Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Resigned to just using tubes this year instead of going tubeless

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Resigned to just using tubes this year instead of going tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-23, 06:41 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Search yields ambiguous results, so I'll just ask:

Am I correct in assuming that switching to tubeless is moot unless both my rims and tires are made for tubeless use? The one "tubeless ready" bike in the family fleet does seem to have a different rim and tire design.
Old 04-10-23, 06:42 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Yeah, bikes hardly ridden are simpler with tubes since sealant dries up and it is easier to just pump up the tube and take off instead of having to refresh sealant. Here in Colorado, sealant dries quickly and when left uninflected, sealant seems to dry up even quicker. I am not a tubeless evangelical though I much prefer it. It is not for all road riders or even most. It is for me and most of my riding buddies but in the cycling club with usually 30-50 riders (and I rarely join groups) tubes are still more popular and probably should be for most. One reason (and TPU is likely a safer option than butyl) I switched initially was that I was doing a lot of riding near 10,000-12,000 ft. Those descents are fast and have no guardrails often. A quick puncture could send me off the side rolling down 100-500 ft. I figured a slow puncture would give me time to slow down and stop safely. I have seen what a butyl puncture can do to riders up there. That is why I started to research road tubeless initially. Burping is not an issue at road PSI for me. I even run my mtn bike tires at 20-22 and fat bike tires at 3-5 PSI and don't burp tires. There are ways to ensure this does not ever happen and I have been tubeless on MTBs for 20+ years. The Mavic UST systems was incredible but Stan's/NoTubes probably priced it out though wasn't as secure. I hope the tire selection for road hookless keeps increasing. I think like discs, road tubeless will gain traction each year. The keys are good tubeless tires and good sealant. I have tried most. Nothing currently beats Orange Seal.
Old 04-10-23, 07:32 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
But you have to carry a couple of tubes regardless. Kind of negates any advantage to running tubeless, especially at 65. a bottle for sealant.
I don't get this. Where do you ride that you need to carry two tubes? It would have to be somewhere really remote days from help or at least off road before I'd consider it a necessity. I've been running tubeless for a few years and never had a flat that the saelant didn't stop or at least slow down enough to ride home. Do for day rides I don't really see myself carrying a tube. I have done a couple coast to coast and other long tours, fot that I could maybe see it, but even there, when you are really off the beaten path pretty much every pickup truck is willing to stop and offer help and every farm or ranch has a compressor.
Plus that dried up crap you need to clean out.
On a bike that doesn't get ridden much that is probably a bigger issue, but for my daily ride the tires wear out before I'd worry about doing that.

That said, I was curious how much stuff there was in a tire and how hard it was to get it clean like new so I did cleaning one off and weighing it before and after cleaning. I found the the bulk of the latex could be scraped off with a metal scraper and the rest came off with one of those big rubber things that look like a giant eraser that are used for cleaning abrasive belts on woodworking equipment. A piece of medium to coarse sandpaper worked too, but you need to be very careful not to gouge into the rubber. I forget the weights, but I was surprised how little weight there was in latex after two years of riding and the tires were pretty much worn out by then any way. So I doubt I'll ever bother doing it again.
Old 04-10-23, 08:08 AM
IGotId

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Apologizing up front for the newbie questions; how much "maintenance" is involved with tubeless tires? A friend of mine says that sealant needs to be replaced every 6 months or so, another friend says not true. Which friend is correct lol?

I'm interested in giving them another shot despite some not so great experiences! I ran tubeless for several months last year & the experience was not fun as I had flats twice while riding (walked 5 miles back to my car after one of the flats). I suspect it was installer error but not sure (I had them installed at REI).
Old 04-10-23, 08:21 AM
IGotId

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by IGotId
Apologizing up front for the newbie questions; how much "maintenance" is involved with tubeless tires? A friend of mine says that sealant needs to be replaced every 6 months or so, another friend says not true. Which friend is correct lol?

