Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with Walmart and Shimano?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's the deal with Walmart and Shimano?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-24, 08:10 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Perhaps you should explain the point, because I think a lot of us assumed there wasn't one when the OP opened this with saying he "puttered back to look at bikes at Walmart".
If you owned a reputable brand with a solid history of making quality items (it could be anything) and you then decide to make crap items so you can partner with a company that makes crap, how is that a good look for your brand as a whole? You can certainly argue that the Shimano components on WM bikes are not representative of the Shimano brand as a whole, but that's just a weak rationalization to justify the manufacture and sale of crap. Crap is never a good look for any company. Is that clear enough?
Likes For Turnin_Wrenches:
Old 01-22-24, 08:18 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
If you owned a reputable brand with a solid history of making quality items (it could be anything) and you then decide to make crap items so you can partner with a company that makes crap, how is that a good look for your brand as a whole? You can certainly argue that the Shimano components on WM bikes are not representative of the Shimano brand as a whole, but that's just a weak rationalization to justify the manufacture and sale of crap. Crap is never a good look for any company. Is that clear enough?
That also answers my post (the one above the one you responded to here). Thanks.
Old 01-22-24, 08:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
You have totally missed the point.... or perhaps you intentionally ignored it altogether .

I didnt intentionally ignore your point, I can say that with confidence since I, you know, tried to respond to what I thought your point was.
Now yeah maybe I did miss your point. I thought I responded to your point, but if I didnt, my bad. I went back and read your comment that I responded to and am still unsure how I missed your point.

- There was discussion amongst many posters about licensing a brand out and examples given. There was discussion on if this was good or bad.
- You commented, to nobody in particular since there was no quote or @ used, that the Shimano brand being on Walmart bikes is not a good look for Shimano. You then cite personal experience with having to work on low end Box Store bikes.
- I questioned you on how it is not a good look for Shimano. That seems to directly respond to your point. Your point was that it isnt a good look and I disagreed with your point and gave my opinion on why I disagree. Based on your full post, I inferred that you feel it isnt a good look because the brand name will be associated with low end junk components. Is that not correct?...were you not trying to claim that? If you werent trying to claim that, then what exactly was your point?
- Multiple people 'liked' my post, so they seem to agree with my analysis/response to your question. Did they also miss the point?

ETA - I see you responded to someone else who also didnt understand your point. Your response is below...
I see that you claim you were using 'good look' as a literal good look when it is commonly used in Western English as 'thats bad'. So you are claiming it isnt a good look in that it doesnt make their brand look better so they shouldnt do it. Gotcha. Ok a couple responses-
- Not everything needs to be a 'good look' for a business decision to make sense from a financial perspective and/or a reputational perspective. Companies dont need to only ever produce products/goods/services that make them look great, if their reputation doesnt get hurt by producing lower end product/goods/services alongside their better stuff.
- There are many products/goods/services that are neither a 'good look' nor a 'bad look'. This wide middle ground is where Shimano's low end drivetrain stuff exists. Nobody that is a cycling enthusiast holds low end products against Shimano when it comes to the drivetrain components they would use(Tiagra and higher, for example). Enthusiast cyclists easily understand that the quality has nothing to do with the quality of the other, and they easily see that pricing reflects that differentiation.
- Shimano has had entry level drivetrain components for 50 years- I am just going back to the bike boom era only here because half a century of offering both low end and high end components should tell you that it definitely isnt a bad look for Shimano to sell low end components, and maybe they have a good finger on the pulse of what is or isnt a good look for their brand when it comes to products they offer.
- It could be very easily argued that it is a good look for Shimano to sell entry level components and partner with Big Box brands. They are offering a bike shop brand name to the bike, and that means the bike isnt spec'd with SRAM or Microshift, their competitors. Nobody that buys a $100 bike and will eventually buy a bike shop quality/priced bike will avoid Shimano in that second purchase due to their low end bike's drivetrain being heavy/clunky. What they will have is the Shimano name association when they go to spend $800 on their first quality entry level hybrid or MTB.

Titleist sells golf balls that run the spectrum of cost. Nobody hits an inexpensive entry level Titleist and then thinks its a bad look for Titleist to make and sell entry level golf balls when they also make Tour quality golf balls. Heck, Titleist(many models) golf balls are even sold in Big Box stores so there is a direct connection between Titleist and cheap large retailers...yet it consistently outnumbers all other balls combined by double when players are surveyed on what they use. This is also true at high level amateur events and college events, so lets not claim its a sponsorship reason.
There are other similar examples, to be clear. These things may not seem like a good look to you, but that doesnt mean they are a bad look, and it also doesnt mean they are not a good look.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 01-22-24 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-22-24, 11:05 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
It is such a "bad look" for Shimano that the company is as healthy as ever after what, 50 years of looking bad?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-22-24, 11:15 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Companies "look good" when the financials look good.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 01-22-24, 12:14 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
I suspect Shimano sells a whole lot more big box level stuff at a higher profit margin than Dura Ace. I also suspect a person buying Dura Ace really doesn't care they sell a RD-TZ31-GS as well, if they even know at all. The big box guys will gladly pop for a 3 cent Shimano sticker to go on the bike if they feel it will steer the customer into making a purchase of a product that is mostly going to sit unused by the purchaser because they recognize the name.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-22-24, 12:27 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I didnt intentionally ignore your point, I can say that with confidence since I, you know, tried to respond to what I thought your point was.
Now yeah maybe I did miss your point. I thought I responded to your point, but if I didnt, my bad. I went back and read your comment that I responded to and am still unsure how I missed your point.

