Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2000 Raleigh Eclipse CX

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

2000 Raleigh Eclipse CX

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-23, 11:02 PM
SW84

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
I've been trying to adjust the cantilever brakes, but due to the fact that they don't have the small adjustment screws at the bottom like most do, it's been somewhat impossible. I ordered a set of Shimano BR-CT91 cantilevers and installed this evening. The screws allowed me to adjust them perfectly. The original brake levers on the handlebars had broken pieces so I've ordered a new set of Avid Speed Dials, which should arrive tomorrow.
Likes For SW84:
Old 10-19-23, 04:59 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by SW84
I've been trying to adjust the cantilever brakes, but due to the fact that they don't have the small adjustment screws at the bottom like most do, it's been somewhat impossible. I ordered a set of Shimano BR-CT91 cantilevers and installed this evening. The screws allowed me to adjust them perfectly. The original brake levers on the handlebars had broken pieces so I've ordered a new set of Avid Speed Dials, which should arrive tomorrow.
Suntour cantis used cone wrenches behind the caliper to adjust spring tension, sometimes only on one side. Newer cantis are much, much nicer to adjust however.

Speed Dials are optimized for long pull; I'd look into vintage or BMX for canti brake levers.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 10-19-23, 10:22 PM
SW84

Received the brake levers today and got them installed. Loved the two adjustments they provide. I also love the crossover carriers on the cantilever brakes. With the exception of a little surface rust removal, and paint touch up, it's basically done.

Side note:
I will say that I'm not a big fan of companies not including installation instructions with their products. It seems the thing they all are going to is requiring that we get on their website to see them. Neither Shimano or Avid (Sram) had documentation on my specific parts.

Last edited by SW84; 10-19-23 at 10:26 PM.
Likes For SW84:
Old 10-20-23, 03:35 PM
SW84

Thought I'd post a few pics showing the new brake system, new grips, and the new bottle carrier.

Likes For SW84:
Old 10-20-23, 04:42 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
nice work - lookin good !
Likes For t2p: