Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why every thing you read claims E-bike give a better work out ??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why every thing you read claims E-bike give a better work out ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-23, 10:55 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
E-bikes will unambiguously give you a much better workout if you run the battery all the way down before you climb a 2000 ft hill to get home.

It might be due to my inexperience, fit, or something else, but my legs feel more fatigued after an e-bike ride vs. a conventional ride.
Old 09-10-23, 11:04 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
One problem is "e-bike" refers to everything from a regular bike with light pedal assistance to essentially an electric motorcycle. The former I can definitely see for folks who can no longer put out the effort they used to but still want to ride - more power to 'em, you might say. But the latter? I feel like they're taking advantage of bicycle infrastructure. And the people on them are not getting any exercise at all.
Not to mention that most ebikes have multiple modes from pedal assist to full throttle. And I've seen these full throttle ebikes on the MUTs and they ride at dangerous speeds approaching those of mopeds.
Old 09-10-23, 11:24 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

They also cause impotence and communism. Won't someone think of the children?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-10-23, 11:24 AM
jzr756

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Weird, seems it would take some mental gymnastics to support. .Anyway, not good BF etiquette to bait the e-motor folks from their lair.
​ I agree 👍💯 very poor etiquette . No malice intended. my apologies for my ill thought out question/poor choice of words. (Maybe Alzheimer's setting in) My bad, . Nothing beats just enjoying the great outdoors. Maybe admin can delete.

Last edited by jzr756; 09-10-23 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-10-23, 11:33 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
A friend of mine is an ex-randonneur with a wall full of K-hound medals and good PBP results. Then he got A-fib, had ablations (plural) but still has to keep his HR below 120. He can ride anywhere he wants on his pedal assist e-bike and for as long as his battery will last. On a conventional bike, he simply can't ride anywhere fun enough. The joy was missing, but he gets it back on the e-bike. I don't think his is a unique story. I went to the 80th birthday party of a female friend the other day. Today, she's doing a 40 mile group ride with 2700' of gain - on her pedal-assist ebike. She founded this group ride series about 40 years ago, got the e-bike a couple years ago.
Old 09-10-23, 11:36 AM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I have not noticed any articles claiming that people using e-bikes got a better workout. Lots of comments that people will ride further on an e-bike with less worry about bonking and people that would ride one circuit on trails and with an e-bike would consider doing a second circuit but that cannot be generalized to everyone on an e-bike.

E-bike help with riding up steep hills or riding into a strong headwind. One can also adjust the amount of pedal assistance provided by the motor for the situation and the fitness of the rider.

Not all that different from when triple chainrings started to appear and bikes had incredibly low gears more suited to pulling a cargo trailer.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 09-10-23, 11:49 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Lots of young, very fit, healthy people around here ride high-end e-mountain bikes.

They don't do this for medical reasons, or to get a different workout.

They do it purely for fun.

As long as they do no harm to the trails or to others, why should this bother anyone?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-10-23, 11:53 AM
jzr756

Originally Posted by Calsun
I have not noticed any articles claiming that people using e-bikes got a better workout. Lots of comments that people will ride further on an e-bike with less worry about bonking and people that would ride one circuit on trails and with an e-bike would consider doing a second circuit but that cannot be generalized to everyone on an e-bike.

E-bike help with riding up steep hills or riding into a strong headwind. One can also adjust the amount of pedal assistance provided by the motor for the situation and the fitness of the rider.

Not all that different from when triple chainrings started to appear and bikes had incredibly low gears more suited to pulling a cargo trailer.
I totally get it. Makes sense. Much thanks for the informative enlightenment. 💯👍
Old 09-10-23, 11:56 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,382 Times in 7,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Unless someone is forcing me off the trail or something, why should I care what people ride?

If it keeps people out of cars, and there are fewer cars on the road, that is a Good Thing, ipso facto.

My wife got a class 1 e-roadbike a couple of years ago, due to hip and knee issues. It helps her a lot, and inspired her to get a nice non-assist titanium road bike.

