Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Advice on Raleigh Cottered Cranks

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10, 08:41 AM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

When I rebuilt my Raleigh Sports, I did everything except the bottom bracket. I can no longer avoid this onerous task, as it has developed an annoying squeak.
I attempted to remove the drive side cotter pin, following Sheldon's advice of 2 hard blows with a claw hammer. Since it is doubtful the pins had been removed in 40 years, this approach obviously failed. I am now going to have to drill it out.
Sheldon lists several alternatives to replacing the cotters. I really need to take it apart to get a better idea of the best approach. I am wondering what solutions other members have found. I have already modified the heck out of this bike, so keeping it original is not a concern. However, I have also sunk a lot of money in it. Any further investment will not ever be recouped.
Old 08-16-10, 08:55 AM
JJPistols
guy on a bike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Peddler on Duval and 51st can re-tap the threads and you can switch to a modern sealed unit with square taper cranks - they charged me around $50-60 for the whole job and BB - I had a crankset
Old 08-16-10, 09:28 AM
OLDYELLR
My bikes became Vintage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
https://bikesmithdesign.com/CotterPress/

Old 08-16-10, 09:42 AM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Did you bend the cotter pins? Most bike shops should be able to press them out for a couple of bucks, new pins (if needed) are a couple of bucks.

You can also use a mtn bike spindle in place of the cottered spindle and go to a three piece crank, reusing your original cups. I believe SB has more info on this approach.
Old 08-16-10, 09:44 AM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you all. That was the exact kind of information I was looking for.
I followed Sheldon's advise, step by step to the point of the cotter breaking off.
Old 08-16-10, 09:45 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
**edit** OFG beat me to it +1 on replacing the spindle.

Tapping the threads is a good option so is simply replacing the spindle with a square taper one. You'll need a 73mm spindle... pull out the cottered one, pop in the new one, put on your new crankset.
Old 08-16-10, 10:18 AM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have searched the internet for a 73mm spindle. Loose Screws has one but it is 125 mm long. This is way to long for my fixed gear.
Old 08-16-10, 10:24 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I found mine in a similar length on Amazon.com. Flipped around the wrong way it may give good enough chainline.
Old 08-16-10, 10:33 AM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I got one from the junk drawer at the LBS for a couple of bucks.
Old 08-16-10, 04:17 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
It sounds like you've already got the cotter pins out-

I went through that a few months ago in this thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?626894

I believe the applicable post is this-

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
OK, now after trying unsuccessfully to use several "pin" type punches and the C clamp and socket- I went on to the #3 step on the Sheldon Brown site... Drill.

So I get my metal drill bit- and start drilling away. After a while I think my bit gave it up. So I tried another hole, then tried the pin punch & C clamp thing. Still won't stay up straight...

At this point, I'm mad. I grab the screwdriver rod, vise grips and hammer and thwap the **** out of it like 5 times and the pin falls out. Finally.

So the other side... I set the socket on there, put the C clamp on and start tightening... It takes a bit of doing and the pin just pops right out.

For those of you playing along at home- do not use a hammer. Use a simple C clamp and a 15-16mm socket around the end of the pin that comes out.

Now for my next magical trick...
And:

the C clamp and 16mm socket. Use the fixed end of the clamp on the cotter head, and the spinny end of the clamp on the socket end.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-17-10, 06:48 AM
cold_surfer
way too many bikes

Bikes: 76 Raleigh mint 27, 72 Raleigh 27 fixed, Orbea Ashphalt, Jamis, Electra Rockabilly, (sold: Gary Fisher, Nashbar, Spinergy)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use the press tool to install. To remove, soak with deep creep for 2 days (lightly tap it from time to time), put the nut back on, back it off a few turns, and hammer out with a shot peen hammer. no success, heat up just the pin with a small torch, hammer again. if you've passed that stage and mushroomed the thing I'd go to a bike store and pay the piper -- chalk it up as a lessen learned. don't be surprised if the store won't work on it - if it's bungled up too much.

Re install options:

1. 26 TPI threaded cups - Sheldon Brown. then use the right sized bottom bracket. switch to square or start drive. expensive option.

2. get new bearings for .05 each, repack with synth grease - what I did. Used a park took - cotter pin press. LBS had pins for $1.50 I had bought $20 pins online (I think ebay) before that and I ended up liking the $10/pin units much better and used the hand press with them too.

