Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How does a bicycle steer?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: How does a bicycle steer?
Turning in the direction of travel
12.00%
Countersteering
28.00%
A little bit of both
30.00%
Other
30.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

How does a bicycle steer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-23, 06:55 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I see this is a poll ... are we to understand that "How a bicycle steers" will be decided by this thread? How exciting!

Yes..it appears in our brave new world, facts are based on who speaks the loudest or most often. Reality is of lesser importance.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 09-01-23, 07:24 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3149 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
You miss the point. Semantics refers to the meaning of a word; there is no confusion about the mechanism being described, just what it’s called.
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Having read this and other similar threads on the subject, there is loads of confusion. I don’t actually know what your point is really, so yeah I guess I must have missed it.
Sorry if I thought this was a discussion about how bicycles steer. For you it’s obviously all about the word “countersteer”.
Progress! I knew I could bring you along! However, you flatter yourself by saying “obviously,” which isn’t a good look given you had no idea what was going on just a few posts ago.
Old 09-01-23, 07:47 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
No need to move the goal posts to get me to agree with that, as my interest here has always been about the use and meaning of the term countersteering, not in a generic discussion about how bikes steer, particularly not in a single, arbitrarily defined condition.

Judging from your persistent engagement with my posts, it's clear you were "overly distracted," too.
Sorry if I thought this was a discussion about how bicycles steer. For you it’s obviously all about the word “countersteer”.
Apparently, the only way chaadster can change direction on a bicycle is by crossing up and backing it in like a flattracker. Guy must drop watt-bombs like a B-52.

Either that, or the collective experience of everyone who's gone through an MSF course didn't really happen.
Old 09-01-23, 07:51 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Apparently, the only way chaadster can change direction on a bicycle is by crossing up and backing it in like a flattracker. Guy must drop watt-bombs like a B-52.

Either that, or the collective experience of everyone who's gone through an MSF course didn't really happen.
Both incorrect. Not surprising, but still all wrong.
Old 09-01-23, 08:26 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Apropos to the moment with the recent re-mention of MSF courses, I think it’s worth mentioning— if only for context of the discussion— that my understanding is that countersteering was first an automotive term, discussed widely in auto rags at least by the ‘60s, and didn’t enter the two-wheeled domain until the late ‘70s, I think popularized by Keith Code; I have a copy of Twist of the Wrist from my old moto days, and I remember reading him in MotorCyclist on the matter like he was the dude who invented it. When cyclists started picking up on it, I’m not sure, but recall Brandt seeming like a pioneer when he was talking about it in the early ‘00s.
Old 09-01-23, 12:13 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Apropos to the moment with the recent re-mention of MSF courses, I think it’s worth mentioning— if only for context of the discussion— that my understanding is that countersteering was first an automotive term, discussed widely in auto rags at least by the ‘60s, and didn’t enter the two-wheeled domain until the late ‘70s, I think popularized by Keith Code; I have a copy of Twist of the Wrist from my old moto days, and I remember reading him in MotorCyclist on the matter like he was the dude who invented it. When cyclists started picking up on it, I’m not sure, but recall Brandt seeming like a pioneer when he was talking about it in the early ‘00s.
Anecdotally, having worked my entire career in professional 4-wheeled motorsport engineering in the UK, the term "countersteer" is pretty much non-existent. The only time I've ever come across it is in the motorcycle world and discussions about bicycle steering and NOT in the sense of correcting a slide.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-02-23, 09:59 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I see this is a poll ... are we to understand that "How a bicycle steers" will be decided by this thread? How exciting!
Why not? Monty Python’s “The Epilogue” determined the existence of God by a wrestling result of two falls to a submission.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2usg7s

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-02-23, 10:38 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
In other news: Discovered yesterday that have been initiating counter steering on fast turns the whole time without recognizing it. Must be an innate rather than conscious thing for me. If I consciously think about it, it doesn’t happen. Interesting pair-a-docs. People smarter than me can probably do it willfully.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-02-23, 01:12 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
In other news: Discovered yesterday that have been initiating counter steering on fast turns the whole time without recognizing it. Must be an innate rather than conscious thing for me. If I consciously think about it, it doesn’t happen. Interesting pair-a-docs. People smarter than me can probably do it willfully.
It is subtle steering inputs, almost unnoticeable.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 09-02-23, 03:22 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Anecdotally, having worked my entire career in professional 4-wheeled motorsport engineering in the UK, the term "countersteer" is pretty much non-existent. The only time I've ever come across it is in the motorcycle world and discussions about bicycle steering and NOT in the sense of correcting a slide.
For what it's worth, I heard it mentioned in the racing schools I attended. Then again, it was mentioned as something mostly reserved for "drifting competitions or rally racing".

Originally Posted by pepperbelly
It is subtle steering inputs, almost unnoticeable.
Yes, I think one way to see it in action is to stand at the end of a straight section of a race course and watch the peloton (as dead-on as possible) as they set up for the turn. You should notice a very slight twitch in the opposite direction right before they lean into the turn. None of the riders are consciously thinking about it, it's simply how they naturally/intuitively initiate the lean.
Old 09-02-23, 03:42 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by urbanknight
For what it's worth, I heard it mentioned in the racing schools I attended. Then again, it was mentioned as something mostly reserved for "drifting competitions or rally racing".
Was this in the US? "Opposite-Lock" is the term commonly used in the UK for correcting a slide/drifting.
Old 09-02-23, 03:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I knew this was going to get really complicated.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-02-23, 07:23 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 378 Posts
I have a Newspapers.com account which is by no means definitive but they have a lot of US newspapers in their collection. This is the first mention I could find of countersteering and it is in relation to cars. This is from 1962.

