Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tried to take me out again, and 13.5mph average.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tried to take me out again, and 13.5mph average.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-23, 09:36 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Right, Someone needs to mass-produce and market a line of cheap guards to fit popular crank-sets. They would have to be sold with extra long chain-ring bolts to hold them in place.
If there was enough demand on the market for them, I expect someone would.
Old 04-28-23, 09:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
When did that happen? Do you have any specific examples?
Maybe....
Old 04-28-23, 10:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I have not eliminated parts from any of my bikes at all, what are you talking about ??? My single-speed was given to me as a frame and fork and headset only, so I actually added parts to it. What is it missing ??? Weird.

And I ride in a part of the world where it gets down to zero degrees, although I won't go riding if it is below 20 degrees, and prefer it to be at least around freezing or above. Riding outside in freezing weather demands pants. That is really odd that you would not be aware that people ride bicycles in weather that demands such clothing.
In my much younger days, when I did ride in work clothes on my commute (white pants!), I learned that the most effective way to protect the cuffs was to tuck them into my socks. Some of my bikes back in the day had chain guards, but they really weren't anywhere near as effective.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-28-23, 10:12 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
I have not eliminated parts from any of my bikes at all, what are you talking about ??? My single-speed was given to me as a frame and fork and headset only, so I actually added parts to it. What is it missing ??? Weird.

And I ride in a part of the world where it gets down to zero degrees, although I won't go riding if it is below 20 degrees, and prefer it to be at least around freezing or above. Riding outside in freezing weather demands pants. That is really odd that you would not be aware that people ride bicycles in weather that demands such clothing.
I've ridden in 20 degrees, descended in the mountains at or below that temperature. I've hiked through knee deep snow to get to a ridge top while dragging my bike along. I've been in the mountains when the water flowing across the road freezes before the ride is over.

During the 40+ years of mountainous riding I have done both on and off road I have never worn baggy pants. I have thermal leg warmers, tights, and clothing made for cycling which does not require a chainguard. There are also Velcro straps and even metal bands to keep your pant legs out of the chain.

If you want to have a chainguard and wear whatever you wear, that's fine. Nobody cares. Just don't suggest we are ignorant because we don't do what you do.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-28-23, 10:13 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10437 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
This is the number one reason why we have so many debates. arguments and hostility here on general forum. A handful of individuals who imitate the pros and pretend to be pros have dominated this forum and any person who doesn't dress like them and ride like them has no right to post here and doesn't deserve to be called a cyclist.
You know, most of the pushback you particularly get on this forum is because you make sweeping generalizations based on a lack of experience - like "Calorie counting is a waste of time", because you never had a weight problem. Lots of people ride fixies and/or old bikes, and/or eschew cycling-specific clothing and don't encounter hostility. The ones who DO encounter hostility are generally the ones like you and beng who come in throwing elbows and asserting some form of superiority over others who do things differently from you - like "A handful of individuals who imitate the pros and pretend to be pros", which practically drips with resentment.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-28-23, 10:16 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

If there was enough demand on the market for them, I expect someone would.
Didn't you know? Consumers are merely sheep who buy whatever Big (insert industry here) tells them to.

Old 04-28-23, 10:18 AM
big john

Originally Posted by BillyD
You have to realize that most of these guys you’re mingling with have adopted the riding standards of professional racing cyclists. As such they wear cycling apparel that, among other features, does not flap in the wind and create speed-robbing drag. So they wear tights, not pants that might also get caught in the chainrings.

But don’t let them criticize your riding habits, there are millions of other cyclists like you who don’t adhere to the racing standards which are not essential to cycling enjoyment. These guys (many, not all) just think everybody who enters here should be just like them.
There might be some criticism of his riding habits but things really go off the rails when he lashes out and starts telling others they are ignorant or don't understand or need to have their brains worked on. Then comes all the narcissism and arrogance and chest thumping about what a brilliant man he is. And virtue signaling. It's nauseating.

He wouldn't get so much crap form others if he just had a little humility. And a sense of humor. And thicker skin.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-28-23, 10:19 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by genejockey
Didn't you know? Consumers are merely sheep who buy whatever Big (insert industry here) tells them to.
Oh, yeah. I forgot. It seems that maybe Big Chainring Guard needs a new marketing department.
Old 04-28-23, 10:20 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by big john
There might be some criticism of his riding habits but things really go off the rails when he lashes out and starts telling others they are ignorant or don't understand or need to have their brains worked on. Then comes all the narcissism and arrogance and chest thumping about what a brilliant man he is. And virtue signaling. It's nauseating.

