Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New hybrids don’t come with 2x

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-23, 05:45 PM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

I notice the trend now, with the exception of road bikes , coming with a 1x system. This is especially noticeable with hybrid bikes.

I use hybrid bikes for exercise and always like to be at a cadence of around 80-85.

so 1x system isn’t ideal for that , because cassette have large jumps, how do I get around this ? My ideal bike would be 2x hybrid with shimano 105/ or something like GRX .. but they don’t exist anymore
Old 07-30-23, 07:26 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I think you could convert most common hybrids to a 2x or a 3x drivetrain. Most hybrids have round seat tubes that would handle a clamp-on derailleur. You'd need to figure out a front derailleur cable housing setup, but it wouldn't be insurmountable.

Having said that, the alternative that makes the most sense to be is buying a used hybrid -- one with the features you want. Or a used road or gravel bike with the drivetrain you like and convert it to a flat handlebar. If you go way back to the '90s, there are some very high quality steel hybrids that, with careful component selection if you're replacing some parts anyway, can weigh in the low- or mid-20 pound range (and ride really nicely, with their butted steel frame tubing).

If it must be new, here are a few hybrids that either come in a 2x drivetrain or could certainly be configured as such:

Breezer Radar

Surly Preamble

Last edited by hokiefyd; 07-30-23 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-31-23, 03:49 AM
poiuyt

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
it's a supposition, but it can also be temporary. Hybrids are a bit forgotten range (rarely sold at high prices), and there are now actually not a lot of available groupsets. Road group sets might be too "fast" for hybrids and are moving to electronic (with matching price points), gravel groupsets can technically be good candidates, but seem to be reserved to more higher segments of hybrids (and in 1x), trekking groupsets are out of fashion (3x), MTB groupsets are not suitable anymore (to small chainrings). Shimano has announced a new product line for hybrids and other categories (CUES), that has 2x options (48/31 and 46/30). I wouldn't be surprised that bike manufacturers are waiting for the availability of CUES to propose 2x hybrids.

Note that if Cube is available in your area, the Cube Nulane is only sold with 2x (GRX). And at entry level, there's also a series of hybrids that are still sold with 2x (Trek Dual Sport and FX, Giant Roam,...)
Old 08-24-23, 12:14 PM
Airwolf641

Bikes: Giant Cypress 2

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I just got a Giant Cypress 2, and it is a 1x drivetrain, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything as far as the gearing.
Likes For Airwolf641:
Old 08-24-23, 01:52 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
When my wife had a 3x hybrid, I'm pretty sure the only time it was in a different chainring was when I shifted it. I always put it back in the middle chainring when I was done working on the bike. Her new bike is 1x, and it's great for her. I think1x is probably good for most of the riding I do.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-25-23, 08:57 AM
JAJ0404

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Roubaix Comp 18

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
I notice the trend now, with the exception of road bikes , coming with a 1x system. This is especially noticeable with hybrid bikes.

I use hybrid bikes for exercise and always like to be at a cadence of around 80-85.

so 1x system isn’t ideal for that , because cassette have large jumps, how do I get around this ? My ideal bike would be 2x hybrid with shimano 105/ or something like GRX .. but they don’t exist anymore
Everyone has their own name for them now, so maybe we're not talking the same thing, but Specialized Sirrus and Trek FX models both still have 2X
Old 08-25-23, 11:04 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
I have one bike with a 1x ... 11 speed 10-42 with 40t chainring ... I like

another bike had 50-34 chainrings - changed to 46-34 and now use the big ring more ... use the 34t most of the time

surprisingly do use the big ring a fair amount on bike with 48-31 chainrings - but use the 31t most of the time ... actually initially planned to replace the 48t chainrings with a 46t - but the 46t chainring is slightly different so I shelved the idea

on bikes with triple crank with 44t and 42t big chainrings - use the big ring a fair amount ... still use the middle ring most of the time though
Old 08-25-23, 11:10 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
the one thing I miss with 1x you don’t get the ‘feeling’ you get when you shift into the big ring ...

more the mental thing - almost like a reward ... maybe on a return trip with descents after a significant amount of climbing on the initial part of a ride ... ...
Likes For t2p:
Old 08-25-23, 06:48 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 73 Posts
That feeling of the chain rolling onto the big ring is pretty much the only thing I miss about a 2x drivetrain!

Originally Posted by t2p
the one thing I miss with 1x you don’t get the ‘feeling’ you get when you shift into the big ring ...

more the mental thing - almost like a reward ... maybe on a return trip with descents after a significant amount of climbing on the initial part of a ride ... ...