I'm interested in giving them another shot despite some not so great experiences! I ran tubeless for several months last year & the experience was not fun as I had flats twice while riding (walked 5 miles back to my car after one of the flats). I suspect it was installer error but not sure (I had them installed at REI).
Also, I don't ride much in the winter (below 60 degrees in general); should that play a role in decision-making?
Old 04-10-23, 08:31 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts

Also, I don't ride much in the winter (below 60 degrees in general); should that play a role in decision-making?
google is your friend.
Old 04-10-23, 09:04 AM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts

I've never heard of replacing sealant. I top mine off every 6 weeks or so. Some will be lost to punctures, but it also dries out . I've never extracted old sealant. I just add more. I wear out rear tires about every 4 months and a front about once a year, so I don't go years at a time without starting fresh.

I use a little wire as a dipstick to check my sealant levels. I remove the valve core and rotate the wheel with the stem at the bottom and give the sealant a few minutes to settle. Then use the dipstick to make sure I have sealant in there. I almost always add a little while I have it opened up. How much just depends on how low the level was.

Like many maintenance tasks, it seems like more effort than it is the first few times until you get used to it. Is tubeless more than tubed? Probably, but I'd much rather spend a few more minutes in the shop every month or two, then be dealing with flats on the side of the road.

I ride year-round, and don't vary how I use tubeless. And if you ride above 60 F most of the time, I would think that would be ideal temperatures for just about anything. Of course, if you also ride in 100 F temps, I would expect the sealant may dry out faster.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 04-10-23, 09:14 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
You do have to top-off sealant. No way around that. The question is- how long a duration? That depends on where you live and MAYBE how porous your tires are. Here in Colorado, I top off every three months but it is extremely dry here. I do not check it but I have been doing this since 2004, and I know that 3 months is a safe option. I have opened up over a hundred tires and seen which sealant lasts how long over the years. If I went 6 months here (and I have a couple of times) the sealant is completely dry. In humid areas, I'd guess you could go 3-4 if you put enough in to begin with. I also find that sealant dries faster if you let the tire stay with very low air pressure. I suspect that causes a tiny bit of air seepage from the beads.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 04-10-23, 09:33 AM
IGotId

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
I've never heard of replacing sealant.
I suspected that was OTT; thanks!

Originally Posted by Chandne
You do have to top-off sealant. No way around that. The question is- how long a duration? That depends on where you live and MAYBE how porous your tires are. Here in Colorado, I top off every three months but it is extremely dry here. I do not check it but I have been doing this since 2004, and I know that 3 months is a safe option. I have opened up over a hundred tires and seen which sealant lasts how long over the years. If I went 6 months here (and I have a couple of times) the sealant is completely dry. In humid areas, I'd guess you could go 3-4 if you put enough in to begin with. I also find that sealant dries faster if you let the tire stay with very low air pressure. I suspect that causes a tiny bit of air seepage from the beads.
Thanks for the info
Old 04-10-23, 09:33 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
30psi in a car tire is very high. Most run in the mid-high 20 something psi. If you use goop sealant at those pressures it actually works. That's why the MTB riders are on the fence but the roadies are all crawling back to tubes. At 100psi the Stan's just doesn't have a chance….and car tires are incredibly expensive at $45/ea. so drivers run them until the Les Schwab tech refuses to repair them.
I dunno about “most cars,” but I’ve not had a car that was spec’d at mid-20s psi since…I dunno…the bias-ply era?! I joke, but seriously, the factory specs on my Alfa Giulia sedan’s rear 245/35r19s call for 42psi, and my wife’s little Ford Transit Connect passenger van is spec’d at 44/49psi on 17” wheels, so yeah, I dunno if most are 20-something psi, but I’ve maybe never seen it in the 30 something different cars I’ve had over the decades.

That said, I’ve never had a $45 car tire either. Those Giulia Pirelli P7s I’m lucky to get for under $350 apiece, and the Michelin CrossClimate2 for the Transit were $202 apiece last replacing, replacing $83 Kumho Ectsa 4X IIs that were pretty rubbish.

Current Michelin Power Cup TLRs for the bike were $75 apiece, which I thought wasn’t bad…

Anyway, running sealant in car tires as a prophylactic isn’t a thing; it’s usually added after the puncture has happened, so the dynamics are very different to bicycle tires and sealant, but as someone who has used Stan’s at 100psi over the years, believe me, regular Stan’s does work. Stan’s Race is even better.

