Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

'Make Way for the Bike Bus': bicycle riders organize into 'buses'

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-23, 05:05 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

Parents organize their kids to bicycle to school in pelotons for safety.
https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-start-a-bike-bus/
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/06/n...s-cycling.html (right click on URI, save, read local file)
https://www.montclairbikebus.org/
Old 06-09-23, 12:27 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,432 Posts
Interesting concept, and I see it as a nixed bag depending on the details.

On the bright side, it adds a measure of safety, and may be the closer for b parents on the fence about letting their child ride to school.

However, I wonder if it's another sign of helicopter parenting. These days, too many parents are u n willing to give their children any measure of independence. it may be genuine (though possibly misplaced) worry, or sometimes out of a sort of over pressure, where they sre afraid of being seen (or arrested) as neglectful.

My perspective may be different because, my siblings and I were raised to be independent and able to tske care of ourselves (a key concern since they lived through WWII)

One of the key benefits of riding my bike to school was the freedom from bus schedules. Riding in groups defeats that, and I'd probably rebel, meaning that once the adults were cool, I'd slip off and do my thing.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-09-23, 03:54 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
If kids are indeed going to be cycling across a town, far better to be in a "peloton" grouping with the chaperones, IMO. Bigger block of people, far easier to see, and (in the risky area of a roadway) about as safe as you're going to get. Lots of flags, lights, bright DayGlo gear, and plenty of visually-obvious "chaperone" cyclists surrounding the group.

Can't see this working with very young children that have little attention span and less appreciation for physics, but with kids above, say, 9yrs of age, it ought to work just fine. A bit of group practice at the school's playground and parking lot, a bit of practice on a little-used country road or two ... and they ought to be capable of cycling along safely enough in such a group on a normal roadway. Assuming the routes are well-chosen.

Hard to see how it'd work on many busier urban streets, at least the ill-designed ones in the USA that are all too frequently designed without any safety for non-cars in mind. But, elsewhere it could work well enough.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 06-12-23 at 12:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-18-23, 06:33 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
seems like an interesting idea. I wonder if her kid zipped in the tent feels different from the kids who riding in the rain on their bike?