Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Resigned to just using tubes this year instead of going tubeless

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Resigned to just using tubes this year instead of going tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-23, 08:40 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Pointless debate, since every person has their own interpretation of what good or bad ride quality means to them as an individual. I've tested many different brands of tires over the years and never came across a good quality tire which rides like a garden hose.
So have you ever tried a GP5000 or equivalent tire in tubeless or with a latex tube?
Old 04-14-23, 07:26 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
So have you ever tried a GP5000 or equivalent tire in tubeless or with a latex tube?
You're not allowed to have an opinion here unless you've tried every iteration of every single component or bike ever sold in the history of cycling.
Old 04-14-23, 08:44 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
You're not allowed to have an opinion here unless you've tried every iteration of every single component or bike ever sold in the history of cycling.
It is useful to know what someone has for their frame of reference. For example yes it is relevent whether they have ever ridden on a responsive setup. It is also relevent if they think something like the ultimate garden hose tire (Marathon Plus) rides just fine. They are entitled to have an opinion in any case, but it is helpful to calibrate that opinion.

Personally I think we ought to be able to at least agree what the extremes are. The Plus and a nice racing tubeless are pretty much polar opposites. You can like or dislike either, but it is hard to deny what they are. With the more middle of the road tires it gets muddy especially when the intended usage puts particular demands on the tire.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 04-14-23, 08:49 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
That's a straw man argument. Here is what excrux actually asked:

Originally Posted by elcruxio
If you can't tell the difference, then I can't help you.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-14-23, 09:42 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Koyote
That's a straw man argument. Here is what excrux actually asked:

If you can't tell the difference, then I can't help you.
I was being facetious. And the last thing I need is any help from you (not being facetious).
Old 04-14-23, 09:48 AM
Koyote

I was being facetious. And the last thing I need is any help from you (not being facetious).
Oh, I think you do need help! You apparently don't understand that the aim of facetiousness is humor.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-14-23, 10:00 AM
smd4

Oh, I think you do need help! You apparently don't understand that the aim of facetiousness is humor.
Hey, some people have a sense of humor, and some don't! And if you don't...I can't help you.
Old 04-14-23, 10:42 AM
Koyote

Hey, some people have a sense of humor, and some don't! And if you don't...I can't help you.
So your response is essentially, I know you are, but what am I?

Oscar Wilde can rest easy.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-14-23, 10:48 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
I've tested many different brands of tires over the years and never came across a good quality tire which rides like a garden hose.
Is that a hot or cold garden hose? In my experience with garden hoses, their performance varies widely depending on their temperature.
Old 04-14-23, 11:28 AM
smd4

So your response is essentially, I know you are, but what am I?
Oscar Wilde can rest easy.
"That's a straw man argument!" "That's a slothful induction fallacy!" "That's proof by assertion!"

Seriously--is this how you talk in real life? If so, it must suck to hang out at a bar with you.
Old 04-14-23, 11:44 AM
Koyote

Seriously--is this how you talk in real life? If so, it must suck to hang out at a bar with you.
I don't talk to my friends this way, since they're all a lot wittier than you.

It's been fun trading insults, but it feels too easy. 'bye now.
Old 04-14-23, 12:45 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
"That's a straw man argument!" "That's a slothful induction fallacy!" "That's proof by assertion!"

Unfortunately, this is not C&V where reality, facts and civility are suspended whenever a contrarian view is put forward. Attacking just for the sake of it is generally frowned upon and called out.
Old 04-18-23, 11:13 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Even then, just having to stop for a moment to pump 30 psi would be better than having to pull the wheel off, remove the tube, find the offending object, put the new tube in, pump it back up from ZERO, and put the wheel back on.

But my experience is that most punctures aren't even noticeable and your only clue is maybe seeing a tiny bit of dried sealant where the puncture was. To date, I have had 2 flats that required me to add air, and one of them was ok to ride to the rest stop first (the other was a solo ride).

Now I have heard horror stories about larger punctures that spray the rider and bike with goo, and how messy it is to put a tube inside a tire with a pool of sealant in it, so I can definitely see that as turning some people away. Plus the hassle of refreshing the sealant every month or two. For me, the reduced down time repairing flats won me over.
Kind of like putting sealant inside the inner tube!
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Those scientists are probably long dead by now.
Not yet. I'm fine.
Old 04-18-23, 11:24 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Yeah, except back then (when I was installing Slime into customers' tubes) we didn't know how and there were no youtube tutorials. Probably took me more trial and error than it should have, but I eventually figured out how to do it without making a gooey mess.

Not yet. I'm fine.
It was a tongue-in-cheek joke about how long ago that discovery was, but glad to see you still kickin', old codger!