He wouldn't get so much crap form others if he just had a little humility. And a sense of humor. And thicker skin.
That's his troll game.
Old 04-28-23, 10:25 AM
big john

That's his troll game.
Sometimes I wonder how much of that crap he really believes. Like his assertion that he is smarter than any young people just because he is older. I'm 8 years older than he is and I can certainly acknowledge that there are millions of people smarter than I am at all ages.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-28-23, 10:53 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I haven’t ridden a bike while wearing pants since I was on my childhood BMX bike.
I wear long pants with lots of pockets all the time. The pants I wear on a bike are slim fitting and snug enough so I don't have a problem with them getting shredded by a chain ring. When it's really hot I wear MTB style cargo shorts with lots of pockets. There is no way that I am riding only in cycling tights alone because I like my pants to have multiple pockets, belt loops and I like to wear a belt and look normal when out in public
Old 04-28-23, 10:56 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Maybe....
I just expressed my personal opinion that's all....Just like everybody else who posts here and expresses their opinions.
Old 04-28-23, 11:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
When did that happen? Do you have any specific examples?
Sounds an awful lot like something a certain (alleged) ‘bent rider repeatedly posts. Hmmmm?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-28-23, 11:07 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

There is no way that I am riding only in cycling tights alone because I like my pants to have multiple pockets, belt loops and I like to wear a belt and look normal when out in public
I expect most here would do the same if we were doing short rides around town and to the pub. Though I'm unlikely to look normal regardless of what I wear..
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-28-23, 11:10 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Come on, man. I had a rough night and I hate the #*&%^& Eagles man!
Old 04-28-23, 11:14 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
You have to realize that most of these guys you’re mingling with have adopted the riding standards of professional racing cyclists. As such they wear cycling apparel that, among other features, does not flap in the wind and create speed-robbing drag. So they wear tights, not pants that might also get caught in the chainrings.

But don’t let them criticize your riding habits, there are millions of other cyclists like you who don’t adhere to the racing standards which are not essential to cycling enjoyment. These guys (many, not all) just think everybody who enters here should be just like them.
I ride in pants all the time. The people down at the local taproom do not want to see me in lycra.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-28-23, 11:17 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I expect most here would do the same if we were doing short rides around town and to the pub. Though I'm unlikely to look normal regardless of what I wear..
No I am not just talking about short rides. I am talking about longer rides including centuries.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-28-23, 11:32 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

No I am not just talking about short rides. I am talking about longer rides including centuries.
Whatever floats your boat, as they say. I can't stand the noise of flapping fabric, and I need a snug, seam-free fit where I contact the saddle, so I opt for lycra. There are a million ways to ride and none of them is wrong.

Well, except for riding facing traffic. That's wrong.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-28-23, 11:43 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by genejockey
Whatever floats your boat, as they say. I can't stand the noise of flapping fabric, and I need a snug, seam-free fit where I contact the saddle, so I opt for lycra. There are a million ways to ride and none of them is wrong.

Well, except for riding facing traffic. That's wrong.
Me too....On longer rides I also use padded lycra tights underneath my regular pants or shorts, all I was saying is that I don't ride in tights alone..
Old 04-28-23, 11:49 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Me too....On longer rides I also use padded lycra tights underneath my regular pants or shorts, all I was saying is that I don't ride in tights alone..
There are enough cyclists where I ride that I don't feel weird or out of place riding in tights. Now, back where I grew up in rural PA, wearing just lycra is almost a statement of defiance!

Old 04-28-23, 01:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

So I regularly ride centuries in cotton cargo shorts or jogging pants. I have no use for padding and I have latex sensitivity.

Pretty sure the pie plate on the chain ring went out of use when people stopped wearing bell bottoms.
Old 04-28-23, 01:20 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I wear long pants with lots of pockets all the time. The pants I wear on a bike are slim fitting and snug enough so I don't have a problem with them getting shredded by a chain ring. When it's really hot I wear MTB style cargo shorts with lots of pockets. There is no way that I am riding only in cycling tights alone because I like my pants to have multiple pockets, belt loops and I like to wear a belt and look normal when out in public
That's great if it works for you, and the way you ride. The only pockets I want are on the back of my jersey. Having things in my pockets against my legs would bother me, especially if they were small enough to move around.
Old 04-28-23, 01:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by livedarklions
So I regularly ride centuries in cotton cargo shorts or jogging pants. I have no use for padding and I have latex sensitivity.
I guess your under-parts are way tougher than mine. Padded bibs are a necessity for me.
Old 04-28-23, 02:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I guess your under-parts are way tougher than mine. Padded bibs are a necessity for me.

I never recommend people do what I do. I'm weird.

I do find it hilarious when I get accused of emulating pros. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-28-23, 02:39 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Nobody would mistake me for a pro either. Cycling enthusiast forum, don't get why there is SMH for bikes and gear that work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.