That’s not to say every Stan’s formulation works on every size and type of cut and puncture, but it will definitely seal— without need to even stop riding— some punctures which otherwise would totally flat a tube.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-10-23, 09:36 AM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Concerning how often you need to top of sealant, I certainly cannot go 3 months at a time. FYI, I live in Albuquerque NM.

But one thing I know affects my tires is the more punctures I get the more often I need to top off. I'm not talking about the sealant needed to replace what came out at the time the puncture happened. Rather some clear, thin, oily liquid starts to weep out where I've had punctures months earlier. Not the thick, milky sealant, it looks more like water or oil.

Usually I wear out a rear tire before this happens much. I probably get a small puncture every other ride from goat heads. So, after a year, I'll probably have had 100 small punctures that have sealed in my front tire. What I start to see is weeping of the sealant. My belief is these are extremely small holes. Too small for the latex to enter and plug, but rather some oily sealant carrier is getting through. Maybe even something that gets forced through the latex that original plugged the hole.

Regardless, whatever it is, it is coming from the sealant, and once I start to to see a lot of these weeping spots, I seem to have to add sealant more often.
Old 04-10-23, 10:18 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've gone back to buying and riding my tubes tubed. Tubulars. Tubes inside tubes. And back to the old ride - totally tubular (in the sense of the kids' "tubular" of a few years back). The magic carpets. Hand made by artisans in some distant corner of the planet. (They are getting more modern. The hand stitching is still there but they no longer recruit silkworms for the casings.)

The Paris-Roubaix race just happened this morning. As usual flats were a deciding factor. And one chilling note early in the race. I was following on the written commentary of Cycing News. They mentioned a rider having his tubeless tire come off entirely. Did not say more about the outcome. But I had an old clincher tire come off a few years back and that was one of my top 5 crashes. Rear. First I was riding on "ice". Then the tire (rear) jammed in the seatstays; pitching me over the bars. At just over 20 mph. Tires coming off has been a nightmare for me since - preventing me from enjoying high speed descents and literally; waking me up more than a few times. The #1 driving force in my return to tubulars which I rode for 20 years. Last September, I loved the fast descents at Cycle Oregon with those tubulars. Down rough chip seal with cracks. Down roads I knew nothing about. On tires I could trust completely.
If your main concern is the tyre coming off, then simply glue a clincher tyre to a clincher rim. No need to go tubular for that.
Old 04-10-23, 10:26 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
... If tubeless tires were being ridden in the downtown areas they would flat every day just like any other tire of similar flimsy construction. ...
sorry, but no. most of my tubed flats (5 in 1,000 miles) were "in the downtown areas," where my tubeless setup on the same bike has been absolutely trouble free. road tubeless excels at sealing up the kind of little punctures that you get in urban riding from bits of glass and wire.

thousands of miles within the "downtown areas" on GP5000 and now GP5000 S TR tubeless, 28-32mm, 50-80psi. zero flats. the only flat free period i had with the exact same riding pattern was on gatorksins.
Old 04-10-23, 10:35 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
... 30psi in a car tire is very high.
... Most [car tires] run in the mid-high 20 something psi
... car tires are incredibly expensive at $45/ea
... at 20mph the aerodynamic drag on the rider/bike system is 99% of total drag
... They [tubeless] have no advantages anyone can actually use.
That's a lot of incorrect statements packed into one post.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-10-23, 10:52 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I ride tubed on my Trek Domane bike and tubeless on my Trek Checkpoint bike because that's the way bike came when I bough it. No flats on the endurance bike for three years with GG 4000 4Season tires. No flats with the tubeless Bontrager Team 1 Issue. So far so good. I don't like working with sealant, but I don't like fixing roadside flats either. I don't plan on changing either bike as long as I am having good luck with both.
Likes For jackb:
Old 04-10-23, 11:29 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That's a lot of incorrect statements packed into one post.
it was impressive.

