Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Fastroad AR 2 2023 vs. 2024

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-23, 07:22 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts

Does anyone know what's going on with Giant's Fastroad AR?

As far as I know, the bike was released early in 2023 in most markets. In Korea the 2023 AR 2 features a 2x9 Sora drivetrain with an OEM 32-48 double crankset, while the bike I wanted, the Fastroad AR 1 is not available locally.

Still, I just saw a video on YouTube from the Philippines of a 2024 Fastroad AR 2 with a CUES 1x drivetrain with an FSA crankset, that would perfectly fit the bill for the TA bike with a 1x drivetrain that I want for fitness riding.

Does anyone know if Giant is planning to release a Fastroad AR 2 2023 model in February of 2023 and then follow up with a Fastroad AR 2 2024 model in late Summer?

I was really bummed that there was no Fastroad AR 1 in the Korean market--like the US market as well--but I would be genuinely interested in an AR 2 with 1x CUES, even if they do release an AR1 in Korea. They often do a beta release of bikes in the Australian market before a broader release, like the Toughroad.

My question is, has anyone seen that from Giant before? Launching one year model in February (2023 in this case), before launching another model of the same bike in Summer (2024 in this case)?
Old 06-27-23, 11:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
If the 2023 model is out that is it, no more models coming out for that year. Companies don't release 2 sets of single year models they do one usually in the year before and then that current year they would be doing the next model year.

I would hold out for the CUES model if I was stuck on Giant. CUES is likely to be way better than Sora still a low initial cost groupset but looks to be a bit higher quality and more modern.

I am surprised that you cannot get the AR1 there it seems odd but I don't know the Korean market so maybe that is common. I would ask your local dealer and see what they can get or see if it is possible to pre-order the 2024 model yet.
Old 06-28-23, 12:40 AM
PDKL45

Yeah, it's strange. There are videos from the Philippines showing the 2024 Fastroad AR 2 with 1x9 CUES, when the 2023 model was only released here in about February.

I will just wait for the CUES version, or the Deore/Deore XT Fastroad AR 1, if the Sora AR2 is the only version available in 2023, or look for something else.

The AR1 is only available in certain markets. The AR2 Sora is available in South Korea with the AR3 Claris, while the AR2 is the only version available in the US.

Giant are seemingly aware of the liking for dropbars in the US market, as was seen with the Toughroad and the dropbar Toughroad. For now the alloy 1x AR1 is only available in Australia and Iceland, as Giant have a thing about releasing all road bikes like the Toughroad in Australia first, to gauge consumer interest/do beta testing. Lots of companies actually do it now, as it's an English speaking population analogous to the US, but much smaller in size. You can drop software in Oz in the morning there, and iron out bugs all day, as new users report them, so that by the time the eastern seaboard of the US is waking up, your product is ready to roll. Bikes are similar I guess, but with a longer testing period.

Last edited by PDKL45; 06-28-23 at 12:45 AM.
Old 06-28-23, 12:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by PDKL45
Yeah, it's strange. There are videos from the Philippines showing the 2024 Fastroad AR 2 with 1x9 CUES, when the 2023 model was only released here in about February.

I will just wait for the CUES version, or the Deore/Deore XT Fastroad AR 1, if the Sora AR2 is the only version available in 2023, or look for something else.

The AR1 is only available in certain markets. The AR2 Sora is available in South Korea with the AR3 Claris, while the AR2 is the only version available in the US.

Giant are seemingly aware of the liking for dropbars in the US market, as was seen with the Toughroad and the dropbar Toughroad. For now the alloy 1x AR1 is only available in Australia and Iceland, as Giant have a thing about releasing all road bikes like the Toughroad in Australia first, to gauge consumer interest/do beta testing. Lots of companies actually do it now, as it's an English speaking population analogous to the US, but much smaller in size. You can drop software in Oz in the morning there, and iron out bugs all day, as new users report them, so that by the time the eastern seaboard of the US is waking up, your product is ready to roll. Bikes are similar I guess, but with a longer testing period.
The AR1 is available in the U.S. or at least it looks like it https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fa...dvanced-1-2023

I was surprised to see that the AR3 wasn't listed given Giant's penchant for really cheap bikes.

I would look for something else personally but like I said I am unsure of the market to recommend something.
Old 06-28-23, 03:50 PM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by veganbikes
The AR1 is available in the U.S. or at least it looks like it https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fa...dvanced-1-2023

I was surprised to see that the AR3 wasn't listed given Giant's penchant for really cheap bikes.

I would look for something else personally but like I said I am unsure of the market to recommend something.
That's the carbon version, I have been looking at the alloy frame with carbon fork Ar1 version, i.e. this one, largely for the 1x drivetrain it comes with and the thru-axles. I may go with something else, but I don't feel like buying a complete and then basically changing everything, with cheap OEM 2x cranksets etc. hanging around. Plenty of 2x bikes with QR dropouts available, but they're not really what I'm after right now.
Old 06-28-23, 04:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by PDKL45
That's the carbon version, I have been looking at the alloy frame with carbon fork Ar1 version, i.e. this one, largely for the 1x drivetrain it comes with and the thru-axles. I may go with something else, but I don't feel like buying a complete and then basically changing everything, with cheap OEM 2x cranksets etc. hanging around. Plenty of 2x bikes with QR dropouts available, but they're not really what I'm after right now.
Ahh I didn't realize the one was carbon. I am fine with the right 2x and cheap parts are not uncommon on most big manufacturers bikes unless you start going to the high end road or mountain stuff.
Old 06-28-23, 06:24 PM
PDKL45

Yeah, I'm fine with 2x myself, I just don't need to have to throw a Prowheel 2x crankset up on FB marketplace at the moment. I am doing a lot of fast fitness riding right now, early morning rides of 40-50 kms on a fairly flat bike path network. I am keen on 1x to get away from having to adjust a front derailleur on my 3x9 set up and TA wheels are readily available, as well as having slightly more lateral stiffness, so you don't have your discs singing in tight corners, although that's not really an issue for me. Kinda keen to be able to buy a single package and only make minimal changes.