Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pre-1973 Huffy/Faux Schwinn

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 06:31 PM
Patchupco

Bikes: Peugeot SS conversion, Nashbar SS 29er, Fuji Touring 3, Murray Sebring w/Ape Hangers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey y'all. Been doing some research on this bike I picked and was wondering if anyone can remember some of the pre-1973 Huffy Cruisers. I haven't been able to find any with this particular setup.

Someone definitely put a Schwinn Head-badge on it incorrectly but the fork also seems like a flat blade Schwinn. The rear wheel has a bendix red band hub. I called Huffy Customer Service and because this bike is only stamped on the Headtube, it's most likely an undated model prior to 1973.

I feel like this bike is an old Huffy and an equally old Schwinn put together and painted over but I'm prolly wrong so I'm all ears to what y'all might think.

Also, please post pics of any pre-1973 cruisers you may have because why not.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-17, 06:56 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
The only Schwinn part I see is the badge. The fork is definitely not Schwinn.
Old 10-02-17, 07:27 PM
Patchupco

Bikes: Peugeot SS conversion, Nashbar SS 29er, Fuji Touring 3, Murray Sebring w/Ape Hangers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metacortex
The only Schwinn part I see is the badge. The fork is definitely not Schwinn.
Preciate it, I can't find as much about older bikes as I thought I would through Google so thank you for your insight. Maybe it is all one crappy Huffy lol
Old 10-02-17, 08:42 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Someone might have put a different fork on a Schwinn frame, but a close look at the rear dropouts would tell the story. I suspect this one has the stays crimped to the flats instead of welded and smoothed--not Schwinnish.
Old 10-03-17, 11:51 AM
Patchupco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Someone might have put a different fork on a Schwinn frame, but a close look at the rear dropouts would tell the story. I suspect this one has the stays crimped to the flats instead of welded and smoothed--not Schwinnish.
Yep definitely crimped on the back. I guess it is just an old Huffy but part of me still wants to know which Huffy lol It'd be cool to find a picture of what this looked like new and what it's gonna be when I finish. Preciate your knowledge as well!
Old 10-03-17, 07:11 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
In the late fifties and early sixties, Huffy made several models copying the Schwinn cantilever frame after Schwinn's patent on the design expired. Huffy called these "Twin-Arch" frames. Models included Galaxie, Fury, Impala, Thunderbird, Rancho, and chrome plated Silver Jet.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 10-04-17, 02:03 AM
Patchupco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for these awesome catalog ads and insight into why the cantilever frame was made by a Huffy. Love learning these types of tidbits!