Old 04-10-23, 12:38 PM
Koyote

The satisfied tubeless rider has good roads, with a minimum of flat hazards, and any tubed clincher would also do well there.
I think you've got this backwards: the satisfied tubeless rider has bad roads -- gravel roads, litter-strewn roads, roads with goathead thorns -- which offer many flat hazards that are usually easily handled by tubeless sealant, and which would result in frequent roadside repairs with tubed clinchers.
Old 04-10-23, 12:45 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
My mountain and gravel bikes are tubeless and I wouldn’t even consider running them with tubes. I carry plugs and CO2. I do bring an extra tube but I’ve never used it.

Most issues are with the valve sides. It’s rare but this is where I see leaks. The only other is that you have to ensure the rim and tube are clean with no goo-bers when mounting.

My road bike has tubeless compatible wheels and I have used them. I switched back. There was no weight savings, no discernible difference in rolling, and I don’t put a ton of miles on that bike, so I don’t like maintaining my goo for it.
Hmm that's interesting. When I switched from Mavic Ksyrium Elite clinchers to Mavis Ksyrium Elite USTs .I noticed more comfort, an increase in spin and significantly less weight.
Old 04-10-23, 01:42 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If you've not had to fix a flat during five years of riding tubeless, why are you still carrying a couple of tubes?.
Same reason I carry auto insurance when I haven’t been in an accident in 2 decades.

Seriously though, I now carry only 1 tube and some plugs. If I rip two tires that badly on the same ride, I’ll cut my losses and call for a ride.
Old 04-10-23, 02:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
same reason i carry auto insurance when i haven’t been in an accident in 2 decades.

Seriously though, i now carry only 1 tube and some plugs. If i rip two tires that badly on the same ride, i’ll cut my losses and call for a ride.
+1

Old 04-10-23, 02:33 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Hmm that's interesting. When I switched from Mavic Ksyrium Elite clinchers to Mavis Ksyrium Elite USTs .I noticed more comfort, an increase in spin and significantly less weight.
I had Schwalbe Pro One in 28mm. That’s 250g and I added 45mL of sealant. So that’s 295 per tire.

I switched to Grand Prix 4000 and race tubes, so 220+60, or 280 per tire.

Basically the same. That’s a 30g difference, or one ounce total. Both ride great.

Since I switched to mostly gravel and MTB, I don’t use the bike that often. In fact, I have been moving around as a travel nurse for a while now and haven’t even brought the road bike along. So yeah, tubeless is definitely not for that bike. But yeah, my gravel and MTB are never going to see tubes.
Old 04-10-23, 02:53 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
The satisfied tubeless rider has good roads, with a minimum of flat hazards, and any tubed clincher would also do well there.
Nonsense. With tubed tires I'd average about 1 flat per month. In 3 years of riding tubeless I've had zero flats (numerous punctures, but no flats).

The things I found embedded in a tubeless tire last time I took them off: a small nail, a small screw, a tiny wire (truck tire belt wire), and a paper clip. That would have been 4 flats with a tubed tire.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 04-10-23, 03:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Nonsense. With tubed tires I'd average about 1 flat per month. In 3 years of riding tubeless I've had zero flats (numerous punctures, but no flats).

The things I found embedded in a tubeless tire last time I took them off: a small nail, a small screw, a tiny wire (truck tire belt wire), and a paper clip. That would have been 4 flats with a tubed tire.
Is this where someone argues that it would have been only one flat with tubed, because you probably picked up all those objects at the same time?
Old 04-10-23, 03:30 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Koyote
If you've not had to fix a flat during five years of riding tubeless, why are you still carrying a couple of tubes?
Same reason I carry auto insurance when I haven’t been in an accident in 2 decades.
I understand your point, but the analogy doesn't hold up. Driving while uninsured is illegal in 49 states, and the economic consequences of uninsured driving are a little more serious than being stuck with a flat tire.

​​​​​​
Seriously though, I now carry only 1 tube and some plugs. If I rip two tires that badly on the same ride, I’ll cut my losses and call for a ride.
Get these! Cost almost nothing, weigh almost nothing, and they last pretty much forever. I always carry a couple in my saddlebag.
Old 04-10-23, 03:30 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I disagree that tubeless is better for preventing flats...if you're getting a lot of flats with regular tubed tires it's because your tires are crap and lack puncture protection.
Likes For wolfchild:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.