Likes For john m flores:
Old 09-02-23, 09:11 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Was this in the US? "Opposite-Lock" is the term commonly used in the UK for correcting a slide/drifting.
Yes the US, and I'm not surprised we have to snub our nose at British terms and do it our own way even if it's less accurate. However, wouldn't "lock" suggest steering all the way to the limit of the wheel?
Old 09-02-23, 09:15 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by john m flores
I have a Newspapers.com account which is by no means definitive but they have a lot of US newspapers in their collection. This is the first mention I could find of countersteering and it is in relation to cars. This is from 1962.

In a rear wheel drive vehicle you steer into a skid. In a front wheel drive vehicle you steer away from the skid.
Neither of these techniques are counter steering like used on motorcycles and bicycles.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 09-02-23, 09:33 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I don't know, I've not thought too much about it. My bike tend to turn in the direction the front wheel goes.. Either I turn the bars or I lean and the bars turn.

What I want to know is about Thermos bottles. If I put something hot in it it stays hot. If I put something cold in it it stays cold. But how does it know?

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 09-02-23, 09:55 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by john m flores

Very interesting; thank you. It corroborates my take on the history, but also most interestingly, it establishes an early reference for use of the term “countersteer” in the UK and suggests the term was not common in the US at that time, given the author’s explicit note that countersteer is what “we Americans” call steering into a skid.

As you say, it’s not definitive, but the author does have the title, “automobile editor” and was in England on a story, suggesting This Week was not some small town mag, as well as the author having some famlliarity, if not expertise, in the field of automobiles.

A solid reference, and much better than my own, aging recollections as a voracious, young reader of an inherited collection of vintage Road & Track magazines!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 09-02-23, 10:12 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

In a rear wheel drive vehicle you steer into a skid. In a front wheel drive vehicle you steer away from the skid.
Neither of these techniques are counter steering like used on motorcycles and bicycles.
Yikes! Terrible advice all around, that, and yes, countersteering like that is *exactly* what you’d do on a bike/moto if you’re rear wheel was in a skid.

The video upthread was pretty explicit, but this his article puts the latter point quite plainly as well:

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-d...ut-of-skid.htm
Old 09-02-23, 10:38 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Yikes! Terrible advice all around, that, and yes, countersteering like that is *exactly* what you’d do on a bike/moto if you’re rear wheel was in a skid.

The video upthread was pretty explicit, but this his article puts the latter point quite plainly as well:

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-d...ut-of-skid.htm
I have had to steer into skids in rain, snow and on ice. It’s s reflex now after driving since ‘74.
Old 09-03-23, 06:49 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I have had to steer into skids in rain, snow and on ice. It’s s reflex now after driving since ‘74.
Respect. I suspect the disconnect is in the different ways cars can skid, but that's probably too far afield for this discussion, and it should suffice to say that that when the rear end of a bike, car, or moto is coming around the front end in a slide, the correct control response is countersteering.

FWD countersteering all day here; yes, it’s deliberately induced and not a situation you’re likely to find yourself in on a grocery run, but plainly countsteer is a control method for FWD cars:

Old 09-03-23, 07:53 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,838 Posts
FWD countersteering all day here; yes, it’s deliberately induced and not a situation you’re likely to find yourself in on a grocery run, but plainly countsteer is a control method for FWD cars:
Excellent information. I will keep this in mind when riding my FWD bicycle.
Old 09-03-23, 09:03 AM
PeteHski

Yes the US, and I'm not surprised we have to snub our nose at British terms and do it our own way even if it's less accurate. However, wouldn't "lock" suggest steering all the way to the limit of the wheel?
It does imply that when taken literally, but it's the common term used in UK motorsport for any level of steering correction, not just the max limit. Counter-steer is a more accurate description, but we generally don't use that term for whatever reason. I only ever hear the term "counter-steer" in relation to 2-wheeled steering and nearly always referring to normal turn initiation, which has far more relevance in this discussion.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-03-23, 10:51 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
Wheel lock?? LOL That's what you do so the thief can't drive away. LOL. Try explain that to granny. Couldn't come up with a more STUPID obtuse term in a million years.
That Prelude is countersteering?? LOL hahahaha ...... Like I said, it's keeping the front wheels pointing in the forward DIRECTION. NO quackery anti-science science theory involved. It's acting like a pendulum, with the front wheels as the fulcrum. The rear swings, but the front wheels DO NOT.
So this week I was trying some things with my CCM 3 speed. I yanked the bar several inches. The bike balked and physics too over. The wheel went back the other way before it settled into the turn. But you are sure it's subconscious thinking or something. LOL .
But yah, if the wheel is turned left already when you pull right, then there won't be a delay.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 09-03-23 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-03-23, 11:27 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

It does imply that when taken literally, but it's the common term used in UK motorsport for any level of steering correction, not just the max limit. Counter-steer is a more accurate description, but we generally don't use that term for whatever reason. I only ever hear the term "counter-steer" in relation to 2-wheeled steering and nearly always referring to normal turn initiation, which has far more relevance in this discussion.
So just out of curiosity, would you call this maneuver "opposite lock"? Or do you Brits just not want to talk about roundy round racing? And yes, I know this is way off from what we're talking about with bicycles.
Old 09-03-23, 11:47 AM
PeteHski

So just out of curiosity, would you call this maneuver "opposite lock"? Or do you Brits just not want to talk about roundy round racing? And yes, I know this is way off from what we're talking about with bicycles.
As I said “opposite lock” is a term I only hear in relation to 4-wheeled vehicles. Never heard it applied to bikes. Speedway was very popular here in the 70s (Belle Vue etc). I don’t follow it myself, but seems to be getting more TV coverage again now.
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.