3. search for this new option that people use with success: thread-less bottom bracket. You need to measure the opening first. It compression expands to seal against whatever threads are there and I think it's aluminum so it doesn't destroy the threads. The only thing about it I don't like is the concept of removal and re-install -- how many times can you do it and how adjustable is it?
Old 08-17-10, 08:40 AM
slims_s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've JUST finished removing some cottered cranks, with little effort and damage (using this method): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mybfNsm1XwM

Tried with the hammer/pipe "sheldon" method, result: I think one of the threaded ends is screwed.

Tried with the C-clamp/socket method, result: One broken C-clamp.

The vise/socket method worked almost effortlessly
Old 08-17-10, 10:07 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I may be the only one, but I think that a Raleigh Sports should have a cottered crank and that a cotterless crank on a Sports just looks wrong.

The press from Bikesmith Design is well worth the money. I have one and I don't have any bikes with cottered cranks at the moment.
Old 08-17-10, 10:21 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I may be the only one, but I think that a Raleigh Sports should have a cottered crank and that a cotterless crank on a Sports just looks wrong.

The press from Bikesmith Design is well worth the money. I have one and I don't have any bikes with cottered cranks at the moment.
No, you're not the only one, there's quite a few of us.

I've got by without the Bikesmith Design tool pretty well so far, using a small vise... but I mean to order one one of these days.
Old 08-17-10, 10:43 AM
velo-orange

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
+1 on the bikesmith cotter pin press. it's worth every penny. Saving time, aggravation, gnashed teeth, and hammer marks on frame ,crank and face.

Old 08-17-10, 01:58 PM
JJPistols
guy on a bike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Originally Posted by rhm
No, you're not the only one, there's quite a few of us.

I spend more time riding my bike than looking at it and the switch to a modern unit was a vast improvement in my case. Of course, my bike is just a Sprite.
Old 08-17-10, 02:37 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How many millions of these almost indestructible bikes did they make. I don't think the world will notice mine is missing.
Old 08-17-10, 04:19 PM
OLDYELLR
My bikes became Vintage

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JJPistols
I spend more time riding my bike than looking at it and the switch to a modern unit was a vast improvement in my case. Of course, my bike is just a Sprite.
Originally Posted by CardiacKid
How many millions of these almost indestructible bikes did they make. I don't think the world will notice mine is missing.
Yeah, if it's just a utility transportation bike, it's no big deal, but you could probably pick up another clunker for less than the price of a new spindle and cranks. However, if it were a classic lightweight, I would want to keep it original.
Old 08-18-10, 04:04 AM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I just bought one of those cotter removers from Bikesmith. It would have cost more to produce it on my own machines.
Old 08-18-10, 06:22 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
While you're at it, buy the best Raleigh cotter pins Mark has to offer when you buy the tool.

The cotters purchased by most shops today are of such horrid quality that you'll be banging your forehead against the wall as to why they flat out after 500 feet of riding. Doesn't matter whether you file them or not, buying the cheap cotters is the same as throwing your money away.

-Kurt

Old 08-18-10, 09:38 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
The cotters purchased by most shops today are of such horrid quality that you'll be banging your forehead against the wall as to why they flat out after 500 feet of riding. Doesn't matter whether you file them or not, buying the cheap cotters is the same as throwing your money away.

-Kurt
+1 on that. @190 pounds I can flat a cotter like its my job. There's nothing worse than getting everything all squared away with the cranks, heading out for the shakedown cruise and 3-4 miles later....click, click, click
Old 08-18-10, 09:44 AM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I get through with this project (which may never happen) it is only going to faintly resemble an English 3 speed.
Old 08-18-10, 01:49 PM
JJPistols
guy on a bike

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
+1 on that. @190 pounds I can flat a cotter like its my job. There's nothing worse than getting everything all squared away with the cranks, heading out for the shakedown cruise and 3-4 miles later....click, click, click

yeah but if it LOOKS right who cares if you can't ride it comfortably?
Old 08-18-10, 01:54 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
The cotters sold to me at the local shops start clanking before I'm at the end of the block. Mind you, they're the right size, I've tried them both filed and unfiled, confirmed that they seat right, and I've installed them with Mark Stonich's tool with light pressure, medium pressure, and quite a bit of pressure.

The result is always the same. I would have been better off flushing $5 down the toilet, or voting for Pat Buchanan in the 2000 election

-Kurt

P.S.: No political slant intended.

Old 08-18-10, 02:53 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Well, I like the Heron Chainring and the cottered cranks. I ride my bike to work, too, I don't just look at it. But as the OP points out, there are thousands of Raleighs out there, he's already modified his, and it's actually getting ridden, so good for him.

I would use some pentrating lubricant on the cotters. If the threaded end is bent, you may be able to straighten it with a channel locks, or it may snap off. I used a punch and a hammer the last time that happened to me.

Update us on what you do to upgrade the bike.