Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Quad Lock for phone?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Quad Lock for phone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-22, 08:12 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Quad Lock for phone?

Thinking about one of these but have a question. I just got a new phone,Moto G, so it does not = any of the cases they offer. So I would need to use the adhesive mount directly to the phone. I do have a cheap case that fits tight. So I was thinking about adhering it to that or cut a circular hole in the case and mount directly to the phone.
Thoughts?
Old 02-13-22, 10:51 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Definitely glue the adapter to the case.
Old 02-17-22, 12:37 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

By chance does anyone need own one? Wondering how tall the mount is that attaches to the stem?
Old 02-17-22, 02:12 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Not sure I understand your question. FWIW, I have a quadlock mount and a matching case for S10. The mount is roughly 1 inch tall. The case adds probably something like 1/8". The universal (glued) adapter is probably is little thicker.

Just be careful the first few weeks as it is not impossible to think that your phone is secure when in fact the lock isn't fully engaged. You'll also probably have to fiddle a bit to install and remove your phone from the mount. Eventually it'll become second nature.
Likes For gauvins:
Old 02-17-22, 03:34 PM
Tandem Tom

You answered the question! Thanks!!
Old 02-17-22, 03:42 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I was riding behind someone last week and I watched his quad lock break off of the phone when hitting a minor pothole (I guess it was the glue on type?), and then the phone hitting the pavement at 30 mph (luckily his screen didn't break).

Just spend the $250 and get a Garmin 520 (or whatever) bike computer. The battery will last soooo much longer than the phone's, and the quadlock is built into the fuselage of the bike computer, so it will NEVER break off. And you won't be putting a bulky and fragile (it must be Italian) $800+ phone on your bars, that's hard to read in the sun.

Last edited by Riveting; 02-17-22 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-17-22, 08:11 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
I had a quadlock system on the stem on my last long tour (4500 km), in addition to my Garmin bike computer on an out front mount. It was absolutely brilliant for directions in and out of towns in Europe, where I had cell coverage and a local sim card. Roughly 10^23 times better than trying to do directions on any bike computer that has ever existed, or will ever exist. 98% of the time, the phone was off and doing nothing. I just found that without a stem mount for the phone, I was constantly having to stop for this or that to pull my phone out for one thing or another. Phone on stem meant a major point of friction just vanished. For me, anyway. All are welcome to ride how they see fit

I do hate how tall the quadlock stem mount is. The phone sits up super high, for no reason at all. I found it interfered with flipping the bike over onto the hoods and saddle even. I did have the quadlock case for my phone, not the stick-on socket. Very secure, never a thought of anything coming off.

Currently I use a garmin 1/4 turn stem mount, and a stick-on garmin cleat on a rugged case for the phone. Sits much lower, flush to the stem, which I prefer. As long as you use proper 3M VHB tape to stick the cleat on, it's extremely secure. VHB is amazing stuff, I think you'd have to soak it in acetone for days before it would think about coming off. In fact it's a colossal pain the butt to remove it - I tried to swap the plastic 1/4 turn mount to a new case and destroyed the plastic before the tape would release. I've used VHB for holding workpieces down in high speed CNC machining, and aerospace uses it to glue wings onto composite aircraft. Phone mount is NBD
Likes For fourfa:
Old 02-18-22, 07:44 AM
Tandem Tom

We have a Garmin and mounts on both bikes. I didn't know about the "stick on" mounts. Thanks!!!
Old 02-18-22, 07:46 AM
Tandem Tom

BTW,where did you get the Garmin mount?
Old 02-18-22, 09:32 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
How do you or can you mount these on handlebars where you have an Ortlieb handlebar bag attached with their standard mount ?
Old 02-18-22, 11:47 AM
fourfa

I've been using this with good success: https://komcycling.com/collections/g...inphoneadapter
Old 02-20-22, 11:23 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I've used a Garmin adapter for my phone, a Quadlock mount, and a Peak Design mount.

- Garmin adapters are OK, but take note: if you're using a 3rd-party mount, the quality of the plastic socket is very important. I've never had the adapter break, but I have broken a couple of those sockets.
- Never had any trouble with the Quad Lock. It's a quality product.
- The Peak Design is the best. Solid attachment, easy on/off, very low profile, very high quality construction.

You can get stick-on adapters for all of these, and they all use 3M "VHB" tape, which will not give out.

You may need to do a little hunting, but there are phone cases with attachment points for lanyards. I use one, with a short length of paracord tied around my handlebars (yes, it looks a little janky) and a tiny carabiner as backup phone retention. Make sure you get a case with a large smooth section in the center.
Old 03-29-22, 08:14 PM
Art Odd

Bikes: 2001 Cannondale R4000si

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fourfa
I've been using this with good success: https://komcycling.com/collections/g...inphoneadapter
Is that adapter intended to mate with these? https://komcycling.com/collections/g...t-disk-cm03-04

I could use this pair of parts as part of a custom design I have in mind.
Old 03-29-22, 08:35 PM
fourfa

Looks like it would work with that, or any Garmin style quarter-turn mount. I just use the rubber-band mounted one that came with the Garmin computer.
Old 03-30-22, 01:56 AM
bathedinshadow

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fourfa
I do hate how tall the quadlock stem mount is. The phone sits up super high, for no reason at all.
I use a quad lock on two of my bikes and I find the height IS necessary for a few reasons. First, you need to be able to get your fingers under there to release the lock. So there needs to be enough space for your fingers AND space to allow for the downward movement of the mechanism. I'd imagine they are also accommodating larger fingers or considering people that wear gloves (this is also use for motorcycles). The other reason I find the height useful is that I attach mine to the stem of my bike. Since the steerer and the handlebars a little bit higher than my stem... my phone wouldn't be able to lock down onto the quad lock if it wasn't high enough to allow for clearance. In fact, I have a bike that I can't put the quad lock on the stem because my steerer and handlebars too high compared to my stem. So I can't lock it down due to the lock not being tall enough. I usually just shove my phone in my pocket if I ride this bike.

So I do thing there is a practicality for this. Maybe it's not suiting to your personal needs, but there are tons of phone mounts out there that attach more closely to the bike. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-30-22, 01:59 AM
bathedinshadow

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I should add that I love the quad lock! If it's workable for your bike/phone, it's a solid purchase. I've bought a few locks for different bikes. And I use the quad lock phone case. So I can't speak to using any other method to attach. I'd be nervous with any kind of adhesive route, personally.
Old 03-30-22, 04:33 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've been using Quad Lock for maybe 25,000 to 35,000 Km with no issues with the 3M VHB mount. Been through 3 phones a few more cases. The only potential weak point I've seen is the O-rings used to secure the mount. Noticed a small nick on one ring and replace both with ones purchased at my local hardware store. When I replaced my S9 phone with a S21 it took a herculean effort to pry and peal the old mount off the old case. (No I did not reuse the mount.)

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 03-30-22, 06:55 PM
Tandem Tom

Thanks!
Old 04-25-22, 12:01 AM
tajimirich

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
i'm swearing off quad lock, my phone fell from its 'fall-proof' lock twice - first fall broken my screen, second fall and the thing got run over by a driver (with their wheel pointlessly in the dead middle of the road)

piece of shoot.