Last edited by urbanknight; 04-18-23 at 11:27 PM.
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 04-19-23, 01:29 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Is that a hot or cold garden hose? In my experience with garden hoses, their performance varies widely depending on their temperature.
the hot garden hose rolls up easily - but drinking water from the warm garden hose is awful

#tradeoffs
Likes For t2p:
Old 04-19-23, 04:59 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
One of the main advantages I find with tubeless tyres is when a puncture is too big for sealant alone to cope with. Just fire in a Dynaplug and you are back in the game without removing the wheel/tyre. I can't imagine plugs would work with slime filled tubes. They would only seal the tyre casing and not the punctured tube. So for that reason (and the weight/bulk of a slime filled tube) I would never consider them a viable alternative to modern tubeless tyres.

But I guess you were just being flippant right?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-19-23, 05:29 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts

Think of how ludicrous this is: I'm willing to bet that 100% of the people using tubeless have used (and most are probably still using, on some bikes) inner tubes. In other words, they have experience with BOTH systems, and are choosing to continue using tubeless. People like Leisesturm , who admit to NEVER EVEN TRYING tubeless, nonetheless feel compelled to proclaim to the rest of us that it "offers no benefits" and that they don't seal punctures well enough to complete rides -- even though many of us have DIRECT EXPERIENCE of that exact thing happening. I mean, people really should feel silly for writing such hogwash. Oh, but it's the internet -- where people double-down on easily-refuted nonsense.
It's the same with people switching to electric cars. 99.9% of those guys who made the switch previously owned petrol/diesel cars for many years/decades. Yet people who have never owned an electric car often feel compelled to "educate" on forums as to why a petrol/diesel car is superior. It's both hilarious and silly to read.

Anyway, I've used tubed tyres for decades (still using them on a couple of family bikes) and prefer tubeless whatever anyone (especially with little or no experience) may say about them.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-19-23, 09:19 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by t2p
the hot garden hose rolls up easily - but drinking water from the warm garden hose is awful

#tradeoffs
Ya gotta let it run until the water gets cold.

#childhoodwisdom
Old 04-19-23, 09:28 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Chandne
My new road tubeless foray is relatively recent thing. I carry one TPU (space is scarce) tube and starting to carry the Dynaplug darts. I suspect it will not be very easy to put a tube in and reinstall a tubeless tire. That is my main concern. I'd prefer to plug it and CO2 up the tire. With these thinner carbon rims, I'd hate to use a tire lever with any force so the tube thing freaks me out a bit.
I've had to install a tube twice on my road bike (sidewalls slashes), and once on a MTB (26" ghetto tubeless setup). It really wasn't a big deal on any of them.

As for lever force, you're freaking out over a non-issue. I've never used more lever force than I have while mounting certain tubeless tires. I've never had even a hint of a problem. Carbon rims are tougher than you think.
Old 04-19-23, 11:47 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I've had to install a tube twice on my road bike (sidewalls slashes), and once on a MTB (26" ghetto tubeless setup). It really wasn't a big deal on any of them.

As for lever force, you're freaking out over a non-issue. I've never used more lever force than I have while mounting certain tubeless tires. I've never had even a hint of a problem. Carbon rims are tougher than you think.
MTB is no issue but these new hookless road rims are so darn light. I'm afraid I may crush them with a lever. I have been working my forearms instead
Old 04-19-23, 11:51 AM
Koyote

MTB is no issue but these new hookless road rims are so darn light. I'm afraid I may crush them with a lever. I have been working my forearms instead
Hookless rims are probably stronger than hooked rims, everything else equal.
Old 04-19-23, 12:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Have you ever heard of this actually happening to someone, or is it just your feeling that CF is a fragile material? I have snapped a few plastic tire levers in half while battling tire installations, but have never damaged a CF rim in that process.
Old 04-19-23, 12:21 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Have you ever heard of this actually happening to someone, or is it just your feeling that CF is a fragile material? I have snapped a few plastic tire levers in half while battling tire installations, but have never damaged a CF rim in that process.
Have not heard of it but I also don't know many guys using carbon hookless. I managed to get the somewhat-tight Specialized tires on without a lever. It is just me thinking they may be a bit fragile. I have rarely had to use a lever on the othe r 5-6bikes I have that are tubeless but the MTB ones have hookless beads that are pretty thick so I never worry about them.
Old 04-19-23, 12:54 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Tubeless offers zero advantages...
This would be a completely false statement. But you don't know what you don't know.

it's just not worth the hassle of having to deal with messy sealant, leaks and all kinds of other tubeless specific crap which is required...I use tires with puncture protection and I don't get a lot of flats with tubes so that's what I will continue to use.
What hassle? What mess? Install a tubeless valve stem and tubeless tape, mount tire and air it up. Unscrew valve core and add sealant. Reinstall valve core and air tire up.

You know what's a hassle? Having to stop in the middle of a ride, due to a punctured tube, and then having to repair the hole on the tube or change to new tube and hoping the new tube lasts for the rest of the ride. With tubeless it seals right up and you can continue riding.
Likes For prj71:
Old 04-19-23, 12:55 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
There are plenty of tires with puncture protection which don't ride like garden hoses.
Such as?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.