Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Resigned to just using tubes this year instead of going tubeless

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Resigned to just using tubes this year instead of going tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-23, 01:26 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I gotta say fellas, this hookless thing is giving me the heebie jeebies!

I believe it's well established that I'm all for tubeless but hookless is a hard pass from me. It had massive issues before, you still need to only use approved tire and rim combinations and the pressure limits are so looow!

It's just one of those things that provides zero benefits for the rider, added risk, added complications and is basically pushed so hard, because a hookless rim is so much easier to manufacture.

I'm going to go grow my beard now. And attach mirrors to my helmet.
Old 04-19-23, 01:56 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Have not heard of it but I also don't know many guys using carbon hookless. I managed to get the somewhat-tight Specialized tires on without a lever. It is just me thinking they may be a bit fragile. I have rarely had to use a lever on the othe r 5-6bikes I have that are tubeless but the MTB ones have hookless beads that are pretty thick so I never worry about them.
Your worry is something you fabricated in your own head. Got it.
Old 04-19-23, 02:06 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I gotta say fellas, this hookless thing is giving me the heebie jeebies!

I believe it's well established that I'm all for tubeless but hookless is a hard pass from me. It had massive issues before, you still need to only use approved tire and rim combinations and the pressure limits are so looow!

It's just one of those things that provides zero benefits for the rider, added risk, added complications and is basically pushed so hard, because a hookless rim is so much easier to manufacture.

I'm going to go grow my beard now. And attach mirrors to my helmet.
I choose hooked rims for my new wheelset, but for low-psi tires (MTB and gravel), I think hookless probably is fine -- whether the tires are rated 'hookless' or not. I'm just sort of a slow adopter, so went with hooks.

Originally Posted by Eric F
Your worry is something you fabricated in your own head. Got it.
Yup. The hook is the most fragile part of the rim; eliminate that, and you actually get a stronger rim.
Old 04-20-23, 04:05 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Yesterday I took a tubeless tire off my gravel bike to rebuild the wheel. Even though it has been sitting for the winter, the sealant was still fresh looking. Orange seal endurance.

I managed to suck a lot of it back up and save it.

Finished with the wheel and retaped it and inflated the thing with a very average floor pump. It held air just fine with no sealant.

I got distracted and it was a few hours until I went to add some sealant. It still hadn’t lost any air.

Deflated it and removed the core, squeezed some sealant in, put the core back in and reinflated it, again with a basic floor pump.

Absolutely no issues.

Unless I break a spoke or cut the sidewall, that tire will be in place through the summer or longer and my chances of regular type flats is almost nonexistent in that time.

It takes a bit more care than putting in a tube but it sure doesn’t feel like a lot of work.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 04-21-23, 06:27 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71

You know what's a hassle? Having to stop in the middle of a ride, due to a punctured tube, and then having to repair the hole on the tube or change to new tube and hoping the new tube lasts for the rest of the ride. With tubeless it seals right up and you can continue riding.
This was my primary motivation to switch to tubeless. I was averaging maybe 1 or 2 flats per month on tubed road tyres. Now I average none. I have never had to remove a bike wheel at the side of the road/trail on any tubeless setup, either road or mtb. I've had to use a few Dynaplugs along the way (but only once on my road bike in over 3 years). The ability to run fast, supple road tyres without any major risk of a flat is having your cake and eating it. The ability to plug larger punctures in a few seconds without removing the wheel/tyre is the icing on the cake.

I ride a lot of sportives and I'm guaranteed to see at least half a dozen riders stopped by the roadside changing tubes. That was sometimes me before I switched to tubeless.

There's a learning curve involved with tyre/rim compatibility and choice of sealant, plug kit etc. But definitely worth it for me. I've found a combination that is easy to fit and inflate without any hassle on my rims.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-21-23, 06:31 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
This was my primary motivation to switch to tubeless. I was averaging maybe 1 or 2 flats per month on tubed road tyres. Now I average none. I have never had to remove a bike wheel at the side of the road/trail on any tubeless setup, either road or mtb. I've had to use a few Dynaplugs along the way (but only once on my road bike in over 3 years). The ability to run fast, supple road tyres without any major risk of a flat is having your cake and eating it. The ability to plug larger punctures in a few seconds without removing the wheel/tyre is the icing on the cake.

I ride a lot of sportives and I'm guaranteed to see at least half a dozen riders stopped by the roadside changing tubes. That was sometimes me before I switched to tubeless.

There's a learning curve involved with tyre/rim compatibility and choice of sealant, plug kit etc. But definitely worth it for me. I've found a combination that is easy to fit and inflate without any hassle on my rims.

Wha...Wha...Wait...But wolfchild and Leisesturm said this isn't how it works!? I mean, they would surely know, since they're too smart to have ever even tried tubeless -- right?