I recently built up an e-bike conversion. I haven't really used it yet, apart from test rides, but I set it up in such a way (30T front sprocket) that I doubt I am going to be blasting past anyone.

There's a big difference between the above examples and Sur Rons ripping up the trails, complete with their vestigial pedals.

A little bit of nuance here could help.
...first, and most importantly, you are in the wrong forum for nuance. Second, in passing, you are going to hell for this.
Old 09-10-23, 12:36 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Ebikes are like training wheels.
Concerned that you can't make the climb? You have Turbo Mode!
Biological Range Anxiety? You now have a battery backup!

Just don't act like you're a faster rider.

"I'm getting a better workout on the same trail as you!!"
(*snips wires*)
You are now!
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 09-10-23, 12:50 PM
jzr756

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
A friend of mine is an ex-randonneur with a wall full of K-hound medals and good PBP results. Then he got A-fib, had ablations (plural) but still has to keep his HR below 120. He can ride anywhere he wants on his pedal assist e-bike and for as long as his battery will last. On a conventional bike, he simply can't ride anywhere fun enough. The joy was missing, but he gets it back on the e-bike. I don't think his is a unique story. I went to the 80th birthday party of a female friend the other day. Today, she's doing a 40 mile group ride with 2700' of gain - on her pedal-assist ebike. She founded this group ride series about 40 years ago, got the e-bike a couple years ago.
That's awesome at 80 years old! I can only hope to be performing at that level @ 80 years old. My sincerest apologies for asking such a dumb a__ question. Had no intention to incite/offend. Thanks for sharing.
Likes For jzr756:
Old 09-10-23, 12:54 PM
jzr756

Originally Posted by PeteHski
There are different types of e-bike. The ones ridden for exercise have to be pedalled just like a normal bike. They can be useful for training if you live in a hilly or windy location. For example you want to do a long Z2 ride, but your route has loads of steep climbs that would make it unfeasible on a normal bike. An e-road bike with proportional pedal assistance would allow you to ride the steep climbs in Z2. If you do want to ride harder, you can simply reduce the assist level.

I have a friend who uses an e-road bike for a 50 mile hilly commute to rack up his Z2 miles. He finds it very effective.
Thanks for sharing 🙏.
Old 09-10-23, 01:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
“You can’t fool us by agreeing with us.”—Roy Neary
Old 09-10-23, 01:27 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,382 Times in 7,210 Posts

It might be due to my inexperience, fit, or something else, but my legs feel more fatigued after an e-bike ride vs. a conventional ride.
...it's the electrical field, coming from the battery draining through the stator. My guess would be that you are also Covid 19 vaccinated. It's been scientifically documented, that this is an unintentional side effect of the 5G chip they put into you when you got vaxxed. Your best bet here, assuming you cannot wear a reflective full body biohazard suit when you ride (they are cumbersome), is to line your helment with aluminum foil as a partial countermeasure. You're welcome.

...the unclear mechanism of EMF function and poor reproducibility of experimental results also remain big challenges in the field of bioelectromagnetics. Bionics is a useful methodology that gains inspiration from nature to serve human life and industry. We have discussed the feasibility of applying bionic approach on the selection of therapeutic EMFs, which is based on the findings of natural EMFs. Finally, we advocate that the detailed information of EMFs and biological samples should be thoroughly recorded in future research and reported in publications. In addition, the publication of studies with negative results should also be allowed.

https://link.springer.com/article/10...235-021-0015-1
Old 09-10-23, 01:30 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun

Adding a motor is like having low gears? Puhleeze.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-10-23, 02:03 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Seemed to me as if "I get more exercise on an e-bike" was almost a required mantra a few years ago. I hear it less now.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 09-10-23, 02:07 PM
big john