- There was discussion amongst many posters about licensing a brand out and examples given. There was discussion on if this was good or bad.
- You commented, to nobody in particular since there was no quote or @ used, that the Shimano brand being on Walmart bikes is not a good look for Shimano. You then cite personal experience with having to work on low end Box Store bikes.
- I questioned you on how it is not a good look for Shimano. That seems to directly respond to your point. Your point was that it isnt a good look and I disagreed with your point and gave my opinion on why I disagree. Based on your full post, I inferred that you feel it isnt a good look because the brand name will be associated with low end junk components. Is that not correct?...were you not trying to claim that? If you werent trying to claim that, then what exactly was your point?
- Multiple people 'liked' my post, so they seem to agree with my analysis/response to your question. Did they also miss the point?

ETA - I see you responded to someone else who also didnt understand your point. Your response is below...

I see that you claim you were using 'good look' as a literal good look when it is commonly used in Western English as 'thats bad'. So you are claiming it isnt a good look in that it doesnt make their brand look better so they shouldnt do it. Gotcha. Ok a couple responses-
- Not everything needs to be a 'good look' for a business decision to make sense from a financial perspective and/or a reputational perspective. Companies dont need to only ever produce products/goods/services that make them look great, if their reputation doesnt get hurt by producing lower end product/goods/services alongside their better stuff.
- There are many products/goods/services that are neither a 'good look' nor a 'bad look'. This wide middle ground is where Shimano's low end drivetrain stuff exists. Nobody that is a cycling enthusiast holds low end products against Shimano when it comes to the drivetrain components they would use(Tiagra and higher, for example). Enthusiast cyclists easily understand that the quality has nothing to do with the quality of the other, and they easily see that pricing reflects that differentiation.
- Shimano has had entry level drivetrain components for 50 years- I am just going back to the bike boom era only here because half a century of offering both low end and high end components should tell you that it definitely isnt a bad look for Shimano to sell low end components, and maybe they have a good finger on the pulse of what is or isnt a good look for their brand when it comes to products they offer.
- It could be very easily argued that it is a good look for Shimano to sell entry level components and partner with Big Box brands. They are offering a bike shop brand name to the bike, and that means the bike isnt spec'd with SRAM or Microshift, their competitors. Nobody that buys a $100 bike and will eventually buy a bike shop quality/priced bike will avoid Shimano in that second purchase due to their low end bike's drivetrain being heavy/clunky. What they will have is the Shimano name association when they go to spend $800 on their first quality entry level hybrid or MTB.

Titleist sells golf balls that run the spectrum of cost. Nobody hits an inexpensive entry level Titleist and then thinks its a bad look for Titleist to make and sell entry level golf balls when they also make Tour quality golf balls. Heck, Titleist(many models) golf balls are even sold in Big Box stores so there is a direct connection between Titleist and cheap large retailers...yet it consistently outnumbers all other balls combined by double when players are surveyed on what they use. This is also true at high level amateur events and college events, so lets not claim its a sponsorship reason.
There are other similar examples, to be clear. These things may not seem like a good look to you, but that doesnt mean they are a bad look, and it also doesnt mean they are not a good look.
You are mischaracterizing my comments (which are quite clear and straightforward), inferring things that need not be inferred, and you are trying to take the discussion off in an entirely different direction. I'm not speaking in tongues, I'm addressing the OP. If you disagree, that's fine; but many of your comments and follow-up questions are off point, off-topic, just plain off. I'm not sure why, but I'm moving on the greener pastures.

Happy riding

Last edited by Turnin_Wrenches; 01-22-24 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-22-24, 12:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

You seem to understand the point I made (which is quite simple and straightforward), but you then go on to mischaracterize my comments and are also trying to take the discussion off in an entirely different direction. I'm not sure why, but I'm moving on the greener pastures. Happy riding
I have no idea why you lined out a couple of my comments and then fully lined out all the added comments.
It appears you don't want to explain, so OK then.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-22-24, 12:47 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I have no idea why you lined out a couple of my comments and then fully lined out all the added comments.
It appears you don't want to explain, so OK then.
I also edited my most recent comment because after re-reading your comments I realized you don't understand what I actually said. Hence, no need to explain because it's already spelled out very clearly for you if you just take it at face value. All of your "added comments" (as you call them) are superfluous and off-topic.
Old 01-22-24, 12:54 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Whatever .... absent the drama it seems one poster thought hat it would hurt Shimano to have its name plastered on Wally-bikes, and others pointed out that Shimano is still by far the biggest group set manufacturer on the planet so it seems the stickers aren't effective as poison.

