figured, that guy must be wearing earplugs or somethin' . ..
Old 06-08-18, 03:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I wonder if the earplugs for musicians would be a good solution. I like them onstage a lot. A real rest for my ears but I still hear the sound cleanly, not muffled.

Ben
Old 06-08-18, 04:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I had to work industrial jobs you are lucky to not have to.
Old 06-08-18, 04:33 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
BTW these: https://www.cat-ears.com/shop-cycling

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I had to work industrial jobs you are lucky to not have to.
Industrial jobs are probably almost as bad as working live band shows. 100-110+dB sustained for 3 hours in an arena is ridiculous and normal. The lows are so loud the cause your entire body to resonate, including your ears, so plugs and muffs only do so much good.
Old 06-08-18, 07:14 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Ear plugs increase noise, at a certain plateau. That's why they're no good in bed - all you hear is your own body, amplified..
Not that id use them in a car, anyway. If there's one time I want my hearing, it's when I'm in hazardous surroundings. No matter what my surroundings, I like to be fully in touch with them.

Except at work. I wear foam earplugs at work, and whilst I don't like wearing them on the bike, I do leave them in for the journey home in the winter - they work brilliantly to prevent biting cold windrush.
Old 06-08-18, 07:25 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by CritEastwood
earplugs would take away the extra set of eyes we all need out there in traffic on a bicycle
+ 1, There is absolutely no reason to wear earplugs while riding a bicycle... IMO... there is more of a down side to wearing one then an up-side...
Old 06-08-18, 09:02 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
The OP probably figured it out almost 8 years ago.

Zombie thread alert.
Old 06-09-18, 07:29 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I would never wear earplugs while riding... that not only in my opinion would be dangerous, but also takes away from the experience of riding. Cars these days are being made quieter and quieter, and if I forget to take a look in my mirror for a while I often don't realize one is behind me until they're just beginning to pass. Also having unblocked hearing helps you cue in to other potential hazards, such as a deer jumping out of the brush in front of you (happened to me recently) or another cyclist calling "on your left" or ringing his bell behind you on a path. And if you're riding with someone earplugs would make it hard to hold a conversation, and in a group ride you may not hear them call out hazards.
Old 06-09-18, 08:18 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
And a noob registers a 7 1/2 year bump. That's pretty impressive.
Old 06-09-18, 06:43 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Actually this is something I am interested in and I wasn't around here for the OP so don't mind raising it from the dead. In my case I believe the noise from tires (mainly) and exhausts (secondarily) is really making my tinnitus worse. I don't find wind noise that big an issue by comparison. I would really like to attenuate that tire noise. Where I ride there is typically steady traffic going past at 35-50 mph.

scott s.
Old 06-09-18, 09:33 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
A friend of mine just got these and said they really reduce the wind noise, without interfering with normal hearing. He was noticing ringing in his ears after a long ride in a strong wind on his e-bike.
Old 06-10-18, 03:12 PM
southpier

Originally Posted by scott967
…. noise from tires... .
in another thread, someone want to put the kibosh on flashing headlights. i'm hear (sic) to say, let's ban carbon fiber wheels!

9 times out of 10 I can tell when a bike has carbon fiber wheels before I see it.
Old 06-10-18, 03:16 PM
southpier

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
…. e-bike.
don't get me started on those death machines. people (most older from my experience) who have not the dexterity to ride slowly go flying by happy as newborn lambs. stop at the intersection? no way! i'm having to much fun on my e-bike to worry about the rules. wheee!

and the maroons who put up the bike path signs which read "No Motor Vehicles" let the e-bike with the electric motor use it, when the sign really means "no engines".

but I digress . . . huh?
Old 06-10-18, 03:44 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I use sound as an important part of riding my bike safely. I don't know, perhaps one could do without. Some cars are noisier than others.

I tend to move left to avoid shoulder debris when nobody is around, and then move right when a car comes up from behind. No mirror. The ears are my eyes in the back of the head.

Ideally one could design headphones that could amplify important noises and deaden unimportant noises, but one would still need the outer ear to aid with directionality.
Originally Posted by no motor?
Most of the serious motorcyclists I know wear ear earplugs when they ride,
Are those the ones that take the mufflers off their motorcycles.... then wear earplugs?

Many stock motorcycles are whisper quiet.
Old 06-11-18, 12:30 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Are those the ones that take the mufflers off their motorcycles.... then wear earplugs?

Many stock motorcycles are whisper quiet.
Motorcyclists (including me) wear ear plugs to protect from wind noise, not necessarily exhaust noise. At 60+ mph, it can be deafening.
Old 06-11-18, 10:59 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
Motorcyclists (including me) wear ear plugs to protect from wind noise, not necessarily exhaust noise. At 60+ mph, it can be deafening.
Exactly, plus the noise is fatiguing as well. The old guys who ride the motorcycles without exhaust usually don't ride far enough for that to matter, that's not part of their outside noisy inside empty lifestyle.
Old 06-12-18, 01:37 AM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JEngle1122
I am a musician and, to some extent, a recording engineer. Well, I have a bachelors degree in audio production, lets just put it that way. I don't know if that really makes me a recording engineer or not. So, I have developed an interest in and dedication to preserving my hearing.

