Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crankset, stripped pedal threads, looking to replace.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-23, 08:51 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

I have a 2019 Kona Rove ST that I bought new, and it has the stock "SRAM S350" crankset that came with it. Upon removing the pedals that have been on for years to try some new ones, it turns out the right side crank pedal threads are stripped. Stripped like, you can slide a pedal in and out--will not grip/tighten (I had installed a new set of pedals---all seemed good, but after about 5 min of riding the right pedal came loose, and now no pedal can be tightened in there. My guess is the previous pedal must have been in a little off. I noticed upon removing it some metal shards coming out).
Maybe this is repairable? I dunno how much can be done in a case like this. I'm fine w replacing the cranks, but I can't find the same "SRAM S350"(that's the only spec I have on it from Kona) crankset anywhere. There are some on eBay, but they're named a little differently(for ex. "GXP"), and I'm a bit of a noob with this stuff.
What specs should I be looking for in researching a replacement crankset for this bike?

Pretty sure this is it: https://www.sram.com/en/service/models/fc-s350-1-a1

https://archive.konaworld.com/archive/2019/rove_st.cfm

Here's one that looks similar on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/19492311385...640cb63b344011

Old 09-07-23, 09:27 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 1,031 Posts
You could repair it with a heli-coil. Or replace the arm.
Old 09-07-23, 10:47 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
GXP is a reference to the style of crank/bb interface. GXP is a through axle system with a built in spindle on the chainring side that's 24mm on the right side but 22mm on the left side. The crank probably also comes in DUB which is a 29.something diameter spindle. Suggests you'll need to know which standard your sram 350 crank is using. However, the kona specs say GXP for the BB, so yes, the GXP 350 crank in your ebay link will fit the bb standard the kone parts list claims the bike came with.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 09-08-23, 01:14 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
edit: oh a heli-coil. Ha, completely forgot those exist. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Likes For choddo:
Old 09-08-23, 10:01 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
edit: oh a heli-coil. Ha, completely forgot those exist. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Beware of the thread insert taps that incorporate a taper reamer to take the hole out to size - they're a pain to use and IME don't cut a clean properly sized thread. Maybe the set I had was a cheap knock-off, and there are good ones that work, IDK.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 09-08-23, 10:08 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Kona sent me a couple SRAM links that should work as this S350 was either an OEM spec piece only, or has been discontinued. But as they also suggest, I'm gonna take it down to my LBS and have them order something, just to make sure!
Likes For pbass:
Old 09-08-23, 10:47 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Thanks for all the replies. Kona sent me a couple SRAM links that should work as this S350 was either an OEM spec piece only, or has been discontinued. But as they also suggest, I'm gonna take it down to my LBS and have them order something, just to make sure!
Yeah wise. As long as it’s GXP, 1x ring, got the right number of teeth and crank length, there’s not much else to go wrong.
Old 09-08-23, 12:28 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,383 Times in 7,211 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
...it's repairable, especially given that it's the right side, which is RH threaded.

I would suggest asking the place you take it about either a threadsert repair, or an old standard spark plug helicoil, which are still available in RH threading (that is the same as pedal threading), if you look around. The old car guys use them (a lot). But most cities big enough to support a bike shop will have at least someone who can do threadsert crank repairs. When I worked at the co-op here, I did many of them. Got a couple of nice cranks that way, that were otherwise getting tossed.

Threadsert repair kit from Unior
Helicoil crank repair kit (cheaper...possibly a better repair)

If you start calling auto parts places, you want a helicoil in RH thread that is 9/16"x 20tpi. It's an obsolete standard for cars, but they are still around for obsolete car repairs.
Old 09-08-23, 12:33 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,383 Times in 7,211 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
Beware of the thread insert taps that incorporate a taper reamer to take the hole out to size - they're a pain to use and IME don't cut a clean properly sized thread. Maybe the set I had was a cheap knock-off, and there are good ones that work, IDK.
...they work OK, as long as you remove the crank arm from the bike, hold it flat in a bench vise, and make sure you are tapping your new hole at 90* to the arm. ( I use a small carpentry square to check as it starts to bite in.) Some cranks are more easily tapped by starting on the back side, which is usually pretty flat. The threadsert needs to be locked in with red Loctite. Helicoils are easier to use, if you have access to them.