Plus, Shimano helps a lot of people catch fish .... but as the adage explains, fish don't need bicycles ... so ultimately, what does it all mean?

No matter how fast I have ever ridden, I have never caughta fish, and most of my bikes have Shimano group sets .... its that because of the Wally-bike poison effect?

We need to do more sciencing on this.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-22-24, 02:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I also suspect a person buying Dura Ace really doesn't care they sell a RD-TZ31-GS as well, if they even know at all.
I certainly didn’t care.

Some people just don’t get it.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-22-24, 02:21 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I certainly didn’t care.

Some people just don’t get it.
Speaking of which, I see that the recently-revived zombie Trek thread has managed both to re-ignite 'Lance' and threaten to become a new 'Baby Bike Bolts' thread. Quite an achievement!
Likes For badger1:
Old 01-22-24, 02:40 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by badger1
Speaking of which, I see that the recently-revived zombie Trek thread has managed both to re-ignite 'Lance' and threaten to become a new 'Baby Bike Bolts' thread. Quite an achievement!
Baby Bike Bolts isn’t any fun now that you can’t see the milk carton photo. Just thinking about that photo makes me laugh. Probably the funniest thing I have ever seen on BF.
Old 01-22-24, 02:44 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Baby Bike Bolts isn’t any fun now that you can’t see the milk carton photo. Just thinking about that photo makes me laugh. Probably the funniest thing I have ever seen on BF.
Agree ... completely!
Old 01-22-24, 03:43 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by badger1
Agree ... completely!
I wish I had downloaded it. BF needs a Hall of Fame forum for stuff like that.
Old 01-22-24, 05:21 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 175 Posts
I was riding my bike today, and it dawned on me that all my Shimano parts say Shimano - the shifters, the deraillers, the freewheel, and probably other stuff. On the bikes I saw at Walmart, I'd guess they have exactly one Shimano part installed on them - the rear derailleur. What are the odds that the rest of Walmart's genuine "Shimano equipped" bikes are put together with generic no-name parts?
Old 01-22-24, 06:05 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I was riding my bike today, and it dawned on me that all my Shimano parts say Shimano - the shifters, the deraillers, the freewheel, and probably other stuff. On the bikes I saw at Walmart, I'd guess they have exactly one Shimano part installed on them - the rear derailleur. What are the odds that the rest of Walmart's genuine "Shimano equipped" bikes are put together with generic no-name parts?
Seriously, does it matter?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-22-24, 07:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

What are the odds that the rest of Walmart's genuine "Shimano equipped" bikes are put together with generic no-name parts?
seven
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-22-24, 07:48 PM
indyfabz

So this is all based on a guess. Got it.

BTW…Not one of my DA 9000 components reads “SHIMANO”. Neither do the FD or RD on my touring bike. The hubs do, in tiny lettering.

Last edited by indyfabz; 01-22-24 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-22-24, 07:56 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Think about how many of those Shimano MEGA RANGE freewheels/cassettes have been sold through the years. Talk about a money maker!
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-22-24, 08:03 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Only to those on the fence about getting a bike with the latest Ultegra group set or that pretty bike at Walmart with the Shimano sticker.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-22-24, 08:08 PM
ScottCommutes

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It matters to me because I'm interested in the business end of it.
It probably matters to the brand managers at Shimano and Walmart.
It probably doesn't matter to you or 99.9% of the rest of polite society.
Of course, that other 0.1% of society might be shopping for a Walmart bike.

I see it as a consumer protection issue. DeWalt frequently puts together cordless power tool kits for Home Depot with only one upgraded tool or battery in the kit and markets the kits in a way that leads people to believe that everything is similarly upgraded. If Walmart/Shimano engage in similar shenanigans, i would want to know so I can be more cautious when dealing with either.
Old 01-22-24, 08:14 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I walked through the bike isle at Target today. I should have checked to see what the Schwinns were equipped with.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-22-24, 08:16 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
It matters to me because I'm interested in the business end of it.
It probably matters to the brand managers at Shimano and Walmart.
It probably doesn't matter to you or 99.9% of the rest of polite society.
Of course, that other 0.1% of society might be shopping for a Walmart bike.

I see it as a consumer protection issue. DeWalt frequently puts together cordless power tool kits for Home Depot with only one upgraded tool or battery in the kit and markets the kits in a way that leads people to believe that everything is similarly upgraded. If Walmart/Shimano engage in similar shenanigans, i would want to know so I can be more cautious when dealing with either.
Okaaaaay.
Old 01-22-24, 08:19 PM
ScottCommutes

So this is all based on a guess. Got it.
Totally - I can't look at a random unmarked part on a Walmart bike and say who made it.

Let's call it an informed guess. If Walmart loves Shimano so much that they go to the trouble of putting obvious logos on the chainstays and the rear derailleur, I don't think it's much of a leap to expect them to do the same for other Shimano parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.