A friend recently got a Creo and said the same thing. He said he had to learn to ride it effectively to stay with the fast group on club rides. Said he had to spin more than he ever has, (he's always been a masher).
The other thing is, he's going faster than before and can keep up better. I think this is the crux of why he gets more fatigued, he's just working harder.
Old 09-10-23, 02:30 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
They are talks about Class 1 or 2 ebikes- basically the ones you HAVE to pedal and have no throttle. You can get a good workout on this if you want to. However, most regular cyclists will lose power over time if riding an ebike instead of a regular bike. A lower heart rate ride o an ebike can indeed be healthier over time than suffering on a regular bike if doing lots of climbing. You will still lose leg power. The throttle ebikes are ink riding mopeds and do nothing for you BUT they are a nice way to get around instead of burning gasoline.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 09-10-23, 02:54 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
My wife has a class I ebike and it's the difference of riding or not riding/barely riding. With her non-ebike, she was basically toast just getting a few hundred yards away from the house. Everything is about 4% grade. So, she could ride for a few minutes, be total gassed, and she was done.

With the ebike, she can do 20+ mile rides lasting well over an hour, is pedaling unless coasting downhill. She takes on steeper hills that she still can't make it up (9%+) giving it her all. But she's getting a little farther up those. So, is getting fitter.

She's clearly getting much more exercise with the ebike than she would otherwise. And just as obvious, less than she would get, IF, she could do those same 20-mile rides without an ebike. But she can't, and is unlikely to every ride without the ebike.

Obviously if you do the same ride at the same pace, you're going to get less of a workout with an ebike. But certainly in some situations the ebike provides a wider range of workout possibilities and this could very well lead to better workouts in some cases.

Another perspective, if all that matter was how hard it was to pedal, then I guess we would all get a better workout riding a bike with under-inflated tires, and dry, hard to turn wheel bearings. Let's throw in some brake drag while we're at it. But I think most of us prefer some higher level of performance than a rusty old bike would give us. Why is that? We all know, it's more fun to ride smoothly and easily than to be grinding along.
Old 09-10-23, 02:59 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
What is a " better workout" ?....better compared to what ?...What defines an effective workout ?
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-10-23, 03:50 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I can only speak for myself. I definitely get a better workout on my e bike than I did on my regular bike and its way cheaper. For me, bicycling is one of those activities where passion and enthusiasm trump common sense.. I landed in the hospital twice in one year after pushing things too hard. One nearly cost me my life. The e bike is way cheaper than the Medicare deductibles. I went from 1,600 miles a year to over 4,500 miles a year with the e bike.
I don't know how some of these people can just throttle along a bike path. My legs and backside would cramp up in a short time without pedaling. I suppose its the Lazy-Boy tractor seats that allow them to do this. Pedaling would be difficult for any distance on a seat like that. Where I observe the greatest number of non pedaling e bikers is at the marina and the camp grounds. .That crowd also seems to be the most clueless on etiquette. I generally see much better etiquette on MUP's.
Old 09-10-23, 04:19 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by big john
A friend recently got a Creo and said the same thing. He said he had to learn to ride it effectively to stay with the fast group on club rides. Said he had to spin more than he ever has, (he's always been a masher).
The other thing is, he's going faster than before and can keep up better. I think this is the crux of why he gets more fatigued, he's just working harder.
Yeah, that makes sense. I have always been a low-cadence masher. So, maybe it would make me a better cyclist, and it sounds like your friend at least validates the OP's premise.
Old 09-10-23, 04:44 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I Googled it and came up with this:-

https://storybicycles.com/blogs/ebik...20participants.
“Traditional bike riders” ==> people who don’t ride much (AKA “casual riders”).

E-bikes might be too expensive for “casual riders”.
Old 09-10-23, 05:17 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Wasn't it established long ago that a heavier bike provides a better workout than a lighter bike? And aren't ebikes generally heavier?

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-10-23, 05:19 PM
big john

Yeah, that makes sense. I have always been a low-cadence masher. So, maybe it would make me a better cyclist, and it sounds like your friend at least validates the OP's premise.
It's the extra speed that makes him work. He was a great endurance cyclist in years past but gained a bunch of weight. Another fiend has a Creo because of a-fib. He's fine on long-ish climbing rides unless the pace is really high, then he gets the a-fib. Same thing happens to me but I don't have a motor.

The drag for me is there were guys I could ride with or even drop and now that they have motors it's like they're 30 years younger. Our club banned e-bikes years ago but now there can be 5 of them on a ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.