Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic disc brakes after period of no use

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-23, 03:51 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

My son has a MTB (a little nicer than entry-level Jamis) that has hydraulic discs. We got the bike in 2020, and he only rode it occasionally up til about a year and 1/2 ago, and hasn't touched it since. "Light use" would be an understatement. He's interested in getting back out there, but I'm strictly a rim brake and mechanical disc guy on my bikes, and have no experience with hydraulic brake maintenance. I've examined everything I can--pads, etc, and as expected that stuff is fine--like new really. The pads are barely worn. The brakes appear function fine--the feel as they did when it was new. But do we need to bleed the brakes after this long a period of no use?
Old 06-20-23, 03:56 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 237 Posts
They’re probably fine. If they feel bad or have significantly uneven bite point then consider a bleed.
Old 06-20-23, 03:57 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
My son has a MTB (a little nicer than entry-level Jamis) that has hydraulic discs. We got the bike in 2020, and he only rode it occasionally up til about a year and 1/2 ago, and hasn't touched it since. "Light use" would be an understatement. He's interested in getting back out there, but I'm strictly a rim brake and mechanical disc guy on my bikes, and have no experience with hydraulic brake maintenance. I've examined everything I can--pads, etc, and as expected that stuff is fine--like new really. The pads are barely worn. The brakes appear function fine--the feel as they did when it was new. But do we need to bleed the brakes after this long a period of no use?
No just get out and ride! Don’t worry about bleeding the system until you have a reason to. It should be good for a number of years and many miles.
Old 06-20-23, 04:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Generally I just pump the brakes a few times and everything is good. The only time I would consider if you are using DOT fluid like most SRAM brakes but if mineral oil you should be fine. If the bike was stored upside down which I would hope not then air could be introduced to the system but usually a couple pumps and all is good.
Old 06-20-23, 04:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
This is simple...Ride downhill really fast. If the brakes don't slow you down, and you crash and die, you'll know the brakes need to be bled.
Old 06-24-23, 09:28 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
The brakes appear function fine--the feel as they did when it was new. But do we need to bleed the brakes after this long a period of no use?
Only if they feel spongy.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 06-24-23, 12:45 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I have a bike with hydraulic disc brakes and they need several pumps in the spring, after a winter off, before the function as actual brakes again.