And I have a question for you all. When I drive in my car, if I have the windows down, I always wear earplugs. Sometimes I wear earplugs even if the windows are up, just to give my ears a rest from road noise/engine noise/etc.

I'm not as gung-ho about earplugs as I used to be, but I want my ears to be safe and sometimes the world is just too noisy. Even if the sound levels are not actually dangerous, I find myself very annoyed when I walk along busy streets. I'm just sensitive to the racket.

Since I'm about to buy a bike, and I live in a fairly heavily populated area, I am wondering.... does anyone here think it is safe to wear earplugs while on a bike?

If you've never worn foam earplugs, like the kind I wear, they don't really deafen you, they just reduce the decibel level of everything that comes into your ear. So you can still hear everything, it's just softer. For example, you can carry on a normal conversation with someone in a quiet room with earplugs in. You just might have to listen a little more carefully.

I live a few blocks away from a big Ivy League university, and there are constantly college kids zipping around on bikes with earbuds in.... and that's got to impair their safety on the road much more than wearing earplugs would. Because you're adding lots of sound almost at the eardrum to drown out the sound of traffic.

I don't know. What do you think?

Thanks,
Jessica
A few points to consider. I am a professional audio engineer mixing live bands all the time, I am also a bass player having played in bands for many years. I used to wear custom made ear plugs when playing with bands, when I would be mixing bands and put them in when the music would be so loud, when riding my motorcycle, when riding my bicycle, when sleeping. Over time I lost my hearing in one ear. To test what this is like put your finger in one of your ears and imagine mixing and doing your job that requires listening, it's not easy!

What had happened was, over time of constantly putting ear plugs in my ears I kept packing the wax deeper and deeper into my ear eventually blocking my hearing. I went to the doctor and he flushed my ears out using a technique called ear lovage. The stuff that came out was incredible! My hearing was restored and better than I could ever remember it! I had them do my other ear and not quite as much but my hearing was much improved making my job of mixing of bands so much better again!

The doctor had said to only ever use a washcloth to clean my ears, no q-tips. What I do now is put my headphones on when the music is so loud with the volume sometimes off, it is not as good as the ear plugs but my hearing has remained good, now several years after this has happened. You really don't know how valuable your hearing is until it's gone!

With all this said, I never felt unsafe using ear plugs riding my motorcycle, bicycle, had problems hearing when I was playing in bands, and always slept like a baby while sleeping. I did not use them when I was getting the mix set, only after and if things were so loud. I did though wonder while sleeping if I would hear a fire alarm? I have since found out like the OP said about state laws.

I looked into that a bit and talking with a police officer found out ear pugs are illegal to use for riding a motorcycle, bicycle, car, etc. You are not allowed to have earbuds in both ears listening to music from a iPod or CD player. You are however allowed to use ONLY your phone for phone calls and THEN you can only have ONE ear bud in NOT both.

The officer said it would be hard to prove if you were using your phone and listening to a phone call or listening to music and would probably not stop someone to check it out. When comparing using ear plugs to a deaf person he said they have a condition that can't be helped, wearing ear plugs can be prevented. This is only my experience others could be different so take it for what it's worth (to you)? Good luck with mixing I like my job and when you like your job it's not like work!
Old 06-12-18, 02:11 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
To add to what some have said....I have been a motorcyclist and a cyclist for quite a few decades. I wear foam ear plugs on the moto for anything more than around town rides. I've never worn them on a bicycle. When you are riding 50-80 mph for extended periods of time the wind roar can be harmful despite a full-face helmet. On a bicycle at 10-20 mph there is no comparable wind roar. On the bicycle your sense of hearing is a valuable asset for safety. On a moto it's pretty much a non-factor at speed. That's been my experience.
Old 06-12-18, 10:09 AM
jamesflood1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing! But is there any earplugs category available such as motorcycle, industrial and so on? I want to know more about motorcycle earplugs.
Old 06-12-18, 11:25 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I liked the EAR brand for motorcycling, but the foam ones are really cheap and easy to try out. Hardware stores and the big box stores like Lowes usually have a selection of them.
Old 06-16-18, 09:21 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
BTW these: https://www.cat-ears.com/shop-cycling

Industrial jobs are probably almost as bad as working live band shows. 100-110+dB sustained for 3 hours in an arena is ridiculous and normal. The lows are so loud the cause your entire body to resonate, including your ears, so plugs and muffs only do so much good.
Working live band shows are probably almost as bad as working industrial jobs. The quietest area where I work is an average over 8 hours of 86 dB. The area I am in is average of 98 dB over 8 hours. We can't even hear each other talk in the offices and control rooms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.